The Jerry clown show.

n57flyguy

Tell me more about how hard and frequently that you've been hammered!

Seriously though, everything that you've heard is true. Well maybe except the airworthiness issues. I've never experienced or heard of them... yet. Yet. If you're tiny, like 130-145 lbs. As well is your CFI you can fly dual in a Sport Cruiser for either PPL and Commercial. The max gross weight on those is only 1320. But we got crap tones of SC here. Easy availability, especially for solo flights. But only maybe six dedicated planes between two locations for IFR, and skads of IFR students. Facepalm.

The Diamonds are old and second hand. They're supposedly shopping for a brand new shiny fleet of IFR trainers. They want only rotax engines though, for fleet propulsion commonality. They say that we're supposed to be getting a huge order sometime this year. But they also said the same last year too.

As for multi... ugh. They use Tecnams. Those things are total crap. We have two and they've been down for like 10 months. Think that they've put like $100k into each one and their still not up and running. Students are actually going out to Montana to get to get their multi rating on their own dime. Yep! I hear rumors that they're trying to find a replacement trainer for multi. But I heard from my instructor that Seminoles are next to impossible to get due to ATP.

And finally, yes. Mechanics as is true at probably every flight school. They quit all the time here. Probably go to Skywest to make more money. Which then causes a huge maintenance backlog here. Like after Christmas 2018. Bunch of mechanics had quit prior to the holidays. They hired more. But like almost EVERY plane in the fleet was down for regular maintenance or broken. For almost two weeks.
Dude, Action Multi in CT when that time comes.

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
Really? "Jerry is a bad pilot, so who cares if he kills himself." That attitude is a little sad and disappointing to see from people.

I don't know Jerry from anyone else here on these forums, but just as a matter of having a little humanity, I'd prefer he not kill himself.
I don’t think anyone here WANTS him to crash. I think it’s just kind of expected. A “when not if” situation

FlyingAccountant

Really? "Jerry is a bad pilot, so who cares if he kills himself." That attitude is a little sad and disappointing to see from people.

I don't know Jerry from anyone else here on these forums, but just as a matter of having a little humanity, I'd prefer he not kill himself.
I don't want to see the guy get hurt, no. I'm also not going to lose any sleep over if it does happen. I'm apathetic but I'm not hoping something bad happens to him.

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
Maybe it makes me a bad person, but I have a limited capacity to care about people outside my immediate monkeysphere, and that capacity is taken up by people like the kid I flew last summer who was in a car wreck that killed her mom and sister and laid outside all night before anyone found her, or the families of the 3 folks that vanished in a King Air a couple weeks ago. There’s no room left for people who ride motorcycles without helmets, free-climb, and Jerry.

(I didn’t expect this thread to get philosophical, thanks?)
Interesting thoughts which are sort of - at least a little - congruent with mine. Ever since Chris died in November I've had some version of this in the back of my mind because it's just so mind-effingly unfair. I never expected that I'd be thinking this way, but I am.

ppragman

Direct Yeska
Interesting thoughts which are sort of - at least a little - congruent with mine. Ever since Chris died in November I've had some version of this in the back of my mind because it's just so mind-effingly unfair. I never expected that I'd be thinking this way, but I am.
This is the story of my life.

I’m 2 classes away from a Masters Degree in Intel Management, with an emphasis in Open Source intel.
It took me about 30 seconds to find it.

That should concern everyone on here with any sort of social media presence, Jetcareers user names included. Within about a minute I can unlock A, which can unlock B which in turns can build a portfolio.

I think someone has been saying this for years, you’re not anonymous on the internet.
Lol. "Intelligence Management": Perhaps the only degree that teaches neither of the concepts denoted by its title words... and sees no irony in juxtaposing those two words in immediate proximity, or in using either of those words to adjectively modify the other.

Open Source Intel... There's a degree in that?? Sounds super fancy and erudite... until you realize it's what every non-degreed, 14 year old hacker has been doing since 1978.

Last edited:

Autothrust Blue

Ultra-low-cost member
I’m 2 classes away from a Masters Degree in Intel Management, with an emphasis in Open Source intel.
It took me about 30 seconds to find it.

That should concern everyone on here with any sort of social media presence, Jetcareers user names included. Within about a minute I can unlock A, which can unlock B which in turns can build a portfolio.

