THEN AND NOW: Photos that show how glamorous flying used to be

Doug Masters

A roundtrip JFK-LAX ticket was about $550 in 1970. That's about $3400, similar in price to a DeltaOne or jetBlue Mint JFK-LAX today. I would argue that the current flatbed seats are a better product than 1970s interiors. You also have the option of paying about $600 roundtrip for an economy ticket, about the same price as 1970.

The industry is also way more efficient than it used to be. Instead of flying a 727 BUF-ERI-TOL-SBN-ORD, the hub-and-spoke system allows small towns one stop connections to hundreds of destinations. I'm a sucker for old airliners and jet age nostalgia, but as a consumer the current industry is better in almost every way.

Last edited:

GypsyPilot

Kristie rode a Singapore 380 from Japan to LA once and I was all excited to hear about the experience.

In coach, it was like a big crowded SWA 737. But man, great PR though! :)
Maybe not in coach, but business class? There’s a BIG difference in service on foreign carriers compared to the US. I’ve done several segments on Cathay and Singapore the past few weeks, and they’re pretty awesome.

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
Yeah bro you need to come fly JetBlue sometime. Average pitch is 32-33 on the old cabins, 32 on the new one, and 35 in the even more space seats.
Unfortunately I’ve only had one chance to fly them so far to the Bahamas but it was easily my most enjoyable flight

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
I don't really necessarily enjoy flying as a pax on an airline, it's more just a need to get from A to B, but one of the most enjoyable when I look back, was Midwest Express.

CFI A&P

Exploring the world one toilet at a time.
Now they just get flown into buildings or mountains or the ocean.
Okay okay, even if we include those recent events - it is far safer. Every once and a while a mountain or ocean catches an airliner, as opposed to the regular tragedies and hijackings of the past.

Sent from my Startac using Tapatalk.

NickH

Dank Meme
Maybe not in coach, but business class? There’s a BIG difference in service on foreign carriers compared to the US. I’ve done several segments on Cathay and Singapore the past few weeks, and they’re pretty awesome.
I did a JFK-HKG return in Cathay's First a couple of years ago. Absolutely a world class experience. $36k ticket, but for a nerd like me it was the highlight of my vacation.

RDoug

Sitting here in Tampa getting ready to fly back to ELP after being out of the country since November 12. Asked Southwest for a meal upgrade to the three-course option — pretzels, cookie, and peanuts. Alas, they’ve cut out peanuts because of allergies.

Flying just so sucks today.

Derg

Cap, Roci
Staff member
Business class is best class, but the average Joe here is the US that sees an Emirates suite and thinks if we relax cabotage, he’ll be sharing one with his family from Detroit to Tampa for $200 is just silly.

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
Business class is best class, but the average Joe here is the US that sees an Emirates suite and thinks if we relax cabotage, he’ll be sharing one with his family from Detroit to Tampa for $200 is just silly.
No one thinks that.

GypsyPilot

Sitting here in Tampa getting ready to fly back to ELP after being out of the country since November 12. Asked Southwest for a meal upgrade to the three-course option — pretzels, cookie, and peanuts. Alas, they’ve cut out peanuts because of allergies.

Why not just buy something at the airport before you go? It would be better, healthier, and cheaper even if a “meal upgrade” (I’ve never heard of this) existed.

ChasenSFO

hen teaser
Call me crazy, but buying a $49 ticket from SFO to LAX 1 hour before departure on my phone, getting to the airport an hour before departure and using TSA pre-check to skip the line while using an electronic boarding pass on my phone skipping all interactions with airline staff, and then watching an on demand movie or going on the internet the whole flight seems pretty awesome to me.

Most of us could not have afforded first class in the pre-deregulation days, or to fly at all, really.

Just sayin'.

Last edited:

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member

Sucks because they were the last(?) holdout with peanuts, both their dry roasted and their honey roasted being real good. Don't know why secondhand peanut allergies are all of a sudden a thing, for as long as peanuts have been around on airliners.

I wonder if SWA has a warehouse storage of their remaining peanuts stock somewhere....Dallas maybe?

Bob Ridpath

Pit Bull love
A roundtrip JFK-LAX ticket was about $550 in 1970. That's about $3400, similar in price to a DeltaOne or jetBlue Mint JFK-LAX today. I would argue that the current flatbed seats are a better product than 1970s interiors. You also have the option of paying about $600 roundtrip for an economy ticket, about the same price as 1970.

The industry is also way more efficient than it used to be. Instead of flying a 727 BUF-ERI-TOL-SBN-ORD, the hub-and-spoke system allows small towns one stop connections to hundreds of destinations. I'm a sucker for old airliners and jet age nostalgia, but as a consumer the current industry is better in almost every way.
You know, I don’t get this. Student fare Bos-Pwm on a Northeast DC-9 or 727 was fifteen bucks. I flew all over the northeastern United States for $29.95 on Mohawk Airlines between 6PM Friday and 6PM Sunday. Executive Airlines was as easily affordable. I paid my own way on United to visit grandparents Bos-Fwa, via Cle every February break from high school. I did that with a part-time job and by saving half of my daily lunch money and a buck weekly allowance.

I don’t know where the hell you all find this stuff, but I’m telling you from lots of firsthand personal experience that a fifteen year old kid could afford to fly. I’ll show you the pictures.

ChasenSFO

hen teaser
I don’t know where the hell you all find this stuff, but I’m telling you from lots of firsthand personal experience that a fifteen year old kid could afford to fly. I’ll show you the pictures.
There is a really good article from someone who did the Mohawk deal back in the day in Airways magazine. Those deals existed all over the country, but the local service carriers like Mohawk, Air California, PSA, Allegheny, ect. were not the flagships with airborne lounges and campaign that people talk about in the "Golden Age". The trunk carriers were very expensive for the most part, especially on transcons and routes one would find a 747 on like the Midwest to Florida even ran hundreds and hundreds of dollars.

Richman

There is a really good article from someone who did the Mohawk deal back in the day in Airways magazine. Those deals existed all over the country, but the local service carriers like Mohawk, Air California, PSA, Allegheny, ect. were not the flagships with airborne lounges and campaign that people talk about in the "Golden Age". The trunk carriers were very expensive for the most part, especially on transcons and routes one would find a 747 on like the Midwest to Florida even ran hundreds and hundreds of dollars.
I harbor a strong suspicion that the good old days weren’t all that good. To wit:

Some really ugly societal tendencies
Lard as a hair product
Nasty food
No air conditioning
Bad dental hygiene
Bad hygiene in general
Poor grasp of the germ theory of disease and/or food preparation
Limited media

Etc, etc....