The cluster that is E Con in CLT

ozziecat35

4 out of 5 great lakes prefer Michigan.
AA mainline rampers in PHX too. A majority of them started with America West back in the day. I stacked bags out there for almost 5 years. IIRC as a team lead, I got a dollar override and was making $16/hr when I left in 2011. Double time for OT etc. small world moment, @SquatThrust and I were co-workers!

ChasenSFO

hen teaser
I learned the trick to block the road, if the gate is open and no rampers. It's amazing how quickly "operations" get on their ass to get out there, when a dozen bag carts are stopped.
And for the record, ramp towers and airport ops don't care if you do this. They care that the rampers aren't there to meet the damn plane, again. Southwest at SFO likes to keep all the ramp crews at 1 or 2 gates during the slow times even though they have a small rotunda where you can sit at any gate and hear the announcements for another. When one shows up for a 20 minute wait with 7 open gates, I'll park it right on the service road to their bag-room while they wait. LOL

Kind of reminds me of another time, Frontier called to warn us a plane would come in and have to hold for over an hour while the plane landing after it turned since the first plane to land was a terminator and they have 1 gate. I offer them a nearby remote spot to tow off the first arrival and tow it back on later, but they say they "really don't feel like putting a tow team together". First plane lands, I look at FlightRadar24 and the second one is still almost 40 mins out, and it needs to turn before this jet other parks! I call Frontier(aka Trego Dugan the worst ground handler at SFO) again, "Well they pushed on time in Denver I didn't realize they took forever to takeoff(it's the dead of winter). Sorry this is just easier for us, the other plane needs to hold somewhere". I tell the pilots to just try to taxi into the gate and see what happens. Rampers stop them and refuse to park the plane. I send them for a lap back around the corner out of sight, have them make a u-turn in the ramp and come back with their logo light off so they don't recognize the animal on the tail(LOL). It worked! About 30 minutes later I get a call on the radio, "Ramp this is Frontier maintenance request re-position...".

If you want to wrestle with pigs you have to get dirty.

Last edited:

DogwoodLynx

And for the record, ramp towers and airport ops don't care if you do this. They care that the rampers aren't there to meet the damn plane, again. Southwest at SFO likes to keep all the ramp crews at 1 or 2 gates during the slow times even though they have a small rotunda where you can sit at any gate and hear the announcements for another. When one shows up for a 20 minute wait with 7 open gates, I'll park it right on the service road to their bag-room while they wait. LOL

Kind of reminds me of another time, Frontier called to warn us a plane would come in and have to hold for over an hour while the plane landing after it turned since the first plane to land was a terminator and they have 1 gate. I offer them a nearby remote spot to tow off the first arrival and tow it back on later, but they say they "really don't feel like putting a tow team together". First plane lands, I look at FlightRadar24 and the second one is still almost 40 mins out, and it needs to turn before this jet other parks! I call Frontier(aka Trego Dugan the worst ground handler at SFO) again, "Well they pushed on time in Denver I didn't realize they took forever to takeoff(it's the dead of winter). Sorry this is just easier for us, the other plane needs to hold somewhere". I tell the pilots to just try to taxi into the gate and see what happens. Rampers stop them and refuse to park the plane. I send them for a lap back around the corner out of sight, have them make a u-turn in the ramp and come back with their logo light off so they don't recognize the animal on the tail(LOL). It worked! About 30 minutes later I get a call on the radio, "Ramp this is Frontier maintenance request re-position...".

If you want to wrestle with pigs you have to get dirty.
Lol I’m sure you’ve got great stories!

SquatThrust

So, having been a ramper and gate agent in my years prior to moving to the flight deck, it allows me a bit more perception and understanding of what is happening on the ramp and inside the gate house than your typical line pilot. There are definitely many times when these guys are dealt an operational poop-sandwich and are being worked hard. It helps to be understanding and sensitive to that. Even just a few kind words on the headset before pushback can be helpful.

BUT. It also affords me a little more intuition for when we are getting the legitimately lazy minimal efforts from a ramp team, even when appearances might say otherwise.

