The Flying Mustache Retires

n156499000

Titanius Anglesmith
If you hate this career please leave.
This, this, this, a thousand times this! Don’t be like the FO I just spent two days listening to as he griped about how he hates flying, hates being away from home and his own bed, hates being away from his girl friend, basically how he hates his whole life because flying isn’t what he expected it to be. It was more than I could take and the poor guy’s only 24. Four short legs over two days and even I’m starting to hate life just from hearing about it.

Autothrust Blue

Ultra-low-cost member
This, this, this, a thousand times this! Don’t be like the FO I just spent two days listening to as he griped about how he hates flying, hates being away from home and his own bed, hates being away from his girl friend, basically how he hates his whole life because flying isn’t what he expected it to be. It was more than I could take and the poor guy’s only 24. Four short legs over two days and even I’m starting to hate life just from hearing about it.
If you hate your job, find a new one and then leave, in that order.

(That said, you can't stop doing the current job)

n156499000

Titanius Anglesmith
The regionals beat a lot of the enjoyment out of this, which is quite unfortunate. My worst day at Spirit thus far (next time we're both slumming it in ORD, let's talk about it) has still been WAY more tolerable than the average day at SKW (particularly as an MSP CRJ captain, which was like working for a whole 'nother airline).
You couldn’t have said that BEFORE I upgraded to MSP CRJ CA? (Yes, yes, yes, I am fully aware of the differences in SKW West, SKW East, and SKW Mecca.)

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun
I’m going to try to get into GA again this year, I said that last year btw. When it comes to it GA seems more like work to me. The thought of intermixing again with people with very little regard to the NAS and view my position as “oh just an airline pilot” makes my eye twitch.
I’m flying the aircraft I dreamed to fly since I was 6 years old I’ll be damned if I’m told I don’t know what real flying is. Yea I don’t fly at treetop level in the bush but I also pride myself in having never bent metal. Id love to put some of these heavy bashers in an MD-11 front seat on a gusty day and say we’re system managers.
@Screaming_Emu and I remark probably every 6 months or so with something like “dude I can’t believe we made it, we’re doing this”. We grew up in the jetphotos forum and we knew each other as high school punks with @MikeD keeping us in line. We spent time hoping to catch a picture of a heavy landing some place and now we’re those guys flying around the world. I’m sorry if that means nothing to you but don’t tell Joe and I that we haven’t accomplished anything because we just fly 121 heavies.
You’ve got it all wrong. Nobody has anything against you because you fly heavies.

It’s because you’re ginger.

n156499000

Titanius Anglesmith
Have you seen any of the PBS/Frontline coverage of the place? It's...well, it's fascinating.
Oh yes. In fact, I have a standing offer to my crews that they should never wander alone and even when it’s -10 and blowing wind, to call me and I will go with them. Even the grocery store across the street is not to be traveled lightly.

Autothrust Blue

Ultra-low-cost member
Oh yes. In fact, I have a standing offer to my crews that they should never wander alone and even when it’s -10 and blowing wind, to call me and I will go with them. Even the grocery store across the street is not to be traveled lightly.
It is legitimately the only place I've ever been in my career to date where I've feared for my safety. Granted I haven't gone very far in Mexico, but still. ISN is a festering pit of evil.

@Roger Roger Mos Eisley is civilized by comparison.

JordanD

Honorary Member
@Screaming_Emu and I remark probably every 6 months or so with something like “dude I can’t believe we made it, we’re doing this”. We grew up in the jetphotos forum and we knew each other as high school punks with @MikeD keeping us in line. We spent time hoping to catch a picture of a heavy landing some place and now we’re those guys flying around the world. I’m sorry if that means nothing to you but don’t tell Joe and I that we haven’t accomplished anything because we just fly 121 heavies.
I'm glad the handful of us that migrated from that place over here are mostly well adjusted, professional members of society now :p