The Jerry clown show.

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
But yet the car failed to react, and with fatal consequences. The program pretty much terminated after this. Would you call it stupid games if it was a diabetic having an episode vs somebody high? Plenty of people end up where they shouldn’t be, doing stuff they shouldn’t and it’s not always drug related. I know that the determination was that a human driver would have hit the lady as well- but that’s not really acceptable for a system that’s supposed to be safer is it?

The tech isn’t ready, and it won’t be for a long long time. Autonomous systems still don’t have the capability to see part of something and extrapolate what the item is. If a Tesla sees a foot, it doesn’t know there is a person attached to it unless it has been specifically coded to correlate foot to person. If a person has fallen down in a cross walk, there’s a good chance it will stop because of an obstruction, but a similar chance that it won’t recognize the obstruction as a person down in the toad.

Biggest flaw with the cars now is that they only know how to handle what has been programmed. They lack the capability to learn and adapt. It doesn’t matter if she was High, or in a place she wasn’t supposed to be. Vehicle failed to react = not ready for use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It didn’t help that Uber had removed most of the LIDAR sensors from that car to use on other ones. But that person entered the street where even if the car had applied the brakes immediately nothing would have changed. Had it not been an autonomous vehicle it would have been a blurb about a pedestrian stepping in front of a moving car and getting killed.

But it is true that pedestrian recognition is something all the car manufacturers are struggling with in their autonomous vehicle software.

Crop Duster

E pluribus unum
But yet the car failed to react, and with fatal consequences. The program pretty much terminated after this. Would you call it stupid games if it was a diabetic having an episode vs somebody high? Plenty of people end up where they shouldn’t be, doing stuff they shouldn’t and it’s not always drug related. I know that the determination was that a human driver would have hit the lady as well- but that’s not really acceptable for a system that’s supposed to be safer is it?

The tech isn’t ready, and it won’t be for a long long time. Autonomous systems still don’t have the capability to see part of something and extrapolate what the item is. If a Tesla sees a foot, it doesn’t know there is a person attached to it unless it has been specifically coded to correlate foot to person. If a person has fallen down in a cross walk, there’s a good chance it will stop because of an obstruction, but a similar chance that it won’t recognize the obstruction as a person down in the toad.

Biggest flaw with the cars now is that they only know how to handle what has been programmed. They lack the capability to learn and adapt. It doesn’t matter if she was High, or in a place she wasn’t supposed to be. Vehicle failed to react = not ready for use.

It didn’t help that Uber had removed most of the LIDAR sensors from that car to use on other ones. But that person entered the street where even if the car had applied the brakes immediately nothing would have changed. Had it not been an autonomous vehicle it would have been a blurb about a pedestrian stepping in front of a moving car and getting killed.

But it is true that pedestrian recognition is something all the car manufacturers are struggling with in their autonomous vehicle software.
Meh, even a pretty basic driving algorithm is probably much smarter than the current average human driver.
I want the Funk.
Got's to git da Funk.
Yeah.

And... just by da bye... how the heck did the Jerry thread end up here?!?

TUCKnTRUCK

That guy

The car only had to move about 2.5 feet to the left and the story is about an Uber wrecking a bike.

More lidar sensors wouldn’t have helped. The car saw her, it just didn’t do anything until 1.3 seconds before the impact because it did not recognize that the bike/person were not supposed to be there.

PositionAndHold

We’re still wrecking trains. The better part of 200 years. Trains. Not from people getting in front of them but from going too fast or texting and missing signals. Maybe not wreck a train world wide for like ten years with modern safety systems applied and I’ll start to care about driverless autopilot cars and IFR tickets for all.

They. Are. On. Rails.

edit to add: List of rail accidents (2010–2019) - Wikipedia

Last edited:

MidlifeFlyer

Following instruments at night vs flying at night without a single nav source is where I feel like he was going.
I thought that too. I did a lot of visual night flying before I was instrument rated and still do it locally from time to time.

Of course, day or night, most longer trips are done IFR regardless of conditions.

Autothrust Blue

"Blakeley's face was grave."
Am I the only one that thinks, the engine is going to quit when it wants to, regardless of the light and or rocks below?
No, you aren't. Though to be faaaaaair if I was in a single-engine airplane I'd rather have it be day VMC when it quits, so I can at least see where I'm going to hit the surface.

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
That's interesting. I find night IFR far easier than night VFR. Like wildly so.
I think I know what you're getting at, but why?

@Autothrust Blue , I have fancy LED landing and taxi lights. Really lights up the night. Should my engine quit, I’ll turn on the lights. If I don’t like what I see, I’ll turn them off.

Problem solved.
The oldest jokes are the best ones. :)

z987k

I think I know what you're getting at, but why?
Well first, Night VFR away from a bright city and without a bright moon is IMC... VFR into IMC. Doing it with no navigational aids is pretty crazy although in a flat place it's probably ok to use just that required compass. I wouldn't try it(and never have) without gyros and a navigation source myself. So basically everything to fly IFR.
Second, in VFR flying you have to ensure your own terrain clearance. The solution to which is to fly at IFR altitudes....
I'm kind of with Europe on this. Night VFR isn't a thing. Night is IFR.
Oh and night low IMC is far easier than day low IMC because you can see the lights better.

knot4u

Repeat Offender
I can recall a night cross country with my CFI that I'd planned and our departure was westbound out of Palomar back to Burbank. Once we crossed the shoreline in our mighty 152 it seemed as if someone threw a dark blanket over the windshield and I became very anxious to turn north much earlier than my student pilot flight plan had planned. I'm still here, so obviously that talented young instructor let me scare myself without actually losing. I suspect he's here somewhere.

MidlifeFlyer

I can recall a night cross country with my CFI that I'd planned and our departure was westbound out of Palomar back to Burbank. Once we crossed the shoreline in our mighty 152 it seemed as if someone threw a dark blanket over the windshield and I became very anxious to turn north much earlier than my student pilot flight plan had planned. I'm still here, so obviously that talented young instructor let me scare myself without actually losing. I suspect he's here somewhere.
Night dual cross country here is fun.
1581766727734.png