Swayne coming to a 121 near you

Kingairer

'Tiger Team' Member
Not getting your words exactly out as you would’ve hoped can happen. I can remember jumpseating and running across terminals like 80s OJ and being pushed down the jet bridge as the agent is closing up and muttering out some word salad about jumpseating when I got down. The thing that would
Make me made when I was a captain is when someone would come in, normally some disgruntled mainline a-hole, and would say “I’m up here” never looking at us and already starting to stow one of his 3 bags in places in the cockpit where there wasn’t room anyways.

Cherokee_Cruiser

Not getting your words exactly out as you would’ve hoped can happen. I can remember jumpseating and running across terminals like 80s OJ and being pushed down the jet bridge as the agent is closing up and muttering out some word salad about jumpseating when I got down. The thing that would
Make me made when I was a captain is when someone would come in, normally some disgruntled mainline a-hole, and would say “I’m up here” never looking at us and already starting to stow one of his 3 bags in places in the cockpit where there wasn’t room anyways.
“Hey man, I’m from Hageland, I’m jumpseating I gotta seat in the back. K. Bye.”

tcco94

Professional GTA V Pilot
I've seen this fight on our company Facebook page and I laugh everytime. Don't get me wrong, when someone has "told me" they are in the jump instead of asked, it makes me take an extra look. But then I just get over it because I know some other captain will lose it on them so....

Everytime this gets borough up I chuckle at everyone who absolutely loses it and some even say they'd deny a jumpseat over it...

Then again, we deny jumps over email threats too ;) (too soon?)

Y'all are always welcome in my jump, make yourself comfortable:bounce:

Cherokee_Cruiser

I've seen this fight on our company Facebook page and I laugh everytime. Don't get me wrong, when someone has "told me" they are in the jump instead of asked, it makes me take an extra look. But then I just get over it because I know some other captain will lose it on them so....

Everytime this gets borough up I chuckle at everyone who absolutely loses it and some even say they'd deny a jumpseat over it...

Then again, we deny jumps over email threats too ;) (too soon?)

Y'all are always welcome in my jump, make yourself comfortable:bounce:

Yeah I wouldn't deny him or even give him "the talk." I just found it funny how he did it. The guy looked extremely young and just matter of factly said he's from Hageland jumpseating, got a seat in the back, thank you! and literally turned around and walked down the aisle. I didn't even get a chance to say hi. Nor did I know who Hageland was.

Ajax

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Man, I remember my first time jumpseating. I had just finished my last sim before my type ride in NH and was getting a ride home. On the way to the airport my instructor talked me through it--how to do list and what to say. I had heard horror stories of captains biting peoples' heads off so I was nervous. I walked up there, with my stuff in my hand, politely introduced myself and said I was looking for a ride home and would like to ask for a ride. The captain was a stereotypical old pilot, with the big mustache I could never even hope to grow. He said "What airline are you from again?" and quickly grabbed my ID from me. I was thinking "great, first time doing this and I've somehow screwed up"

He gave me my ID back and said "ExpressJet, huh, well I'll remember that! That is how you ask for the jumpseat young man! Welcome aboard"

I was sure I was being thrown off for a second.

Last edited:

Kingairer

'Tiger Team' Member
Man, I remember my first time jumpseating. I had just finished my last sim before my type ride in NH and was getting a ride home. On the way to the airport my instructor talked me through it--how to do list and what to say. I had heard horror stories of captains biting peoples' heads off so I was nervous. I walked up there, with my stuff in my hand, politely introduced myself and said I was looking for a ride home and would like to ask for a ride. The captain was a stereotypical old pilot, with the big mustache I could never even hope to grow. He said "What airline are you from again?" and quickly grabbed my ID from me. I was thinking "great, first time doing this and I've somehow screwed up"

He gave me my ID back and said "ExpressJet, huh, well I'll remember that! That is how you ask for the jumpseat young man! Welcome aboard"

I was sure I was being thrown off for a second.
First jumpseat I ever had, I was jumpseating on a DL 737-200. Came up to ask for the jumpseat, captain never turned around just took my ID, pulled out his scab list, then handed me back my ID. I was only 22 at the time and I bet has he bothered to turn around he could’ve saved himself the trouble of looking up his list since I was likely not born or in diapers when these guys scabbed. I was the last to board and everything was full and I made the mistake of asking if they had room for my flight case up there. “No, do you have room for bags on your airplane?” sarcastically was the reply. Funny thing was is I had no idea because I hadn’t even been on the real airplane yet, only the sim, and was on my way to IOE ! :). Thanks for the ride!

BigZ

First JS was catching an earlier flight home an hour or so after my type ride. I get handed the JS boarding pass and that was a "oh sh...." moment. Thankfully I had a presence of mind to remember that the union sent out a JS Etiquette email about a week prior (I was preoccupied with other stuff to read it then), so I studied it semi thoroughly on the way down the jetbridge, had my papers in hand and a canned speech from the email rehearsed and all went well.
Knock on the wood so that I don't jinx it, I always enjoy the ride up front.
Last time a week or so ago the CA got out of his seat to help me jam my bag in, ended up having to remove his own, just about jump on it a few times to make it flatter etc. After all that the GA shows up to tell me he's got one seat in the back open up if I want it. Verified with the crew they won't mind my presence and had a much more enjoyable ride on the 737 JS than any inflight entertainment in the back could provide. The FO recently flowed from my shop. Which is another thing - on my routes I have someone from Eagle up front like 95% of the time, including the people I had the pleasure of flying with before. Good meaningful conversation and overall great camaraderie are pretty much guaranteed.
Funniest memory - AA A321 into some place FL, me and another Eagle guy in the JS's, crap wx with a solid possibility of ending up at an alternate, so a lav break is set up, during which four dudes in identical uniforms go do their thing one after the other. 1st class pax were inquiring how many of us fit in that clubhouse.

