The Flying Mustache Retires

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
Pilot's and their "top of the mountain" perception, largely due to their experiences, as well as what they haven't experienced. The part time 121 I do has its interesting moments here and there, neat things to see and experience and all such as flying old school planes, but by and large its sitting at cruise watching the mileage tick down to the nest waypoint. Not exceptionally exciting, but its side-job pay, so whatever. Its all good. Of course, i would much rather be employing a fixed-wing plane as the weapon system its designed to be, such as bombing/strafing while trying not to get picked off myself. Or flying a cliffside rescue at the edge of the bird's power margin trying to beat the sunset while still being safe. Or finding a ship at night in crap viz miles offshore, creeping along low level, because the position it was supposed to be at, isn't where it is when you get there. Or doing an aerial vehicle chase on the highway of a fleeing felon.

Its all perspective. For some, a 121 jet is the top of their mountain of their career experiences, and likely will be, and thats great. For others, its merely an adjacent peak at a little lower elevation, with regards to their experiences. And thats great too.

Kingairer

'Tiger Team' Member
Pilot's and their "top of the mountain" perception, largely due to their experiences, as well as what they haven't experienced. The part time 121 I do has its interesting moments here and there, neat things to see and experience and all such as flying old school planes, but by and large its sitting at cruise watching the mileage tick down to the nest waypoint. Not exceptionally exciting, but its side-job pay, so whatever. Its all good. Of course, i would much rather be employing a fixed-wing plane as the weapon system its designed to be, such as bombing/strafing while trying not to get picked off myself. Or flying a cliffside rescue at the edge of the bird's power margin trying to beat the sunset while still being safe. Or finding a ship at night in crap viz miles offshore, creeping along low level, because the position it was supposed to be at, isn't where it is when you get there. Or doing an aerial vehicle chase on the highway of a fleeing felon.

Its all perspective. For some, a 121 jet is the top of their mountain of their career experiences, and likely will be, and thats great. For others, its merely an adjacent peak at a little lower elevation, with regards to their experiences. And thats great too.
When did you start doing 121?

Springer

I hope that, for me, it never becomes just a job. But if it ever does I hope I'm in a position where I can walk away.

I don't want to be old and bitter, and there's so much other flying out there to be done.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed flying for a major carrier. It was rewarding even though we were in constant upheaval. It was always my goal to retire early if financially able. Coming full circle back to flying an experimental fulfills all my flying needs.

z987k

The views out the windows are just as wonderful and perhaps even more grand in their scope........the little lanterns on the fishing boats in the inky night over the South China Sea.............the sun climbing over Hong Kong.......the lush mountains peeking out of the mist over Thailand.......amazing storms......beautiful cloud formations and lightning in the distance......the rising of the various planets.....the magnificence of all the stars filling the night sky almost staggering in their singular beauty.........it's the wonder....... it's the little safe warm cocoon of the flight deck as you speed along in the nothingness towards your destination and you realize the perspective of just how small you are and just how grand the rest of the planet is......it's the contemplation of all the lives of the millions of people below you........it's the adventures, the food, the places you will see/visit, the people you will meet, the marvelous experiences that you will have and what you will learn along the way. At least it was for me.
Meh, BTDT. 100ft over the treetops has significantly better views. And the overnights aren't long enough to say you've really been there. A taste at best, but you can't experience a place in 1 or 2 day snippets. It takes weeks, which requires going on your own time.
And, it's not really flying. It's systems management and process operating.

A Life Aloft

Meh, BTDT. 100ft over the treetops has significantly better views. And the overnights aren't long enough to say you've really been there. A taste at best, but you can't experience a place in 1 or 2 day snippets. It takes weeks, which requires going on your own time.
And, it's not really flying. It's systems management and process operating.
I can't agree. It's very much flying when you consider the wx, the winds, certain difficult airports, runway conditions, what to do when there are issues with the plane, the pax, etc. You would be amazed who you can meet, what you can see, do, and experience in just one, two or three days. It's all in a person's attitude and their ability to open themselves up, be positive and have some adventures. Besides, you do have return visits where you can expand your ventures.The possibilities and the surprises along the way are endless if you just step outside your hotel room. You meet and talk to the locals, you go to the open air markets and eat what they eat and try new foods. You can learn so much about a country's culture and history through it's music, art, people, architecture and it's food. I was never disappointed or bored and I made a lot of friends along the way. `

Last edited:

trafficinsight

I thoroughly enjoy the challenge, the structure, and the level I operate at. I like having good equipment and I've never felt more proficient, at least on the airplanes I fly.

I also enjoy the few times I've been able to fly outside of all of that too. I hope to continue flying for fun.

Almost every town has at least one little museum that doesn't take long, and who can beat the local food?

The view is great and the people are mostly great, with only a few exceptions.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

PeanuckleCRJ

Poodle Wrangler
It's kind of saddening seeing his jaded perspective of flying, however when that attitude takes over, I'm glad he's chosen to hang it up. From the little GA planes just buzzing around to flying wide bodies around the world, it's still just joy for me and a constant science to be perfected and art to be refined with each flight.

That mustache will live on, and the AA peoples will get to move up a number. :D

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
The K-5 Blazer is his TARDIS.
The thing is a beast!

It's kind of saddening seeing his jaded perspective of flying, however when that attitude takes over, I'm glad he's chosen to hang it up. From the little GA planes just buzzing around to flying wide bodies around the world, it's still just joy for me and a constant science to be perfected and art to be refined with each flight.

I've been working on having a perfect flight, no mistakes at all, in 3+ decades of flying. I have yet to achieve that. Once I accomplish that, then it will be time to hang it up. :)

PeanuckleCRJ

Poodle Wrangler
I've been working on having a perfect flight, no mistakes at all, in 3+ decades of flying. I have yet to achieve that. Once I accomplish that, then it will be time to hang it up. :)
Ha, just realized it's been more than 2 decades for me now. Still elusive, and then even if I do, I'll prob chase that again! #addict

GypsyPilot

This is the sign of a good pilot right here. A couple of times I’ve flown with the types that claim to have it all figured out... So far I’ve been less than impressed.

JordanD

Honorary Member

I love my job, but the idea of flying airliners until I'm 65 sounds awful to me. Can't wait to peace out early on my own terms and enjoy life, hopefully.