The Flying Mustache Retires

This is my problem. I don't hate my job but it's a large pile of meh. I'd retire from it tomorrow with a big f you if I could. But there's potential for a lot of money on the Boring soulless side of aviation.
I can think of 3 jobs I'd love to do but they don't pay enough and are without a future. I don't want to work until I die even if I like the flying. Truth is the most fun flying is the one you get to say where to go. And that's fing expensive.
So in summary I do my job because money and I likely cannot replicate the potential income level elsewhere nor can I enjoy this amount of time off in another field.
To date it still baffles me how anyone that truly loves flying can say they enjoy flying a large jet.
Jesus you complain a lot. Go do something else, the rest of us would be better off.

The views out the windows are just as wonderful and perhaps even more grand in their scope........the little lanterns on the fishing boats in the inky night over the South China Sea.............the sun climbing over Hong Kong.......the lush mountains peeking out of the mist over Thailand.......amazing storms......beautiful cloud formations and lightning in the distance......the rising of the various planets.....the magnificence of all the stars filling the night sky almost staggering in their singular beauty.........it's the wonder....... it's the little safe warm cocoon of the flight deck as you speed along in the nothingness towards your destination and you realize the perspective of just how small you are and just how grand the rest of the planet is......it's the contemplation of all the lives of the millions of people below you........it's the adventures, the food, the places you will see/visit, the people you will meet, the marvelous experiences that you will have and what you will learn along the way. At least it was for me.
And also this.

JordanD

Honorary Member
Just curious... Have you had a “real” career outside aviation?
I've had various jobs in aviation, ramper for a few years which burned me the hell out. That said, I'm saying that as a junior CA on reserve. Looking back I really enjoyed it when I was a senior-ish FO and life was easy. There's still enough BS and minutae that make it a job, a really sweet job, but days where it definitely feels like a job. Being able to have the money and time off to chill and do my own thing after a certain age sounds way better.

ASpilot2be

Qbicle seat warmer
The parts you've experienced aren't exciting. There is exciting work in GA, or non-121 flying.

Are you saying there's no IFR in GA? :)
You're absolutely right. I should say by GA I mean flying a 172 on days off. There is lots of cool non 121 flying I would do, but overall I like this flying the most.

Meh, I got to do a lot of really cool crap in GA with some of my jobs, cross the country a couple times, see a lot of cool stuff I wouldn't have otherwise seen. That said, I wouldn't go back to flying sketchy pistons with minimal equipment again. I feel so much safer doing 121.
I look at Jets vs GA like I do cars and motorcycles. You can have a lot of fun on a bike, but mostly my ass is going to hurt and I'm going to be uncomfortable.

Ah how the mighty have fallen. I really loved his articles over the years, and the seductive stare on the page that would draw me into that might forest on his lip helplessly. Wish him all the best.

True. But mostly because its never appealed to me. If I am not flying, I want to be on the water.
Did you ever do VFR flights for fun? Over 50% of my flight time is logged taking friends around the Bay Area aimlessly and doing landings at SJC/OAK for fun, and it never gets old really. Feels totally different than IFR stuff, a different kind of fun. The Grumman Tiger was way more fun than the 172, but I'd fly a 172 just about every day if I had the money, honestly.

I fly old school 737 Jurassic/classic part-time 121 out of TUS. Basically replaces my AF Reserve income after retiring from the reserves. Still doing everything else too, fire contract work, BP pilot, lol.
DAMN I didn't know that! Awesome man! I'd love to check out the bird if ever possible when I'm in the area, the 732 has long been my favorite airliner and haven't stepped in an active one in about 20 years.

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
You're absolutely right. I should say by GA I mean flying a 172 on days off. There is lots of cool non 121 flying I would do, but overall I like this flying the most.
No worries, I was just asking. Makes sense. And the best part is that you enjoy what you're doing. That's all that matters. :)

Hope your new year is well!

ASpilot2be

Qbicle seat warmer
Did you ever do VFR flights for fun? Over 50% of my flight time is logged taking friends around the Bay Area aimlessly and doing landings at SJC/OAK for fun, and it never gets old really. Feels totally different than IFR stuff, a different kind of fun. The Grumman Tiger was way more fun than the 172, but I'd fly a 172 just about every day if I had the money, honestly.
I never did. Never really had any desire to.

No worries, I was just asking. Makes sense. And the best part is that you enjoy what you're doing. That's all that matters. :)

Hope your new year is well!
You're absolutely right!

