The Jerry clown show.

knot4u

Repeat Offender
Well that’s what the beer beforehand is for, to lower inhibitions. Figure a helicopter ride is similar to a low pass on the middle aged Korean woman that hangs out every night at the bar right off base. It has its risks but might be worth the ride
Everyone thinks helicopter pilots are nutty, imagine actually trying to take care of one of those contraptions. It's like tending to a dust devil, the damn thing is constantly trying to tear itself to pieces regardless of what the pilot does. I spent some time around helicopters and ended up running away at the first opportunity. I've spent some time as a passenger in a helicopter and I while I did enjoy it I was not relaxed.

JordanD

Honorary Member
I don’t mind helicopters, but being a classic acrophobe, hovering is the worst.
I used to fly fixed wing for a company that primarily flew helicopters. Sitting around one day "hey, do you wanna go for a ride in the 407 while we do checkride prep with so and so?"
"Hell yeah!"
Until we got to the part where they practiced like 4 autorotations in a row. Pants needed to be cleaned.

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
I used to fly fixed wing for a company that primarily flew helicopters. Sitting around one day "hey, do you wanna go for a ride in the 407 while we do checkride prep with so and so?"
"Hell yeah!"
Until we got to the part where they practiced like 4 autorotations in a row. Pants needed to be cleaned.
Autos are fun. Especially in the Huey, which barely even knows it's auto'ing due to having so much excess energy stored in the rotor system. You could terminate to a hover, refine your touchdown point, and still touch down smoothly with the residual energy left over.

bucksmith

Did you lock the doors?
I'm gonna take the unusual step of defending Jerry on this one.

I don't have a problem with Jerry's decision or the process. The wind was within 10 degrees of a direct crosswind. Normal variation could have resulted in a quartering headwind or a quartering tailwind by the time he got to the runway, in both cases with a pretty small headwind or tailwind component. He also specifically considered the 1.2% slope uphill on runway 7 as a factor mitigating the potential tailwind component. He was pretty clearly prepared to do either, but was leaning toward straight in. Yeah, he kind of deferred the final choice to not having acceptable visibility for circling, but I thought he had adequately prepared himself for either eventuality. It's obviously not SOP for a certificated operation, but it isn't one.

Amazingly (for him) he also slowed down and had the gear down well in advance.

If there was a forward slip, I missed it. I thought I saw a decision to start his crosswind slip early rather than delay to a crab and kick, given the strength of the xwind, but perhaps I misunderstood that part.

I did cringe at his decision to cancel IFR in the air when the conditions were so marginal, but other than that and his usual blathering communication style, it was the most thoughtful I've seen him.

Edit: does the 414 have a slip limitation?
Well that’s what I get for skipping to the end and not paying that much attention. Without watching it again, you might be right about the slip.

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
Good lord, who the heck is checking in before 1500? If I'm on the radio, I'm too busy making sure the monkey is going to level off!
You should put a sound clip of you from live ATC or something on your profile. That way we can ID you on the radio. The rare occasion I go up to the Suck, I’m always wondering, is that him?? ;)
Ask and you shall receive

Audio quality is chit though