The pilot shortage and dirtbag 135 outfits

KLB

Even the large operators are hurting right now. I can tell because I've been getting their recruitment fliers in the mail lately.

gne in prog

Even the large operators are hurting right now. I can tell because I've been getting their recruitment fliers in the mail lately.
Anyone 135 right now is hurting. Lesser 91s are hurting. Better 91s are still ok. I was speaking to a guy who is a do at a local 135, he said the only resumes he sees right now are retired airline or under 1000 hours. No one in between.

KLB

Anyone 135 right now is hurting. Lesser 91s are hurting. Better 91s are still ok. I was speaking to a guy who is a do at a local 135, he said the only resumes he sees right now are retired airline or under 1000 hours. No one in between.
There's a rumor that one 135 operator is trying to work a flow up-flow down relationship with a major 121 carrier. The agreement would be that pilots from this operator would be given an opportunity to flow up while retired pilots from the carrier would be given the opportunity to work at this operator.

ppragman

FLIPY FLAPS!
We're doing ok, but we have a good safety culture, pay well, and are treated with dignity.

That said, we are like 80% staffed by retired airline/military guys.

nibake

Powder hound
We're doing ok, too. But that is because of the sheer fortune of have all of the fixed wing pilots living in the appropriate base. The problem with that is going to be when up to 50% of the pilots suddenly bolt for better career places. I can only imagine replacing pilots is going to prove difficult.

KLB

I work for a pretty good management company and they've openings in large cabin aircraft in places all over the country (except for where I live of course) for months. It's crazy to see actually. On the other hand, I've that some people have applied and haven't gotten a call. They are very selective.

ppragman

FLIPY FLAPS!
I work for a pretty good management company and they've openings in large cabin aircraft in places all over the country (except for where I live of course) for months. It's crazy to see actually. On the other hand, I've that some people have applied and haven't gotten a call. They are very selective.
This is the key to weathering the storm. Hire the right people.

gne in prog

We're doing ok, but we have a good safety culture, pay well, and are treated with dignity.

That said, we are like 80% staffed by retired airline/military guys.
I was speaking from a non-Alaska perspective. I don’t know anything about up there.

b3181981

I don’t think what I did was morally wrong. It wasn’t a PFT like Gulfstream, and anyone was able and allowed to do the program I did. There were other equivalents too, like Mesa MAPD and Flight Safety’s Direct Track with Eagle and ASA. Different routes to the same end goal. And all of those could get one at a regional with 250 hrs. ;)

Look, I see where you’re coming from on the training contract and type rating stuff. I agree it should be two ways, as in both parties should come up with it/get the terms agreed, and signed.

I’ll give you an example of something. Guy at Delta Private Jets interviews at VX and is hired. He tells me his boss at DPJ called him. [does DPJ report PRIA?]. They got some paperwork from VX (PRIA request?) and asked if are you really considering leaving us? He had been at DPJ less than a year (or so). He said yes. They held out on answering the stuff VX asked as long as they could and he missed out on 2 class dates as a result. Now he’s at VX and wants to upgrade. 3rd quarter 2012 growth is deferred and because of that, he then applies to Spirit and is hired. Not even 10 months at VX. At Spirit he upgraded quickly and was happy. Did he get what he wanted? Yeah. Family happy? Yeah. But at what cost? Leaving 2 employers in a short time frame like that just doesn’t sound right.

That story having been shared, I’m sure there are many more where a hard working pilot upends his roots, family, kids, pets, house, cars, and moves for a Corp pilot job only to have that job disappear in less than 12 months. That sucks and isn’t a good situation either.
Doesn't sound like his choices effected his life negatively and that the employers didn't care or weren't worried about him leaving, because they hired him. All's I learned from this post is that it probably works best in your favor if you jump ship when it suits you.

Cherokee_Cruiser

Doesn't sound like his choices effected his life negatively and that the employers didn't care or weren't worried about him leaving, because they hired him. All's I learned from this post is that it probably works best in your favor if you jump ship when it suits you.
Maybe. Here you wouldn’t be hired back if you left in less than 12 mos and I highly doubt DPJ would hire him back. Not that it matters now because he’s obviously at his final career place and not looking to start over. Still, you leave a company like that less than 12 months on probation, it’s probably safe to assume you’re burning a bridge there.

Autothrust Blue

"I’d make a suggestion but you won’t listen”
When it's time to move on, it's time to move on; outfits who treat their pilots as largely interchangeable bits, or worse, as cost centers, should probably understand that better.

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
Excellent time to share what management companies are looking for. The ones not getting called back - do they otherwise meet the quals on paper?

KLB

Excellent time to share what management companies are looking for. The ones not getting called back - do they otherwise meet the quals on paper?
Having a type in hand is becoming a big deal due to the lack of training slots on some airframes at the big box schools. This also a byproduct of the shortage. Training centers are hurting for instructors.

A referral goes a long way at my company. It is that way at a lot of the good gigs. Places are legally obligated to advertise openings, but many truly have a candidate in mind due to referrals.

The XOJET's, FlexJet's, and NetJet's of the world might be short on staffing, but still hold pretty stringent hiring standards.

The bottom feeders are taking anyone with a pulse. But be wary of old and poorly maintained equipment along with a poor quality of life.

Last edited:

z987k

Having a type in hand is becoming a big deal due the lack of training slots on some airframes at the big box schools. This also a byproduct of the shortage. Training centers are hurting for instructors.

A referral goes a long way at my company. It is that way at a lot of the good gigs. Places are legally obligated to advertise openings, but many truly have a candidate in mind due to referrals.

The XOJET's, FlexJet's, and NetJet's of the world might be short on staffing, but still hold pretty stringent hiring standards.

The bottom feeders are taking anyone with a pulse. But be wary of old and poorly maintained equipment along with a poor quality of life.
135 initial and a full type rating are more or less the same thing with the same time footprint. I can't see how having a type outside 91 helps this.

Boris Badenov

Someone should definitely do *something*, Captain!
135 initial and a full type rating are more or less the same thing with the same time footprint. I can't see how having a type outside 91 helps this.
At my last 135 job it seemed like >50% of the trips were Wingman, which, IMS, requires 250 PIC in type for the C/A (something like that). This was hugely limiting. It was also annoying for those of us who were Wingman qualified, because we almost never got an unscheduled day off, whereas non-Wingman guys sat at home for weeks.

KLB

You can knock a recurrent out in a few days compared to being in the school house for weeks getting an initial. There are usually more recurrents training events being run compared to initials also.

My next training event is due in October and I'm already looking to find a class for it.

z987k

You can knock a recurrent out in a few days compared to being in the school house for weeks getting an initial. There are usually more recurrents training events being run compared to initials also.

My next training event is due in October and I'm already looking to find a class for it.
I mean initial vs a type. It's the same training.

U_of_I_Tweak

I schedule next year's recurrent while I'm at the schoolhouse and even then sometimes there are limited slots available.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: KLB