The Jerry clown show.

z987k

The funny thing is that, in most trainers, the old, lean until engine roughness then enrich to smooth results in lean of peak.
If you ditch the mags for electronic and have gami if continental or just a stock injected lycoming, the engine will die before it gets rough. Given that you're at a low enough power setting you can run really really lean.

Crop Duster

E pluribus unum
I don’t believe I ever received or gave instruction in a training aircraft that you could safely run LOP in. Even at 9K when they began converting to Gami’s and a Shadin we were just given fuel flow settings, no explanation of the how or why though I now recognize it was LOP in cruise. John Deakin’s articles taught me everything I know about LOP operations.
In most cases, just reading the engine manuals will give you most of what you need to know about running LOP, but that assumes an ability to read and interpret intelligently.

Crop Duster

E pluribus unum
Martin does some cool videos. He interviewed Bill Harrelson a while back, the guy who flew his lancair from Guam to JAX nonstop and around both poles.
That's crazy. I ferried a Lancair from California to Australia once. Once. Just the first leg to Hawaii was enough to convince me I would never again fly blue water in a single.

bimmerphile

SuperCritical™ Member
That's crazy. I ferried a Lancair from California to Australia once. Once. Just the first leg to Hawaii was enough to convince me I would never again fly blue water in a single.
Bill is an interesting guy, met him at sun n fun in homebuilt camping. Tall dude, can't imagine being stuck next to a fuel tank for 20 something hours.

Crop Duster

E pluribus unum
This conversation needs to be delineated between NA and forced induction, since LOP operation is going to be two different animals in either case.
But in either case, it's ultimately about CH Temp. I'm a big advocate for LOP ops in the presence of a CHT monitor that provides temps for all individual cylindars. Generally, I won't attempt it without one.

bimmerphile

SuperCritical™ Member
But in either case, it's ultimately about CH Temp. I'm a big advocate for LOP ops in the presence of a CHT monitor that provides temps for all individual cylindars. Generally, I won't attempt it without one.
forced induction adds the curveball of turbine inlet temp. I never messed with LOP in an NA engine, but it was a little trickier trying to finagle fuel flows at different power settings to get LOP before you'd redline the turb inlet temp.
edit: guess I cant abbreviate turbine inlet temp. haha

ASpilot2be

Qbicle seat warmer
forced induction adds the curveball of turbine inlet temp. I never messed with LOP in an NA engine, but it was a little trickier trying to finagle fuel flows at different power settings to get LOP before you'd redline the turb inlet temp.
edit: guess I cant abbreviate turbine inlet temp. haha
Heeheehee. Makes me laugh every time.

Fixtur

Prefamulated Amulite
For your normal clapped-out training airplane without any fancy engine temp monitoring, I always lean for roughness, then rich until just smooth. If the engine feels and sounds happy, it's probably happy.*

*depends entirely on the pilot's mechanical aptitude to sense machine emotional states.

Fix

TUCKnTRUCK

That guy
For your normal clapped-out training airplane without any fancy engine temp monitoring, I always lean for roughness, then rich until just smooth. If the engine feels and sounds happy, it's probably happy.*

*depends entirely on the pilot's mechanical aptitude to sense machine emotional states.

Fix
Lean it till it stops, then screw it back in a little until it runs again...

Dphoenix

Love lasagna, hate mondays
New video, and it's hilarity. A pilot deviation on the departure (sadly no phone number given...) and confusion about the approach, as well........ ("controller kept us so high".... 300 feet above CISBI.) "How long's the runway?" You can't make this stuff up.

Last edited:

gne in prog

Hahah double dose of Jerry. Petending they‘re a crew.

Jerry not wanting to miss a call, “airspeed alive on my side. 30. I got 50. I got 70. What’s your rotate speed?”

Jerry 2, “whenever she feels like she wants to fly”

Jerry, hearing something different, “about 90, just like mine”

Crop Duster

E pluribus unum
New video, and it's hilarity. A pilot deviation on the departure (sadly no phone number given...) and confusion about the approach, as well........ ("controller kept us so high".... 300 feet above CISBI.) "How long's the runway?" You can't make this stuff up.
I'm not sure that actually was a deviation. Given his level of distraction and the volume of inane chatter constantly sputtering from his pie hole, Jerry's ALWAYS NORDO.