1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The right time is never... right?

Discussion in 'Family Life' started by JDean3204, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Screaming_Emu

Screaming_Emu You people

Unrelated: Bourbon and graham crackers is a pretty epic midnight snack.

2. Roger Roger

Roger Roger Navajo Whisperer

Better with or without nutella on the crackers?

JDean3204 and Screaming_Emu like this.
  3. Finny

Finny Well-Known Member

You caught me on an evening when I have bourbon and graham crackers in the house...

Myth confirmed... best snack ever.

4. Lawman

Lawman Well-Known Member

No that's how we got the last one. And she will kill me if she has to move again while pregnant.

Apparently post deployment cruises and Margaritas make women fertile.... who knew?

A Life Aloft likes this.
  5. Derg

Derg Naval Intelligence, MCRN Staff Member

Graham crackers don't even work!

6. pdxcfi

pdxcfi Flyin' Shoe

There isn't a best time. It can be rough, however, kids are pretty great! Changes your perspective on life. You'll have to make the effort to be involved in their lives no matter what career you are in. Its not any different than working 60 hours a week in an office. The key is to make the best of the time you have. The best part is that you'll have blocks of days at home, more opportunity for family outings, ect. Going back to work is hard and its the only place where you'll get good sleep, too. Good luck. If you have more questions, PM me. I'll help ya out.

JDean3204 and A Life Aloft like this.
  7. Flying Saluki

Flying Saluki Well-Known Member

As a Portland-based father myself, I understand the concerns you're having. I can only offer two snippets of advice, and a observation. 1) Have $ in a savings account before you start. 2) You need a support system; whether it be friends, family, whoever. You're going to need someone who can help when that that inevitable time comes that neither your wife nor yourself can be there to do...whatever.

Finally, an observation. I think you're shouldering too much of the load; i.e. taking too much responsibility for your wife's feeling and desires, etc. This is a shared responsibility and decision. She has as much responsibility towards the successful raising of children as you. You and she need to be in complete agreement on the fundamentals of how this is going to work. If you're not, then it's not the right time to have kids.