THEN AND NOW: Photos that show how glamorous flying used to be

knot4u

Repeat Offender
I remember 727 and 737 in the later years, I must be wrong about the DC9. The L1011’s flew the Hawaii routes.

At Chino we have a DC3 in PSA paint.
There's a good chance the airplane was an MD-80, I was a very young enthusiast and could've easily mistaken one for the other. I took that trip a few times and I'm 90% certain it wasn't a 727.

mrivc211

If you fly into Chino in a 152 and buy breakfast at Flo's for your CFI and yourself you're probably going overgross when you leave.
True. Unfortunately both my former CFIs passed away in accidents. One guy VMCd in 2006 in a king air down in Mexico.
The other one didn’t end well either: Foothill Ranch pilot killed in crash – Orange County Register

Luckily I was in my 172 with my lady friend so we had plenty of extra useful load

knot4u

Repeat Offender
True. Unfortunately both my former CFIs passed away in accidents. One guy VMCd in 2006 in a king air down in Mexico.
The other one didn’t end well either: Foothill Ranch pilot killed in crash – Orange County Register

Luckily I was in my 172 with my lady friend so we had plenty of extra useful load
The last time I saw the CFI that helped me get my ppl I was walking with my, at the time fiancé, down a corridor at LAX on our way to Maui to get married. It had been a few years but I recognized something about one of pilots walking ahead of us and walked a little faster to confirm. Sure enough it was him and he was flying for Skywest, he seemed happy at the time. I have obviously lost track of him since, it would've been in October 2003 and his initials are DR. Any updates would be appreciated if anyone here was around that base back then.

mrivc211

Small world.
I knew and flew with both of these guys. Got my IR from Jim.
It definitely is small. In sept 2000 when I signed up for this site, I was working for a department store and going to school working my way up. Two days after signing up for jetcareers, I went to work and a nice lady who worked on the second floor had heard I was an aspiring pilot. She came down to let me know her son was also interested in it and that the two of us should have a chat. She said he was coming in to have lunch with her that afternoon and that she would stop by with him. When we met each other, he had mentioned I should join a website called "jetcareers" for lots of valuable info. I laughed and said I joined it a few days ago. He asked what my screen name was, and when I told him, turns out he and I had DM'd each other just a few days earlier for some question. What were the odds of that. An entire world of people and turns out he and I had messaged each other days earlier on a random forum on the internet. I don't see him much on these forums anymore as he became a nurse and has a family now. Talk about a small world.

I got the chance to fly with Dan in that C210. It was a great airplane, and Dan was a great pilot. I remember flying SNA-SBA-CRQ-SNA in it with him. The night before I was so excited to have a "long leg" from SBA to CRQ. On approach into CRQ, the ceiling was down to 400 or 500'. I asked Dan if I could fly the approach. His response was yes, but you could tell it wasn't a happy yes. He had mentioned that if I were to get off glideslope or localizer even just a little, he would take the plane from me to which I acknowledged. All these years later, when students ask me if they can do risky things and my blood pressure rises instantly, I remind myself how patient Dan was with me and that I should also be patient with them so they too one day can look back and have nice things to say.

@Derg

Last edited: