Swayne coming to a 121 near you

Jordan93

I should show that jumpseating video to the FA who said “hey I’m in your jumpseat” this past trip. Um, no let’s try that again.

SeanD

I watched a few of his videos today and all of them seemed like Envoy marketing videos geared towards middle school aged kids interested in aviation. It’s not nearly as bad as the puppet guy. Maybe they should do a collab together.

Cherokee_Cruiser

I watched a few of his videos today and all of them seemed like Envoy marketing videos geared towards middle school aged kids interested in aviation. It’s not nearly as bad as the puppet guy. Maybe they should do a collab together.

What’s wrong with Roger Victor?

Cherokee_Cruiser

I should show that jumpseating video to the FA who said “hey I’m in your jumpseat” this past trip. Um, no let’s try that again.
I had a guy do that. Said he’s from Hageland and was jumpseating so thanks and walked back to the cabin.

My first thought was who the $&@! is Hageland.

Second thought was who the %?^# is this guy?

This is My Screen Name

Don't be that guy.

When I was new to this airline lifestyle - I went to talk to the Captain near the Gate agents desk and I was tired, didn't sleep well, whatever. So the sentence I had in my head was "It looks like I'll be in the jumpseat if that's ok with you sir". I verbally got "it looks like I'll be in the jumpseat..." out of my mouth when the grown ass man started jumping up and down like a petulant child about "how dare I" as me, the gate agent and his FO stood and watched him with gaping mouths. When he got done with his tirade, I said "and I was going to say IF THATS OK WITH YOU". Thankfully I got a seat in the back for that flight.

If there is no reason for you to not allow someone to have the seat and the gate agent did their job correctly then what the hell is wrong with someone saying "I'm in the jump". Seriously. Yea, its our right as a Capn blah blah blah. I just say "welcome aboard" I don't really give a • who rides in the jumpseat. I also do the walk however and make sure no one is left behind. So yea. Whatever.

Jordan93

Don't be that guy.

When I was new to this airline lifestyle - I went to talk to the Captain near the Gate agents desk and I was tired, didn't sleep well, whatever. So the sentence I had in my head was "It looks like I'll be in the jumpseat if that's ok with you sir". I verbally got "it looks like I'll be in the jumpseat..." out of my mouth when the grown ass man started jumping up and down like a petulant child about "how dare I" as me, the gate agent and his FO stood and watched him with gaping mouths. When he got done with his tirade, I said "and I was going to say IF THATS OK WITH YOU". Thankfully I got a seat in the back for that flight.

If there is no reason for you to not allow someone to have the seat and the gate agent did their job correctly then what the hell is wrong with someone saying "I'm in the jump". Seriously. Yea, its our right as a Capn blah blah blah. I just say "welcome aboard" I don't really give a • who rides in the jumpseat. I also do the walk however and make sure no one is left behind. So yea. Whatever.
No. You ask permission to ride the jumpseat. The jumpseat is a privilege. It’s a professional courtesy to ASK for a ride not TELL the captain you’re riding in his/her jumpseat. It has nothing to do about a power trip or stroking my ego. I didn’t deny her the seat. I reminded her that some captains would freak out over her not ASKING for permission, so for her sake it may be a good idea to ask for a ride.

GypsyPilot

No. You ask permission to ride the jumpseat. The jumpseat is a privilege. It’s a professional courtesy to ASK for a ride not TELL the captain you’re riding in his/her jumpseat. It has nothing to do about a power trip or stroking my ego.
Absolutely.

But I also had several times where someone offline said “I’m going to be riding the jumpseat”. Not once did I ever feel it was my duty to be the jumpseat police, so I’d just say ok welcome aboard.

web265

Most important to me is this;

I pre-flight the Jumpseat whenever possible. Several times I’ve talked to Jumpseaters at the gate, only to get ready to push back without them checking in at the flight deck.

Stop what I’m doing to get them on and find them in the back WTH!

I’ve had this with obvious new folks but mainline guys as well.

Am I overthinking / over doing this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jordan93

Absolutely.

But I also had several times where someone offline said “I’m going to be riding the jumpseat”. Not once did I ever feel it was my duty to be the jumpseat police, so I’d just say ok welcome aboard.
O yea. I’d never deny someone the seat because they didn’t ask for a ride. I usually just remind them that they may tell Captain Happy what he just told me and that Captain may give him an ear full about not asking for a ride. When I see jumpseaters at the gate I tell them even if they get a seat in the back to come up and say hi so I know you got on. I don’t want to leave anyone behind

JordanD

Honorary Member
Don't be that guy.

Especially if it's an FA because I really don't give a crap who's riding in that or what's going on back there.

Autothrust Blue

"I’d make a suggestion but you won’t listen”
Especially if it's an FA because I really don't give a crap who's riding in that or what's going on back there.
I do, because my FOM says we're supposed to have ACM paperwork for everyone.

NOTICE: If you ride on the Banana Bus as an OAL rider EVEN IN A CABIN SEAT, you must have the ACM form. I don't care what the station says, the FOM says you have to have it.

Generally this isn't the jump rider's fault, though.

Autothrust Blue

"I’d make a suggestion but you won’t listen”
No. You ask permission to ride the jumpseat. The jumpseat is a privilege. It’s a professional courtesy to ASK for a ride not TELL the captain you’re riding in his/her jumpseat. It has nothing to do about a power trip or stroking my ego. I didn’t deny her the seat. I reminded her that some captains would freak out over her not ASKING for permission, so for her sake it may be a good idea to ask for a ride.
I state it as "y'all mind if a bum a ride" or some similar formulation.

"Sure. Get in loser, we're going flying."

bike21

9-5 Ruins Lives
Had a Skywest guy with a revenue ticket volunteer to sit in the jumpseat when they had a seat dupe. That was a paperwork cluster that delayed us.

Don’t do that.
There was a crap idea of a policy once upon a time (still in effect?) that allowed SkyW deadheaders to JS when on company metal to 'help' on oversold situations. Probably spilled over in his/her thinking but yeah, it dumb.