THEN AND NOW: Photos that show how glamorous flying used to be

Derg

Cap, Roci
Staff member
Not really different than the pictures of the Emirates suites that either nobody can afford or are rarely actually on the planes.
Kristie rode a Singapore 380 from Japan to LA once and I was all excited to hear about the experience.

In coach, it was like a big crowded SWA 737. But man, great PR though! :)

JeppUpdater

Did turbulence not exist in the 60’s?
It’s always funny to me to ride on an international carrier that flips the seat belt sign off almost immediately after takeoff and rarely flips it on unless we run in to some moderate chop somewhere, versus the states where it’s frequently on all the way to cruise, turned off after a while of smoothness, and immediately turned on if the slightest bumps are felt.

The difference between an absurdly litigious society and not.

Avalon781ML

It’s always funny to me to ride on an international carrier that flips the seat belt sign off almost immediately after takeoff and rarely flips it on unless we run in to some moderate chop somewhere, versus the states where it’s frequently on all the way to cruise, turned off after a while of smoothness, and immediately turned on if the slightest bumps are felt.

The difference between an absurdly litigious society and not.
You mean societies where inhabitants take responsibility for their actions... that’s so Orwellian in today’s reality.

jtrain609

I'm a carnal, organic anagram.
What I find hilarious about this is that you posted a picture of the airline with the most legroom in coach, free high speed wifi, and people behaving themselves, and said "OH NO! THE FUTURE IS TERRIBLE!"

I'll take the 32 inch seat pitch, internet that works and getting there safely over having airliners fall out of the sky on a regular basis.

JordanD

Honorary Member
What I find hilarious about this is that you posted a picture of the airline with the most legroom in coach, free high speed wifi, and people behaving themselves, and said "OH NO! THE FUTURE IS TERRIBLE!"

I'll take the 32 inch seat pitch, internet that works and getting there safely over having airliners fall out of the sky on a regular basis.
I kind of chuckled when the picture of the lady being served on a deHavilland Comet showed up. "Falling out of the sky after an in flight breakup because the windows were square. Luxurious."

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
Kristie rode a Singapore 380 from Japan to LA once and I was all excited to hear about the experience.

In coach, it was like a big crowded SWA 737. But man, great PR though! :)
A380 should be the new Air Force 1. Because Airbus is no longer the evil subsidized company killing union work that they once were considered here on JC. :)