I think someone has been saying this for years, you’re not anonymous on the internet.
Fortunately, I’m basically the same jackass in RL anyway...

Nark

Sheepdog
Lol. "Intelligence Management": Perhaps the only degree that teaches neither of the concepts denoted by its title words... and sees no irony in juxtaposing those two words in immediate proximity, or in using either of those words to adjectively modify the other.

Open Source Intel... There's a degree in that?? Sounds super fancy and erudite... until you realize it's what every non-degreed, 14 year old hacker has been doing since 1978.
Oh yes, the old Military Intelligence joke.

As you can see, or read, which you neglected to do, no there isn’t a degree in OSINT. Perhaps you should google what OSINT is, seeing that you think it’s hacking. Put that inner 14 year old to work.

But please continue, I’d love to hear your thoughts on grad degrees in the Intelligence field, and your expertise in such field.

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun
Oh yes, the old Military Intelligence joke.

As you can see, or read, which you neglected to do, no there isn’t a degree in OSINT. Perhaps you should google what OSINT is, seeing that you think it’s hacking. Put that inner 14 year old to work.

But please continue, I’d love to hear your thoughts on grad degrees in the Intelligence field, and your expertise in such field.
Don’t let him spool you up, I’m fairly certain he’s a neckbeard meme.

bucksmith

Did you lock the doors?

Today Jerry flies in icing conditions without ice protection.
Did he really switch runways at circling mins because he didn’t have anything in sight? Did anyone pay attention, did he land with a tailwind? Obviously had a hard time getting down, is forward slipping a twin Cessna a normal maneuver?

MidlifeFlyer

Did he really switch runways at circling mins because he didn’t have anything in sight? Did anyone pay attention, did he land with a tailwind? Obviously had a hard time getting down, is forward slipping a twin Cessna a normal maneuver?
I'm gonna take the unusual step of defending Jerry on this one.

I don't have a problem with Jerry's decision or the process. The wind was within 10 degrees of a direct crosswind. Normal variation could have resulted in a quartering headwind or a quartering tailwind by the time he got to the runway, in both cases with a pretty small headwind or tailwind component. He also specifically considered the 1.2% slope uphill on runway 7 as a factor mitigating the potential tailwind component. He was pretty clearly prepared to do either, but was leaning toward straight in. Yeah, he kind of deferred the final choice to not having acceptable visibility for circling, but I thought he had adequately prepared himself for either eventuality. It's obviously not SOP for a certificated operation, but it isn't one.

Amazingly (for him) he also slowed down and had the gear down well in advance.

If there was a forward slip, I missed it. I thought I saw a decision to start his crosswind slip early rather than delay to a crab and kick, given the strength of the xwind, but perhaps I misunderstood that part.

I did cringe at his decision to cancel IFR in the air when the conditions were so marginal, but other than that and his usual blathering communication style, it was the most thoughtful I've seen him.

Edit: does the 414 have a slip limitation?

Last edited:

milleR

I'm gonna take the unusual step of defending Jerry on this one.

I don't have a problem with Jerry's decision or the process. The wind was within 10 degrees of a direct crosswind. Normal variation could have resulted in a quartering headwind or a quartering tailwind by the time he got to the runway, in both cases with a pretty small headwind or tailwind component. He also specifically considered the 1.2% slope uphill on runway 7 as a factor mitigating the potential tailwind component. He was pretty clearly prepared to do either, but was leaning toward straight in. Yeah, he kind of deferred the final choice to not having acceptable visibility for circling, but I thought he had adequately prepared himself for either eventuality. It's obviously not SOP for a certificates operation, but it isn't one.

Amazingly (for him) he also slowed down and had the gear down well in advance.

If there was a forward slip, I missed it. I thought I saw a decision to start his crosswind slip early rather than delay to a crab and kick, given the strength of the xwind, but perhaps I misunderstood that part.

I did cringe at his decision to cancel IFR in the air when the conditions were so marginal, but other than that and his usual blathering communication style, it was the most thoughtful I've seen him.

Edit: does the 414 have a slip limitation?
Agreed. I really didn’t see anything egregious in this flight. Having set the bar with his Bay runs, Yosemite, and that calamitous approach into OAK, a non-eventful flight like this last one was refreshingly benign. His YouTube posse comments are still cringeworthy though.