1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TA Reached for Atlas/Polar Dispatchers

Discussion in 'Flight Control/Dispatch' started by Mainline_or_bust, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Delta Echo

Delta Echo Well-Known Member

And this why we have the right to organize, negotiate and keep management in check.

womanpilot73 and manniax like this.
  2. MarkM0228

MarkM0228 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, humans, as a rule, will behave as badly as they're allowed. Lord Acton was right.

3. DE727UPS

DE727UPS Well-Known Member

I believe unions are necessary in the airline biz because if you have an FAA certificate to do your job you serve to masters. You serve the FAA and all their pesky FAR's. You screw up with the FAA and you could lose your job. You also serve your company that signs your paycheck but just wants the boxes to move. Just wanting the boxes to move can create a conflict with the FAA master sometimes and the union can offer you some protection.

4. MarkM0228

Those are good points. In the electronics business, we don't have that kind of federal oversight.

5. F9DXER

F9DXER Well-Known Member

Like anything there are good and bad sides to it. I can say after 20 years in this business that included non union and union. I would prefer the latter.

I have had to deal with 2 LOI's and each time the union's legal section gave me advice and helped me do what was needed. It didn't cost me anything. If this had happened in a non union position, I would have been shelling out some big bucks.

Take it for what it is worth.

womanpilot73 and Delta Echo like this.
  6. MarkM0228

Begging your pardon, but what are LOI's? Why would you have had to shell out money?

7. Delta Echo

LOI = Letter of Investigation. It comes from the FAA and is not something to look forward to.

8. womanpilot73

womanpilot73 Well-Known Member

I think that once you begin working as a dispatcher, you're going to have a change of heart. There is great value in being in a union position and bravo to those that represent us and fight for us in contract negotiations.

I can honestly say, working at non-union and union shops, I'm grateful for the union. Is anything perfect? No. But it's leaps and bounds better than it would be without it. The non-union shop used and abused and there were no options for even attempting to right the number of wrongs that were happening on a daily basis. I can't imagine what it would be like at my current shop without the union, but I've heard enough pre-union stories to be damn grateful that we are in a union position now. I observe daily what the non-union employees have to deal with and I'd never make it long term in this position if I had to deal with half of what they do.

Best advice - keep an open mind and don't let past experience cloud your view and judgement of what is there to protect you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. MarkM0228

Ok, I figured that in the context of what F9 said, it was something bad. It's good you had someone to stick up for you. Had the union at the shop I'd worked for done stuff like that, I'd have been happy to pay the dues; I'd have considered it money well spent.

10. MarkM0228

WP,

As someone who spent the vast majority of his working life in non-union establishments, I cannot disagree with anything you said. I've seen and experienced some wrongs myself. For example, I saw guys get fired for no good reason; they weren't counseled on what they did wrong or how to improve; they were just shown the door, which is wrong.

As I stated previously, I didn't mind paying dues; what bothered me was getting NOTHING IN RETURN for them. The same things that happened at previous non-union jobs (like getting fired without cause) happened there too, but the union did not stick up for the guys I worked with; they did absolutely NOTHING for them. I felt as if I were throwing my money away with every paycheck. THAT is what bothered me.

No, if the union had done something (like stick up for the guy with the LOI's above), I'd have had no problem with the dues; shoot, I'd have considered it money well spent. What I object to (not just with this but in general) is throwing my money away. That sticks in my craw, big time.

Well, it's a beautiful day here, so I'm going to get my Honda out for a bit. Since I leave for school tomorrow, I won't be able to do that until I get back...

11. womanpilot73

Don't forget - those dues are a tax write off. And yes, as a dispatcher, it is $$ well spent.

PlaneFan82 and Delta Echo like this.
  12. CS0290

CS0290 Well-Known Member

Wait is it really?? I had no clue.

13. MarkM0228

I didn't, either. That IS good to know, something I'll keep in mind when I start working...

Delta Echo and womanpilot73 like this.
  14. z987k

z987k TeamANC

If you use any tax prep software, it asks something along the lines of - are you a union member/paid dues? And then asks how much, which is on your W2 or paystub at the end of the year - I forget which.

womanpilot73 likes this.
  15. CS0290

CS0290 Well-Known Member

Well this past year it didn't matter since we aren't union at my shop now but will be when 5Y takes over.

Screaming_Emu likes this.
  16. McCrosky

McCrosky Well-Known Member

It is up to a certain income level. And industry standard paid dispatcher at a major wilL hit that pretty early in the pay scale. I think you may have a couple more years WP.

crow and womanpilot73 like this.
  17. MarkM0228

I would think it also depends on whether you can itemize. For most years, the standard deduction works better for me...

18. womanpilot73

True. Once I hit that "income level", are a certain portion still tax deductible or do we lose that benefit altogether?

For you guys just starting out, this won't be an issue. Your dues will be tax deductible at the regional level, as well as the first 2-4 or so years at a major.

19. womanpilot73

Paystub

20. Delta Echo

To clarify, I have not been issued any LOI's. However, they do exist and the Feds can issue one to you. You are absolutely correct that having union backing to defend you is huge in this and other regards, which is why having one in this business is so important.