Technology Solution

mrivc211

What is 3 things you would like to see technology solve in aviation that hasn't been tackled yet?

It could be as simple as an app, or maybe a website that provides a service.

Cessnaflyer

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
I think we are getting pretty close to having everything already.

I wish I didn't have to go to the doctor for my medical!

jynxyjoe

The Kickin' Chicken!
What is 3 things you would like to see technology solve in aviation that hasn't been tackled yet?

I'd like a box in there to tell me where my spacing is with the guy in front of me and the trend, and some sort of instantaneous direction from atc on there without a damn radio call.

And I don't want another transmission from them over voice when it's time to switch or go direct, cpdlc or whatever the heck it is. Lets do this over some sort of quick interlinked box and not have to worry about readbacks when we don't staff up enough for that as it is.

drunkenbeagle

Gang Member

More reliable systems, intelligent use of augmented reality to present data, aircraft design that reduces the rate of loss of control accidents.

Lawman

Portable Head/Helmet mounted display.

If a phone can do all the things it can do to track my running/cycling or give me a full moving map with altitude there is no reason it couldn’t be a cheap and easy way to couple to either a helmet mounted or dash mounted display.

Make an app, include a piece of hardware. Program said app to give visual que that says “stop using me!” If position confidence is above a certain threshold.

ppragman

FLIPY FLAPS!
I feel like we had something for this.

CPDLC in an ipad app. Yes, I’m serious.
I'd really like to see AR in the airplane too - I'd like an app that could run in google glass and watch what I'm doing and alert me when I am in the right configuration.

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
And I don't want another transmission from them over voice when it's time to switch or go direct, cpdlc or whatever the heck it is. Lets do this over some sort of quick interlinked box and not have to worry about readbacks when we don't staff up enough for that as it is.
That's reality in some places - or at least close to it - already. I met a Center controller the other day who goes around the country teaching other controllers about this new tech. For the 121 world, it uses CPDLC to do things like automatically switch their freqs, or, if they have a re-route, ATC can upload the re-route right to the FMS in the airplane without doing a voice exchange. He described several other capabilities that I can't remember but those were the ones that stuck out. @NovemberEcho or @A80TRACON (I know you aren't Center guys) might know more about it.

Last edited:

jynxyjoe

The Kickin' Chicken!
That's reality in some places - or at least close to it - already. I met a Center controller the other day who goes around the country teaching other controllers about this new tech. For the 121 world, it uses CPDLC to do things like automatically switch their freqs, or, if they have a re-route, ATC can upload the re-route right to the FMS in the airplane without doing a voice exchange. He described several other capabilities that I can't remember but those were the ones that stuck out. @NovemberEcho or @A80TRACON (I know you aren't Center guys) might know more about it.
It's something singapore airlines briefed us on in '04 (a million years ago) they were doing in Asia that year and it's gonna be here in the US any day now.

Sigh.

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
It's something singapore airlines briefed us on in '04 (a million years ago) they were doing in Asia that year and it's gonna be here in the US any day now.

Sigh.
Again. Already here. The guy I met was doing "Teach the Teacher" seminars for Centers all over the place. I happened to be hanging around the FBO when he came in with his kid - kid was taking his first flight.

z987k

Canada and Australia are the only two countries, to my knowledge that have domestic CPDLC. For en-route. Approach is still voice, as CPDLC is not fast enough.
But it's amazing. You talk to like 2 people crossing all of Canada.
Edmonton, beachball, CPDLC.
Roger eh.
Bing!
And beautiful silence. For like 5 hours. Interrupted by the occasional backup VHF change... over CPDLC.

bimmerphile

SuperCritical™ Member
I heard an exchange on indy center a week or two ago asking about the cpdlc going down again. controller seemed doubtful that it would be running again before the end of november, said they pushed it out way too quickly

augmented reality would be great. adsb input should display traffic on a hud/glasses that show distance and rate of closure. idk how else you can fit more airplanes onto the same piece of pavement without more accurate separation info directly to the people that can change it.

gotWXdagain

Highly Visible Member
But what I’d really like to see is a cabin class twin turboprop with something more than 1960s engineering under the skin. Sure you can put a fancy cockpit in a King Air, but the controls are still moving pulleys, cranking on levers. everything is mechanical.

FADEC that includes both fuel and prop RPM control, Fly By Wire, single lever PCL/Condition lever, autothrust, and FMS capability. Yeah, it’d be expensive. But GA turboprop design needs to hit the 21st century.