THEN AND NOW: Photos that show how glamorous flying used to be

nibake

Powder hound
No worries. Remember “media” encompasses a whole lot more than just the news.

Soooo, enjoy your trip down to the county library to check out the “Be-Bu” section of that Funk and Wagnalls encyclopedia that’s 4 years old. While you’re at it, be sure to drop off your “I don’t want this one” card to Columbia House Record club when they sent you a stinker like 10 novelty Xmas Songs sung by the Chipmunks.

You don’t get one without the other.
Oh, I was thinking very much about all those things. Yes, it is fantastic having almost unlimited information available, it is also almost priceless to be able to video chat with family on different continents.

But the price we pay for having all of this media is so great. Nothing is "new," but a lot of bad things are easier. It's easier to for people to spew partisan hackery on their social media accounts from the living room and sow hostility while breaking up friendships, it's easier for people to find affairs, it's easier for people to get addicted to video games and social media, to withdraw from more real face-to-face contact. We now have trolling, lol. We have people at bars, restaurants, and even the dinner table all looking at screens instead of each other.

I could go on, but yes, I would enjoy that trip to the library. I would maybe stop on the shore of the river and throw a few pebbles into the river and watch the sunset, because having this ubiquitous media replace that is a detriment, IMHO.

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
I’d be inclined to agree with you, particularly at my height, if not for the fact that the market has decided this is what it wants, and that legroom is a frill.
It’s not so much the market has decided this is what it wants as people can’t afford to spend the hundreds of dollars extra per ticket for a few more inches and have no choice (aside from not flying at all) ((and I’m not talking about the ULCCs))

Last edited:

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
737-200/500, single class 122 seats is about a 32". Running them at 100 seats, all kinds of room.
So far the only flights I’ve had plenty of legroom in coach have been a Envoy E145 (exit row), a Turkish 737 domestic flight and JetBlue E190. Unfortunately it seems most of the places I fly I’m either on an RJ or MD88

Kingairer

'Tiger Team' Member
It’s not so much the market has decided this is what it wants as people can’t afford to spend the hundreds of dollars extra per ticket for a few more inches and have no choice (aside from not flying at all) ((and I’m not talking about the ULCCs))
Nobody wants it, but no one is willing to pay anything more. So this is what we get. Economy comfort, main cabin extra, economy plus etc are your refuge for more leg room if you determine its worth it to you.

tizzizzailslf04

And that's a fraction of the problems "not being white" caused you back then.
Exactly. I can't help but give a strong side-eye to people who "long for the good ol' days." 90+ percent of the time the person saying it is from the same specific subgroup of people (I'm sure you can guess).

The "good ol' days" weren't good for everybody. And it only gets worse the further back you go.

adk

Steals Hotel Toilet Paper
I never flew coast-to-coast, but I made it from Boston to Fort Wayne and back for 79 bucks, on United Mainline, a number of times. Whatever the “equivalent” price today, a ticket (and services) were not somehow beyond the reach of “ordinary” people.

I disagree that it’s “better,” although certainly more “efficient.” Likely just the rant of an old guy, though, who wants people to stay off his lawn;)

$79 in 1965 is $632 today. The vast majority of consumers would balk at that price.

nibake

Powder hound
Nobody wants it, but no one is willing to pay anything more. So this is what we get. Economy comfort, main cabin extra, economy plus etc are your refuge for more leg room if you determine its worth it to you.
I for one will admit, that while I could afford to pay the upgrades for exit rows or comfort plus (although I would really feel it if I did first class), it is psychologically very difficult for me to do so. I'm habitually stingy. No, I'm not always stingy, it just doesn't feel right so spend money on something that may or may not have a big impact on my comfort over the course of a few hours. I'm also only 5'10", FWIW.

ChasenSFO

hen teaser

Things aren’t so bad
This is why when the airlines say "ATC delay", I'm usually thinking, "Well, there are 2 sets of parallel runways that intersect, and the airlines have knowingly scheduled 20 6AM departures and 5 6AM arrivals, so how many planes can take off/land in 60 seconds again?".

The part with the customer service counter takes me back to my CS days. That one woman says "My brothers funeral is at 2PM". Did the funeral get planned at 6AM today? Anytime someone missed a wedding/funeral/job interview with a delay of only a few hours, I really had a tough time feeling bad for them. Dying relative? Sure, that's awful, what could you do? But if you knowingly take a flight that gets in mere hours before something important, without a "plan B", what do you expect? If you HAD to take that specific flight, then you also need to accept the risk that comes with not being able to take off work and leaving the day of, as much as that sucks. I just never understood how United was making these people miss their event. No, you living in a bubble where nothing ever goes wrong and booking the cheapest ticket to a city with 1 flight per day hours before the event is why you missed it.

I once had a flight to SNA delayed 45 minutes and some guy exploded on me about an interview. He said the earlier flight was "hella expensive". If I recall, the flight arrived in SNA around 3PM and his interview was at 4PM in Irvine AND he checked a bag for some reason. I remember telling him, "To be fair, I'm pretty sure you'd miss your interview if the flight was early". I never succeeded in getting him to understand why the bag wouldn't beat him to the baggage claim at such a "small airport" or why there might be traffic in LA even though "rush hour starts at 5". I'm not sure if that was dumber than the guy who was going to "not make it" to dinner with his wife at a place in MRY(2 hour drive airport-to-airport from SFO and I recall they came in from the East Coast with a decent layover) that closed at 5PM because the scheduled 430PM arrival was delayed 15 minutes. But hey, what can ya do? :)

Last edited:

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
That one woman says "My brothers funeral is at 2PM". Did the funeral get planned at 6AM today? Anytime someone missed a wedding/funeral/job interview with a delay of only a few hours, I really had a tough time feeling bad for them.
Chances are they only had a few days notice for a funeral and maybe that was the only flight left with available seats