The Jerry clown show.

MidlifeFlyer

Who is that wearing that schweet garment o' hilarity??
Martin is a fairly popular YouTubber GA pilot who flies a Bonanza. Probably came to prominence with a series of flights into most of the Class B primaries. He's also a bit of an aviation geek and has one of the best videos out there on LOP operations. Has spoken at major events like AirVenture and SnF.

youtube channel is Martin Pauly

Autothrust Blue

"I’d make a suggestion but you won’t listen”
Martin is a fairly popular YouTubber GA pilot who flies a Bonanza. Probably came to prominence with a series of flights into most of the Class B primaries. He's also a bit of an aviation geek and has one of the best videos out there on LOP operations. Has spoken at major events like AirVenture and SnF.

Glad someone is taking over the lean of peak crusade from John Deakin.

(BTW - want to talk about fascinating people, he’s definitely one.)

bimmerphile

SuperCritical™ Member

Martin does some cool videos. He interviewed Bill Harrelson a while back, the guy who flew his lancair from Guam to JAX nonstop and around both poles.

USMCmech

No one really has to...pretty much settled science at this point. Tornado Alley did a lot of work towards it.

Knock on wood, but I run my Bonanza LOP, and just had a borescope at 700 hours. Squeaky clean.
There's still quite a few old time mechanics still stuck in the dark ages.

The main problem is that piston engine management is very poorly taught to CFIs (who dream about JetA), then a low time airplane owner gets into "well my CFI said..." problems.

Autothrust Blue

"I’d make a suggestion but you won’t listen”

The main problem is that piston engine management is very poorly taught to CFIs (who dream about JetA), then a low time airplane owner gets into "well my CFI said..." problems.
I mean, I played with and around radials in my late teens and early 20s, but yeah.

CFI A&P

Exploring the world one toilet at a time.

I’ve found that either the equipment isn’t accurate enough for LOP, such as older Alcor probes and analog gauges. Or the CFI doesn’t care about the equipment because they’re just in it for the flight time and MX is someone else’s responsibility.

milleR

I don’t believe I ever received or gave instruction in a training aircraft that you could safely run LOP in. Even at 9K when they began converting to Gami’s and a Shadin we were just given fuel flow settings, no explanation of the how or why though I now recognize it was LOP in cruise. John Deakin’s articles taught me everything I know about LOP operations.

MidlifeFlyer

I don’t believe I ever received or gave instruction in a training aircraft that you could safely run LOP in. Even at 9K when they began converting to Gami’s and a Shadin we were just given fuel flow settings, no explanation of the how or why though I now recognize it was LOP in cruise. John Deakin’s articles taught me everything I know about LOP operations.
The funny thing is that, in most trainers, the old, lean until engine roughness then enrich to smooth results in lean of peak.

Last edited:

milleR

The funny thing is that, in most trainers, the old, lean until engine toughness then enrich to smooth results in lean of peak.
Good point. Unfortunately I think it’s hard to appreciate the concept on a low hp, NA engine with a single egt probe.

Nark

Sheepdog
I was taught, and used for years: lean the mixture until peak RPM, then half a turn to enriched it. So I’ve been running ROP on my Stinson for the entire time I owned it.
Same for the 180, until I installed the 830. It has a LOP function and it works really well for econ cruise settings.