THEN AND NOW: Photos that show how glamorous flying used to be

Cazadores

People talk about how cool these liveries were and how much sweeter they were back in the day, but when you walk inside a house decorated similarly from the same era the response is polar opposite.
I was sitting in first class on an America West 737 as we turned off of Laguna Beach to land north at SNA during a beautiful off shore flow morning in January, right around the time they were changing to the turquoise and orange paint.

He looked out the porthole from his jumpseat and remarked how beautiful it was, and how nothing was turquoise and orange. I observed he didnt sound to happy about the new paint, and commiserated I didnt care for Uniteds new gray, he said "if you wouldn't decorate your house like it, why should you an airplane?"

Made some sense I guess. However the refrigerator in the house I grew up in, like the dishwasher, pretty much looked like an Air California appliance.

Thing is those liveries and branding styles had a sense of place, uniqueness and subsequent pride. Not a lot of that anymore, and United, well, its hideous while being boring and uninspired. I'll take yellow, orange and black over it anyday of the week.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Derg

Cap, Roci
Staff member
I harbor a strong suspicion that the good old days weren’t all that good. To wit:

Some really ugly societal tendencies
Lard as a hair product
Nasty food
No air conditioning
Bad dental hygiene
Bad hygiene in general
Poor grasp of the germ theory of disease and/or food preparation
Limited media

Etc, etc....
In “The Good Old Days”, the quick jaunt from Florida to Texas was something you had to save for a long time for, not just hop on Orbitz and click the lowest price.

Derg

Cap, Roci
Staff member
Exactly. I can't help but give a strong side-eye to people who "long for the good ol' days." 90+ percent of the time the person saying it is from the same specific subgroup of people (I'm sure you can guess).

The "good ol' days" weren't good for everybody. And it only gets worse the further back you go.
True story: My folks didn’t let me watch “Happy Days” because it was a cartoonish perspective on coming of age in the 1950’s as, in the south, it was anything but.

Richman

True story: My folks didn’t let me watch “Happy Days” because it was a cartoonish perspective on coming of age in the 1950’s as, in the south, it was anything but.
Agree, but not just the south. I’ve seen the same ugly stuff everywhere.

My folks were from rural NY, and I’ve seen stuff up there that stopped me in my tracks and made Florida look like a bastion of well reasoned humanity.

Bob Ridpath

Pit Bull love
Ugh ... Derg ... my host ...

Your reality, even today, is different from mine. My income, although happily adequate, is 30% of yours, and I hated “Happy Days” for different reasons, despite growing up in the 1950s. You done OK. So have I. It’s not the past which mattered, but our character and the opportunities we pursued to bring us to this point in our history (me north, white; you south, black). I believe, personally, we both have been successful men in different ways because of our character, the choices we made, and the hard work we invested to do so; not our race (which some people believe provide opportunity) or the challenges of the past (however true). I don’t believe for a moment that you fly left seat and enjoy a good life for any reason other than your ability and choices in life. That you welcomed me, a non-flyer, into your “living room” has been a privilege and honor. Unlikely to happen with life’s circumstances, I’d love to buy you dinner and a drink.

On my rare traffic stop (and there could be MANY more) as an old white guy, I keep both hands on the steering wheel until the patrol is comfortable and feels secure. I don’t move without explaining what I’m doing (“wallet with license in my glove box”). Doesn’t matter if the trooper/officer is black, white, Asian, male or female. All of us want to go home at the end of the day, and we all bleed red.

God knows there is a reason I hate traveling south of Interstate 84, and my experience in the “Deep South” has done nothing to change my opinion o’er the years of my life.

knot4u

Repeat Offender
My parents wouldn't let us watch "Dukes Of Hazzard" because they didn't like the "anti-police" theme. It was odd because somehow "The A-Team" was okay.

Derg

Cap, Roci
Staff member
Agree, but not just the south. I’ve seen the same ugly stuff everywhere.

