The Jerry clown show.

CFI A&P

Exploring the world one toilet at a time.
In his latest video, he’s

B- Sitting in the right seat

D- “Guiding” the pilot in a manner that could be construed to be giving “instructions”

He’s not in his usual twin cessna, may be the other pilot’s airplane?
I haven’t seen any airplanes designating a specific seat for PIC, but I have seen many airplanes requiring the PIC to be in a designated seat when solo, and most of them are tailwheels or a jet capable of being operated single pilot.

Officially it isn’t instruction until he signs a logbook as dual given/ received or training record. Until then, they’ll just argue it is advice.

gotWXdagain

Highly Visible Member
I haven’t seen any airplanes designating a specific seat for PIC, but I have seen many airplanes requiring the PIC to be in a designated seat when solo, and most of them are tailwheels or a jet capable of being operated single pilot.

Officially it isn’t instruction until he signs a logbook as dual given/ received or training record. Until then, they’ll just argue it is advice.
Of course it’s just “advice” like all the flying he’s doing with friends is “common purpose.”

MidlifeFlyer

Of course it’s just “advice” like all the flying he’s doing with friends is “common purpose.”
Jerry does enough stupid things arguably in violation of regulations. We don't have to make up more. I haven't seen anything in Jerry's videos that even remotely looks like regulatory "flight instruction" or suggests a violation of 61.113.

"He flies with other people, so he must be charging them for it" is a bit of a stretch.

gotWXdagain

Highly Visible Member
He's toying with you. Pretty tame video. Biggest question is "why not IFR." Best answer: "have you seen this guy fly IFR?"
Ah. Using the term scud run to make himself out to be Billy Badass shouldn’t raise any red flags. But yeah, his only acceptable method of IFR is literally I Follow Roads.

Autothrust Blue

"I’d make a suggestion but you won’t listen”
Jerry does enough stupid things arguably in violation of regulations. We don't have to make up more. I haven't seen anything in Jerry's videos that even remotely looks like regulatory "flight instruction" or suggests a violation of 61.113.

"He flies with other people, so he must be charging them for it" is a bit of a stretch.
Telling pilots to stick to facts is not always a useful endeavor. It’s like wrestling with a pig.

Autothrust Blue

"I’d make a suggestion but you won’t listen”
Ah. Using the term scud run to make himself out to be Billy Badass shouldn’t raise any red flags. But yeah, his only acceptable method of IFR is literally I Follow Roads.
Show me a regulation he’s violating with that.

I’ll wait.

(This, of course, is half of the problem. You’re largely free to endanger yourself under 91; it’s when you endanger the life or property or another that the FAA wakes up and takes some notice. The other half is compliance philosophy, which usually means a lot of GA enforcement starts and ends with no enforcement whatsoever.)

gotWXdagain

Highly Visible Member
Show me a regulation he’s violating with that.

I’ll wait.

(This, of course, is half of the problem. You’re largely free to endanger yourself under 91; it’s when you endanger the life or property or another that the FAA wakes up and takes some notice. The other half is compliance philosophy, which usually means a lot of GA enforcement starts and ends with no enforcement whatsoever.)
The problem isn’t that he’s violating any regulations. Done with the proper planning, including a thorough weather briefing, knowing minimum safe altitudes, bailout/backup plans should the weather deteriorate, can make this a safe operation.

But I would hazard a guess based on previous experience that Jerry only superficially plans these. He can’t even execute a normal ILS the way he planned it, when the approach should be going according to plan. With Jerry, an instrument rated pilot (not that I expect every instrument rated pilot to always be IFR, apparently I have to clarify that), there’s a higher than baseline probability that an inadvertent IMC encounter will result in a significant enough loss of SA to endanger the aircraft.

And the fact that he’s going around bragging about “scud running” during an operation that may or may not be truly that, reeks of Macho and a sense of very unearned Invulnerability.

mightynimbus

Ugh,
his latest he has his daughter and 2 of her friends on a flight.
Do as you will with your own kids, but the family and friends of the other two
have no idea he has wrote some of the accident
report before he is rolling on almost every flight.

I would not let anyone I know get in a plane with him.

Up till now I think all I have seen on board, is "the wife", other pilots,
and the one day Russ had no idea to being a statistic he was.

Crop Duster

E pluribus unum
The problem isn’t that he’s violating any regulations. Done with the proper planning, including a thorough weather briefing, knowing minimum safe altitudes, bailout/backup plans should the weather deteriorate, can make this a safe operation.

But I would hazard a guess based on previous experience that Jerry only superficially plans these. He can’t even execute a normal ILS the way he planned it, when the approach should be going according to plan. With Jerry, an instrument rated pilot (not that I expect every instrument rated pilot to always be IFR, apparently I have to clarify that), there’s a higher than baseline probability that an inadvertent IMC encounter will result in a significant enough loss of SA to endanger the aircraft.

And the fact that he’s going around bragging about “scud running” during an operation that may or may not be truly that, reeks of Macho and a sense of very unearned Invulnerability.
Theoretically, no plan survives the first hour of execution... For Jerry, that's axiomatic.

thepedroid

Ugh,
Do as you will with your own kids, but the family and friends of the other two
have no idea he has wrote some of the accident
report before he is rolling on almost every flight.

I would not let anyone I know get in a plane with him.

Up till now I think all I have seen on board, is "the wife", other pilots,
and the one day Russ had no idea to being a statistic he was.

He did about a 60 degree turn right before a bridge with the girls on board. I swear it looks like he’s within 100 ft of that bridge. I don’t have too much experience, but just watching it made me uneasy. 20 min in.

pianokeys

MEL NO MUFFS
Ugh,
Jerry is a pig. Introduced his daughters friends as "Courtney, SINGLE. Jenelle, SINGLE", and then introduced his own daughter "Terry, SINGLE." Big pimpin Jerry.

He did about a 60 degree turn right before a bridge with the girls on board. I swear it looks like he’s within 100 ft of that bridge. I don’t have too much experience, but just watching it made me uneasy. 20 min in.
I clenched my butt cheeks during that "maneuver"

MidlifeFlyer

Be aware these cameras can make things seem much closer than they are. I did a video of a mountain flight near Whistler and portions look waay closer to the rocks than they were.