When we roll up to the gate and come to a stop at the top of the lead-in line and our rampers are visible through the windows of the terminal, and they then casually take notice of our presence, gather themselves up from their seats and slowly plod out the door, then move one cart over a little bit, dig around for some wands, take another minute to program all the bag scanners, and then move like molasses into position to guide us in to the gate...well...I make sure to taxi at an extra safe pace into the block. A verrrry safe pace.

Looking out my window at the one wing walker who was the most egregious offender of being slow and unprepared making frustrated motions for us to move faster brings a little bit of pleasure to my morning.

AA mainline rampers in PHX too. A majority of them started with America West back in the day. I stacked bags out there for almost 5 years. IIRC as a team lead, I got a dollar override and was making $16/hr when I left in 2011. Double time for OT etc. small world moment, @SquatThrust and I were co-workers!
I still miss working on the ramp sometimes! Definitely a good station to be a ramper at, all in all. Plus, those guys are making so much more money now, too.

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
My aunt ran the ELP ground/ramp ops for AW back in the late 80s/90s. Everyone was cross-trained as a ramper, gate agent, etc...

FloridaLarry

As a pax, I feel about CLT the same way I do about Penn State.

Both should be burned to the ground then the earth salted over the ashes.
May the Penn State Nittany Lion gnaw on your most sacred body parts.

KB: I understand your remarks about CLT, but whuzzup with the hatred of PSU?

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
May the Penn State Nittany Lion gnaw on your most sacred body parts.

KB: I understand your remarks about CLT, but whuzzup with the hatred of PSU?
Because sexual abuse of children. I'd nuke the place from orbit if it wouldn't claim a lot of innocents.

Only way to be sure.

EDIT: Your Penn State Nittany Lion can go eff itself.

Max Power

So, having been a ramper and gate agent in my years prior to moving to the flight deck, it allows me a bit more perception and understanding of what is happening on the ramp and inside the gate house than your typical line pilot. There are definitely many times when these guys are dealt an operational poop-sandwich and are being worked hard. It helps to be understanding and sensitive to that. Even just a few kind words on the headset before pushback can be helpful.

BUT. It also affords me a little more intuition for when we are getting the legitimately lazy minimal efforts from a ramp team, even when appearances might say otherwise.

When we roll up to the gate and come to a stop at the top of the lead-in line and our rampers are visible through the windows of the terminal, and they then casually take notice of our presence, gather themselves up from their seats and slowly plod out the door, then move one cart over a little bit, dig around for some wands, take another minute to program all the bag scanners, and then move like molasses into position to guide us in to the gate...well...I make sure to taxi at an extra safe pace into the block. A verrrry safe pace.

Looking out my window at the one wing walker who was the most egregious offender of being slow and unprepared making frustrated motions for us to move faster brings a little bit of pleasure to my morning.

I still miss working on the ramp sometimes! Definitely a good station to be a ramper at, all in all. Plus, those guys are making so much more money now, too.
I was a cleaner, but we did marshalling and pushbacks too. Worked for DGS for about 2 weeks, but that sucked, so I quit. Definitely had some fun, worked with a good (and interesting )group of people. Our downfall was 9/11 of course, Usairways eliminated cleaners not long after I was laid off in 02.

I was also a regional flight attendant for a year (that was enough, even if I hadn't been laid off from that job too) for Shuttle America when they had SAAB's. Definitely agree with the whole idea of perspective of doing another's job and when they suck at it. While I don't recommend the F/A thing, it does help to break the ice with new, scared FA's as I cross seatbelts.

FloridaLarry

Because sexual abuse of children. I'd nuke the place from orbit if it wouldn't claim a lot of innocents.

Only way to be sure.

EDIT: Your Penn State Nittany Lion can go eff itself.
After the revelations, press coverage and new watchfulness, Penn State is now the last place a pedophile would go to practice his/her bad habits.

Kill off 46K+ innocents for a handful of possible miscreants?

I'm certainly not defending Jerry Sandusky - he deserves all he got and more. There should be (and probably is) a special place in hell for people who abuse children, sexually or in any other manner. Joe Paterno and a cluster(f^$*) of University higher-ups blew their opportunities to catch & cure things; they've also had their come-uppance.

Many people would change history if it were possible; no one has figured out a way yet. Time to move on.