Thank you! I hope yours it too!

Flying is aight, but I get my jollies doing approaches and landings,121 or GA, runways or off airport. Each landing is its own story and has their own challenges (and we fly to some challenging airports). I like that no two are the same. I’ve never made a perfect one (been close a couple times). All the extra bs that comes with the “job” goes out the window when the autopilot comes off and I get to be a pilot and not a systems manager. I love flying my Pacer, it keeps me sharp on my aircraft handling skills, situational awareness, and decision making skills. I would do landings all day, every day at work if they would let me. I think when I no longer enjoy landing I will hang up my wings.

JordanD

Honorary Member
You're weird, but I like you anyway.

(I did get some jollies from "descend via the DOTTS (or whatever the new SEAVU is called) and over SEAVU cleared ILS 25L" last night -- very viscerally satisfying, yesterday.)
I used to want to be a badass Chuck Yeager and fly a "real airplane" my whole career. Hand flying and nailing a visual is pretty awesome, but I'm probably gonna forget about that 5 minutes after we park. A sweet overnight with some kick ass food? Way more memorable.

mikecweb

Third Generation Arizonan
I’m going to try to get into GA again this year, I said that last year btw. When it comes to it GA seems more like work to me. The thought of intermixing again with people with very little regard to the NAS and view my position as “oh just an airline pilot” makes my eye twitch.
I’m flying the aircraft I dreamed to fly since I was 6 years old I’ll be damned if I’m told I don’t know what real flying is. Yea I don’t fly at treetop level in the bush but I also pride myself in having never bent metal. Id love to put some of these heavy bashers in an MD-11 front seat on a gusty day and say we’re system managers.
If you hate this career please leave.
@Screaming_Emu and I remark probably every 6 months or so with something like “dude I can’t believe we made it, we’re doing this”. We grew up in the jetphotos forum and we knew each other as high school punks with @MikeD keeping us in line. We spent time hoping to catch a picture of a heavy landing some place and now we’re those guys flying around the world. I’m sorry if that means nothing to you but don’t tell Joe and I that we haven’t accomplished anything because we just fly 121 heavies.

Autothrust Blue

Ultra-low-cost member
I used to want to be a badass Chuck Yeager and fly a "real airplane" my whole career. Hand flying and nailing a visual is pretty awesome, but I'm probably gonna forget about that 5 minutes after we park. A sweet overnight with some kick ass food? Way more memorable.
I do enjoy the mechanical act of flying the airplane; there's something quite viscerally satisfying to me about it. I enjoy both managing and flying the Airbus. Adroit execution is fun. Working with interesting people is fun. And eating well while doing so is double-plus fun. (I had some sliders and beer last night that were alright and breakfast was double-plus-good this morning.)

On my days off, I want one engine, maybe a radio (I AM SO SICK OF LISTENING TO GUARD) and fixed gear, should I chose to fly. Our Twin Bonanza is a load of laughs but it's a cross-country cruiser and for the most part I don't see a personal airplane as useful for that, as I have no trouble just going and getting on an airliner to go somewhere instead. Or hell, I'll drive, if it's coastal California, and stop at DePaolo and Sons' in Shell Beach.

There's a Fairchild PT-19 project in our hangar right now, and that's quite appealing. Probably for the same reasons I enjoyed flying the Brasilia as much as I did (mechanical act of flying, down low, slowish).

The regionals beat a lot of the enjoyment out of this, which is quite unfortunate. My worst day at Spirit thus far (next time we're both slumming it in ORD, let's talk about it) has still been WAY more tolerable than the average day at SKW (particularly as an MSP CRJ captain, which was like working for a whole 'nother airline).

I’m going to try to get into GA again this year, I said that last year btw. When it comes to it GA seems more like work to me. The thought of intermixing again with people with very little regard to the NAS and view my position as “oh just an airline pilot” makes my eye twitch.
The GA community can be pretty noxious for a whole bunch of reasons, to be quite honest with you.

Class B violators should be shot.

Autothrust Blue

Ultra-low-cost member
Im in a Ask a Pilot/Air Traffic Controller Group on FB. You should chreck it out. It’s mostly GA pilots but some 121. You’ll want to smash your head into a wall after reading some of the comments on there.
As long as that dingbat Jerry Air is allowed to drive around in my sky, I really have zero issue with user fees as yet another barrier to entry.

Of course, he's probably well-off enough to pay 'em, so maybe never mind on that.