The Flying Mustache Retires

There is that, I guess it is give and take. Well that nerdy planespotting site eventually lead me here, and to Vegas several times, and lead @DPApilot into an orgy, so there is that.

I know I just set myself up, but I refuse to rephrase that sentence.
I didn’t know that you were in Panama.

All kidding aside, there were a good group of people over there. Still in touch with most of them, even if it’s just occasionally. Anirite @pianokeys ?

Just curious... Have you had a “real” career outside aviation?

Seriously. I keep hearing people wanting to walk away from this career as mainline CAs making 200k+. Do you know what other jobs that pay 200k+ involve? I come from a family of doctors (all making over 200k) and a pharmacist turned MBA making just under 200k. All of them, ALL OF THEM bring their work home with them. Airline pilots don't. Once the trip is over and the plane is parked, my home time is home free time. No paperwork, charts, etc. Twice a year I study to hit the sim/ground school but that's about it. Then compare the actual work, and they work far harder every day than I do.

It's an easy job, the money is great, the flying is fun, though I will admit the career can suck (airline going out of business, starting over, furloughs, base closures, etc). I was an engineer before this, no way would I want to go back to an office job. Losing my medical is the only way I'd give up airline flying.

z987k

Jesus you complain a lot. Go do something else, the rest of us would be better off.
That's helpful. You know Detla/any job at all is hiring. Oh thanks! I didn't know that if I applied I was automatically hired! It's that easy!
I'm working on it. I don't want to be unhappy for the next 20 years.

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
Yeah, but at least you aren’t nailing your mom and being almost open about it on social media.
There is that, I guess it is give and take. Well that nerdy planespotting site eventually lead me here, and to Vegas several times, and lead @DPApilot into an orgy, so there is that.

I know I just set myself up, but I refuse to rephrase that sentence.
I have so many questions

Richman

That's helpful. You know Detla/any job at all is hiring. Oh thanks! I didn't know that if I applied I was automatically hired! It's that easy!
I'm working on it. I don't want to be unhappy for the next 20 years.

We’ve got a subset that any inquiry into making things better is met with “don’t you know how lucky you are!?!? Don’t you know how much other places suck?!?”

Even when presented evidence where that might not be the case, they continue their shrill refrain. Makes moving the bar on individual issues that are annoying that much more difficult, although I suspect that some of this is to cover for their individual priorities.

Cessnaflyer

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
There's a Fairchild PT-19 project in our hangar right now, and that's quite appealing. Probably for the same reasons I enjoyed flying the Brasilia as much as I did (mechanical act of flying, down low, slowish).
In flight school, my grandpa made a mistake and washed out he was then made a bombardier. He bought a PT-19 after the war to prove to himself he could fly. He was also a POW and wrote a little memoir that I need to scan and share so his story isn’t lost.

trafficinsight

I do enjoy the mechanical act of flying the airplane; there's something quite viscerally satisfying to me about it. I enjoy both managing and flying the Airbus. Adroit execution is fun. Working with interesting people is fun. And eating well while doing so is double-plus fun. (I had some sliders and beer last night that were alright and breakfast was double-plus-good this morning.)

On my days off, I want one engine, maybe a radio (I AM SO SICK OF LISTENING TO GUARD) and fixed gear, should I chose to fly. Our Twin Bonanza is a load of laughs but it's a cross-country cruiser and for the most part I don't see a personal airplane as useful for that, as I have no trouble just going and getting on an airliner to go somewhere instead. Or hell, I'll drive, if it's coastal California, and stop at DePaolo and Sons' in Shell Beach.

There's a Fairchild PT-19 project in our hangar right now, and that's quite appealing. Probably for the same reasons I enjoyed flying the Brasilia as much as I did (mechanical act of flying, down low, slowish).

The regionals beat a lot of the enjoyment out of this, which is quite unfortunate. My worst day at Spirit thus far (next time we're both slumming it in ORD, let's talk about it) has still been WAY more tolerable than the average day at SKW (particularly as an MSP CRJ captain, which was like working for a whole 'nother airline).

The GA community can be pretty noxious for a whole bunch of reasons, to be quite honest with you.

Class B violators should be shot.
Alexa, tell me more about PT-19!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

We’ve got a subset that any inquiry into making things better is met with “don’t you know how lucky you are!?!? Don’t you know how much other places suck?!?”

Even when presented evidence where that might not be the case, they continue their shrill refrain. Makes moving the bar on individual issues that are annoying that much more difficult, although I suspect that some of this is to cover for their individual priorities.
At beachball it’s a bunch of people complaining about lack of progress by the union, meanwhile they also say they don’t trust/support unions and prostitute themselves out to the company at any opportunity.

“Hell yeah I’ll extend if you let me put a $50 meal on the company card.”

AAPalmTree

The views out the windows are just as wonderful and perhaps even more grand in their scope........the little lanterns on the fishing boats in the inky night over the South China Sea.............the sun climbing over Hong Kong.......the lush mountains peeking out of the mist over Thailand.......amazing storms......beautiful cloud formations and lightning in the distance......the rising of the various planets.....the magnificence of all the stars filling the night sky almost staggering in their singular beauty.........it's the wonder....... it's the little safe warm cocoon of the flight deck as you speed along in the nothingness towards your destination and you realize the perspective of just how small you are and just how grand the rest of the planet is......it's the contemplation of all the lives of the millions of people below you........it's the adventures, the food, the places you will see/visit, the people you will meet, the marvelous experiences that you will have and what you will learn along the way. At least it was for me.
Great post.