The Flying Mustache Retires

Cherokee_Cruiser

I was fortunate to have enjoyed over three decades as an airline pilot with only one uniform change. I sat in the left seat for almost 28 years, 21 of those years in wide-body equipment.
Hired 1986ish I think? Yet those AA pilots hired in 1991 faced furloughs and 18 yrs in the right seat. Just goes to show how timing and luck are everything in this industry, and absolutely zero to do with merit and how good you are or how bad you work for it.

And that was OK. But the repetitive nature of the airline routine was becoming tedious. A great career had become a job.
Um, yeah, but dude that's like $350+ grand to deal with that crap. One leg across the Atlantic and one leg back is about as easy and civilized as it can get. You could be a regional lifer doing 4-7 legs a day for 30 yrs.

Anyway, I respect him for going out on his own terms and really give him credit for punching out before 65. Far too many pilots say they'll retire before 65, yet fly all the way to 65, and then in their retirement social media post write something like "I stopped flying due to the federal rule that doesn't allow me to fly anymore..."
Bye Felicia!

knot4u

Repeat Offender
Hired 1986ish I think? Yet those AA pilots hired in 1991 faced furloughs and 18 yrs in the right seat. Just goes to show how timing and luck are everything in this industry, and absolutely zero to do with merit and how good you are or how bad you work for it.

Um, yeah, but dude that's like $350+ grand to deal with that crap. One leg across the Atlantic and one leg back is about as easy and civilized as it can get. You could be a regional lifer doing 4-7 legs a day for 30 yrs.

Anyway, I respect him for going out on his own terms and really give him credit for punching out before 65. Far too many pilots say they'll retire before 65, yet fly all the way to 65, and then in their retirement social media post write something like "I stopped flying due to the federal rule that doesn't allow me to fly anymore..."
Bye Felicia!
Your attitude is going to hinder you in the future. He found a way to get himself into the left seat of a 777 at a legacy and retire early, and somehow you have the stones to poop on him. You'll work your entire career and never reach that goal, I'll guarantee it, and I don't gamble.

Cherokee_Cruiser

Your attitude is going to hinder you in the future. He found a way to get himself into the left seat of a 777 at a legacy and retire early, and somehow you have the stones to poop on him. You'll work your entire career and never reach that goal, I'll guarantee it, and I don't gamble.
????

I just wrote above I respect the guy for going out on his own terms. I don't have any ill will against him. He gets pooped on for his work on TV for MH370 and some of his articles which are disconnected from mainstream aviation reality. But I like the guy, I think he writes well and will continue to do so and be successful. You think you know me, if you did you'd know I couldn't care less about a 777. In fact, I've made it clear on more than one occasssion that I put family first and would even be willing to start all over again in regards of staying on the east coast. No where in that equation did a 777 come in and I'm certainly not aiming my career to sit left seat in a 777. I'll always try to do what's best for my family.

Autothrust Blue

"...I know bait when I see it..."
I personally don’t give a flying poop what people wind up doing.

I care far more that (1) they enjoy themselves, (2) they live happy, peaceful lives and (3) they operate whatever they’re in safely and adroitly.

Also, you said a crappy thing, and the condescension is thoroughly not needed, ass-gasket.

knot4u

Repeat Offender
????

I just wrote above I respect the guy for going out on his own terms. I don't have any ill will against him. He gets pooped on for his work on TV for MH370 and some of his articles which are disconnected from mainstream aviation reality. But I like the guy, I think he writes well and will continue to do so and be successful. You think you know me, if you did you'd know I couldn't care less about a 777. In fact, I've made it clear on more than one occasssion that I put family first and would even be willing to start all over again in regards of staying on the east coast. No where in that equation did a 777 come in and I'm certainly not aiming my career to sit left seat in a 777. I'll always try to do what's best for my family.
Maybe it was the "Bye Felicia!" That bothered me. I wish I could grow a majestic mustache, but sadly I look reasonably clean shaven after a week without so much as a shower much less a shave. It leads me to not shave daily. Sad kind of, I have friends that get the 5 o'clock shadow and I feel bad for them. Although I suppose nature has found a way to make sure they can't be lazy like me. I will endeavor to more strictly adhere to a hygiene regimen from this day forward.

Cherokee_Cruiser

Maybe it was the "Bye Felicia!" That bothered me. I wish I could grow a majestic mustache, but sadly I look reasonably clean shaven after a week without so much as a shower much less a shave. It leads me to not shave daily. Sad kind of, I have friends that get the 5 o'clock shadow and I feel bad for them. Although I suppose nature has found a way to make sure they can't be lazy like me. I will endeavor to more strictly adhere to a hygiene regimen from this day forward.
Sorry, in context I was referring only to the guy who wrote the "stopped flying at Age 65 due to federal government regulations." I don't mean bye Felicia to Les. He's a cool guy in my book, IMO. I like his writing style and he seems good on aviation in TV (except the circus that was MH370). My hats off to him on his long, successful career.

I have to shave every day, an annoying PITA. If I went for a week I'd probably look like the Kumar in the scene he scares the old lady on the plane LOL

Screaming_Emu

Dogsheep
Yeah. Cherokee has become extra irritating since he upgraded. I don't get it.

N3901C

Sorry, in context I was referring only to the guy who wrote the "stopped flying at Age 65 due to federal government regulations." I don't mean bye Felicia to Les. He's a cool guy in my book, IMO. I like his writing style and he seems good on aviation in TV (except the circus that was MH370). My hats off to him on his long, successful career.

I have to shave every day, an annoying PITA. If I went for a week I'd probably look like the Kumar in the scene he scares the old lady on the plane LOL
I have the same situation with my beard. I tried the electric shaver thing but it didn’t even make a dent, so now I just use a good pre-shave oil and a Costco size pack of razors.

Murdoughnut

Well sized member
When I retire it will be a total surprise. People will look at my name and be like....who was that guy? I think I heard of him. Was he a Miami guy? One day I'm just not going to show up anymore and that will be that. No fanfare. No cake. And no regrets. I will tell you guys, though, but not in advance.
Still, you should make an announcement to my wife’s new running in shoes in back that it’s your last flight.

;)