The cluster that is E Con in CLT

CUTigerPilot

RJ Scum
Work ethic and minimum wage seldom work well together.
Those with work ethic usually don’t stay at minimum wage jobs. Being a ramper isn’t meant to be a career. Now I will agreee that the business model of having piedmont/Envoy rampers gate agents needs to go. But I’m not the bean counter.

CUTigerPilot

RJ Scum
You know it used to be, right?
Absolutely. When I worked as a ramp controller in ATL, I met many from Delta that made it a career and were paid good money. But work ethic is a choice. And those that have it usually end up doing well for themselves. And those that work hard should be rewarded with either raises or promotions.

ozziecat35

4 out of 5 great lakes prefer Michigan.
I learned the trick to block the road, if the gate is open and no rampers. It's amazing how quickly "operations" get on their ass to get out there, when a dozen bag carts are stopped.
Kinda like blocking Alpha in ORD waiting for an end gate. Though really ground just yells at you and you get to do the Hotel / Alpha bridge tour.

... And those that work hard should be rewarded with either raises or promotions.
That right there is a big problem. Typically, regardless of one's excellence at a particular job, if that job is viewed as "low pay", there is no option for pay raises. Therefore, the only way to "advance" is promotion. Way too often this leads directly to the Peter Principle.

Max Power

It's been many a moon since I was at CLT for my first regional/airline job. It seems nothing has changed. "Go around the "white top" 73, can you get past the "blue top" Airbus? Aight, go around them to the spot, contact ground.

Max Power

They used to have their own cleaners too. I was one from 2000-2002 in Pittsburgh for USAirways. Started at $9.00/hr. Top out pay was 16 or 17 after five years and the contract was pretty decent. 1.5 time for first four hours of OT, double time for the second four. Holidays paid triple time. And full benefits including uniforms and foul weather gear. I still have my parka that I hardly wore. I can shovel snow in a T-shirt and be warm wearing it.