Alchemy

Partner, Ally, Friend
These commuting stories are all so bad I moved to Alaska to avoid doing that crap again. I have to be dragged kicking and screaming to travel on anything other than a flight I'm an operating crewmember on.

The hilarious thing at my current job is that it's "the culture" to grovel for permission (jumpseat style) when you're on a company deadhead! If you don't do it, look out! There have been "incidents" of guys denying deadheads because the deadheader didn't ask for permission! Did not go well for the denying captains....but that hasn't changed things. The jumpseat environment up here is just ludicrous. Fights over bunks. Petty rivlaries between fleets. Brawls over who ate what catering. OCD compulsions to excessively clean everything with anti-septic and scathing accusations of slovenliness if you don't fall in lock step with the germaphobia. It's sort of a new york city effect where everyone gets rude when every flight has all jumpseats filled to the max all the time and the legs are going to be at least 4-5 hours each, I reckon.

z987k

These commuting stories are all so bad I moved to Alaska to avoid doing that crap again. I have to be dragged kicking and screaming to travel on anything other than a flight I'm an operating crewmember on.

The hilarious thing at my current job is that it's "the culture" to grovel for permission (jumpseat style) when you're on a company deadhead! If you don't do it, look out! There have been "incidents" of guys denying deadheads because the deadheader didn't ask for permission! Did not go well for the denying captains....but that hasn't changed things. The jumpseat environment up here is just ludicrous. Fights over bunks. Petty rivlaries between fleets. Brawls over who ate what catering. OCD compulsions to excessively clean everything with anti-septic and scathing accusations of slovenliness if you don't fall in lock step with the germaphobia. It's sort of a new york city effect where everyone gets rude when every flight has all jumpseats filled to the max all the time and the legs are going to be at least 4-5 hours each, I reckon.
That's... interesting.
If a captain wanted to kick me off a DH for not asking permission, I'd thank him greatly, shake his hand and leave. Go ahead and give CS a call for me to let them know I'll be at home since you think you own their airplane, I'll be enjoying my paid time at home.
I don't know about you, but I don't DH as ordered by the company in my free time or for fun. I'm there only because they are paying me.
I also don't check in with the pilots when I'm not jumpseating and on a paid ticket. Because you'd have to be beyond full of yourself to do that.

Alchemy

Partner, Ally, Friend
That's... interesting.
If a captain wanted to kick me off a DH for not asking permission, I'd thank him greatly, shake his hand and leave. Go ahead and give CS a call for me to let them know I'll be at home since you think you own their airplane, I'll be enjoying my paid time at home.
I don't know about you, but I don't DH as ordered by the company in my free time or for fun. I'm there only because they are paying me.
I also don't check in with the pilots when I'm not jumpseating and on a paid ticket. Because you'd have to be beyond full of yourself to do that.
Exactly. I'm tempted to start saying "Will you please do (our employer) a favor and allow me to ride to XXX?" on the occasions when my bid preference to avoid deadheads fails. As I said, it has not gone too well for the captains that deny deadheaders. I think part of the problem is that the company software lists all riders as "jumpseaters" with a numerical suffix that differentiates if it's actually a pilot deadheader, mx/dispatch, jumpseating pilot, etc. Not everyone is like that of course (probably a small minority), but the weirdos always stick out the most in people's minds.

Checking in on a commercial is just ludicrous. I do my best not to have any sort of uniform item or identifying tags on my luggage for those either. Occasionally I would have < 1 hour to get from the CVG sort to my end-of-pattern gateway home at brand X and would rush over to the terminal in uniform to fly home....almost always regretted that. Probably poor form to have the uniformed pilot in middle seat 67B drooling/snoring in the face of some poor Allegiant/Frontier pax at 10 AM local on Tuesday morning.

GypsyPilot

Ugh.

Not trying to generalize here, but in my experience it will be a good thing for almost all airline cultures when the baby boomers are retired and completely out of the picture. There are some really cool men and women from that generation, but for whatever reason all the biggest PIA types seem to be of that group as well.

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun
Ugh.

Not trying to generalize here, but in my experience it will be a good thing for almost all airline cultures when the baby boomers are retired and completely out of the picture. There are some really cool men and women from that generation, but for whatever reason all the biggest PIA types seem to be of that group as well.
I’m sure by the time our generation reaches that age, especially after a career on whacky sleep schedules and all the other weirdness that comes with the territory, we’ll be right there with em.

z987k

Ugh.

I don't know if the boomer generation all retire out soon, but we've already retired most of ours, and the rest are 63+, except one, he's early 50's I think. Every one of them you want gone also complains about the age 65 and plans to be killing their pax in a small jet under 135 or 91 after.

Richman

Wow. Lot of haters in this thread. You all must have found out that your degree in ancient Atruskian Studies that you paid $150k for only qualifies you for assistant deputy barista at Starbucks. Hopefully the rules will change and you can dismiss that loan in bankruptcy.

But hey, I'm a Gen Xer, which means I have a hard time giving a s4!t about stuff I don't care about....

Cherokee_Cruiser

Wow. Lot of haters in this thread. You all must have found out that your degree in ancient Atruskian Studies that you paid $150k for only qualifies you for assistant deputy barista at Starbucks. Hopefully the rules will change and you can dismiss that loan in bankruptcy.

But hey, I'm a Gen Xer, which means I have a hard time giving a s4!t about stuff I don't care about....
“Okay Karen....”