Taxes

exerauflyboy5

Got a question for you guys in uniform.
I just left one unmanned LTA gig, for a bigger shinier UAV gig. And, ill get to head overseas for a deployment once or twice a year. So my question is...When you come back from a deployment, how do you folks do your taxes? H&R block? Do you have person? I ask because I have heard about the 330 day overseas deal, just wanted to know if there is a deal or tax benefits with 90-120 deployments. Or deploy twice in the same year with that kind of rotation.

Thanks!!

The Fez

Aftplay Advocate
I'd talk to someone with more knowledge of the system. There are certain exclusions you may be eligible for depending on who you work for and where they send you. There's bound to be someone at your new employer that can point you in the right direction.

ian

i've used an accountant before and turbo tax. Your W2 should show your tax free income and taxed income.

jskibo

Done
i've used an accountant before and turbo tax. Your W2 should show your tax free income and taxed income.
Depends....when I set up and ran Boeing International Support Services Saudi Arabia (wholly owned subsidiary), we didn't W2 anyone except the base managers who were Boeing Aerospace Operations employees and not BISS folks. Then again, the BISS folks all met the 330 rule anyway, the BAO folks sometimes, depending on the year.

TC_ABM

Got a question for you guys in uniform.
I just left one unmanned LTA gig, for a bigger shinier UAV gig. And, ill get to head overseas for a deployment once or twice a year. So my question is...When you come back from a deployment, how do you folks do your taxes? H&R block? Do you have person? I ask because I have heard about the 330 day overseas deal, just wanted to know if there is a deal or tax benefits with 90-120 deployments. Or deploy twice in the same year with that kind of rotation.

Thanks!![/quote

IRS pub 54 covers the 330 day rule and how you claim it, if elegible. Realize the 330 rule covers a 12-month period which may cover two tax years; if so, then there is a way to pro-rate across both years. Before you decide on who does your taxes, you might want to ask them how much experience they have with the 330 day rule; not a lot of tax preparers fully undersatnd it.

The process is vastly different than how Combat Zone Tax Exclusion works for active duty.