My folks were from rural NY, and I’ve seen stuff up there that stopped me in my tracks and made Florida look like a bastion of well reasoned humanity.
Well, not necessarily of the South because the show took place in the Midwest, but dad grew up in the Jim Crowe era and mom grew up, for the most part, in Louisiana and have a dim view of the 1950’s and 60’s. Sort of like a sitcom being about the wacky and whimsical good times of 2003 in the major airline business.

Potsy got furloughed! Now he can spend more time in that car he loves, by living in it! Wok WOKKKKKKK! *laugh track* :)

jtrain609

I'm a carnal, organic anagram.
Well, not necessarily of the South because the show took place in the Midwest, but dad grew up in the Jim Crowe era and mom grew up, for the most part, in Louisiana and have a dim view of the 1950’s and 60’s. Sort of like a sitcom being about the wacky and whimsical good times of 2003 in the major airline business.

Potsy got furloughed! Now he can spend more time in that car he loves, by living in it! Wok WOKKKKKKK! *laugh track* :)
I think it's hard for some folks to realize that THEIR experience isn't the only experience during a given period of time, and it's even harder to understand that they might have had an awesome time at the expense of others, even if they didn't intend it that way.

knot4u

Repeat Offender
I think it's hard for some folks to realize that THEIR experience isn't the only experience during a given period of time, and it's even harder to understand that they might have had an awesome time at the expense of others, even if they didn't intend it that way.
And what exactly does that make them guilty of?

Bob Ridpath

Pit Bull love
I’m willing to bet there aren’t a lot of people on here who’ve used the integrated stairs, front or rear, on a 727, 737 or DC9 series. Though it means I’ll be dead sooner than later, I’m glad to say I’ve done all three, and used hand-pushed boarding steps, too, for embarking or deboarding.

Had hot meals in coach, wore a tie to fly ... from Connies and DC-7s to Twin Otters. It was both affordable and different, whatever Internet insight might suggest to you. Electronic data not withstanding, you still have at least one person alive who might give firsthand, albeit anecdotal, experience. There were hundreds of other stations served (I could name, without research, 18 or so in New England alone).

Argue the need or economics, it was reality in my lifetime.

The world is a very different place today - maybe better, maybe worse. You can’t change the reality of what used to be, though, for those who knew it firsthand.

fholbert

Mod's - Please don't edit my posts!
I remember flying out of KBUR as an unaccompanied minor in a PSA DC-9 with the smile painted on the front and landing in KSFO then getting on a Navajo that eventually got me to Redding CA. My grandmother patiently waiting for my brother and I at the fence there with her red Karman Ghia (that she bought new) parked nearby was always a welcome sight. Then we would continue on up to Brookings OR with her driving that car like Paddy Hopkirk through the redwoods. It was a wonderful time to be alive
I don’t remember PSA having DC-9’s and I flew them a lot.

I do remember the FA uniforms, boots and pink hot pants.

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
I’m willing to bet there aren’t a lot of people on here who’ve used the integrated stairs, front or rear, on a 727, 737 or DC9 series.
Our 737-200/500s have the forward stairs that we have to operate all the time. Mainly because we go into all kinds of small airports in the middle of nowhere that have no ground support.

image.jpeg

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
I don’t remember PSA having DC-9’s and I flew them a lot.

I do remember the FA uniforms, boots and pink hot pants.
Apparently they had a few DC-9s, and many more MD-80 series planes. I remember them mostly for 727s, and BAe-146s.

I wonder what routes they flew their L-1011s on.

fholbert

Mod's - Please don't edit my posts!
Apparently they had a few DC-9s, and many more MD-80 series planes. I remember them mostly for 727s, and BAe-146s.

I wonder what routes they flew their L-1011s on.
I remember 727 and 737 in the later years, I must be wrong about the DC9. The L1011’s flew the Hawaii routes.

At Chino we have a DC3 in PSA paint.

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
I’m pretty sure when the vast majority of people say they miss the good old days or whatever they are talking about the things that specifically apply to them, not to Jim Crow laws etc. everyone has their own version of the good old days and it won’t be the same from person to person.