Swayne coming to a 121 near you

Autothrust Blue

"Duuuuuude."
Autoland has been around since the 1960's.

Hasn't replaced pilots yet.
You know, if they'd let me hit the (D) pseudo-waypoint of my own accord on an arrival linked to an approach, sans micromanagement (we're looking at you, Miami Approach), all of our lives would be easier.

ozziecat35

4 out of 5 great lakes prefer Michigan.
I’m on day 2 of 14 days where I owe absolutely nothing to my company. I feel you.
Hell I know I’m still new to the gig, but I’m on day 3 of 4 off...my kids keep looking at me wondering why I’m still here. Im starting to get twitchy...guess it takes a while for the excitement to go fly to get beaten out of your system. It is nice though to run errands during the week when things are open and take my kids to school.

Screaming_Emu

Dogsheep
Hell I know I’m still new to the gig, but I’m on day 3 of 4 off...my kids keep looking at me wondering why I’m still here. Im starting to get twitchy...guess it takes a while for the excitement to go fly to get beaten out of your system. It is nice though to run errands during the week when things are open and take my kids to school.
Oh, I still absolutely love my job. When I was 6 years old and standing on the observation deck in Tokyo I watched 747s land from cities all over the world. That’s exactly the kind of flying I’ve always wanted to do and I’m doing exactly that. I love my job, but I gotta have some time to relax.

tcco94

Professional GTA V Pilot
Honest question...do people like flying the 145? I was under the impression it was like the 200 and everyone hated flying that thing.

bimmerphile

SuperCritical™ Member
Honest question...do people like flying the 145? I was under the impression it was like the 200 and everyone hated flying that thing.
I honestly don't mind it. It's loud as hell, and the pitch trim has had issues during takeoff, but I have the rest of my career to fly with VNAV and autothrottles. The anti ice system works well, it slows down fairly easily, the systems make sense and the flight guidance is pretty straightforward. I think it's probably one of the easier jets to fly (coming from an idiot turboprop driver whom embraer designed it for)

tcco94

Professional GTA V Pilot
I honestly don't mind it. It's loud as hell, and the pitch trim has had issues during takeoff, but I have the rest of my career to fly with VNAV and autothrottles. The anti ice system works well, it slows down fairly easily, the systems make sense and the flight guidance is pretty straightforward. I think it's probably one of the easier jets to fly (coming from an idiot turboprop driver whom embraer designed it for)
That sounds a lot better than the 200

woodreau

My issues with the EMB-145 are minor. As long as you’re conscious of the habits you’ll pick up and have to unlearn you’ll be ok. (But I guess that’s true of any airplane)

- the anti-ice. It comes on automatically. I’m not aware of any other plane with automatic anti-ice. Everyone else (airbus boeing bombardier) you learn to automatically glance at the temp gauge when you fly thru visible moisture then if it meets criteria for anti-ice you manually turn on the anti-ice. On an embaer you don’t develop that automatic reflex to look and if you really need the extra performance (never in normal operation -maybe in an emergency) you can’t override the antiice. It’s on and you can’t turn it off.

- bypassing safety guards. When you lift a safety guard it’s meant to force you to think about what you’re doing. i.e. do you really want to do this? Bypassing a safety guard twice is a normal procedure on an Embraer for every flight. Since you defeat the safety guards every flight you’re desensitized and don’t give a second thought to lifting a guard anymore. You don’t bypass any safety guards on an airbus Boeing bombardier in the normal course of a flight.

The navigation on an emb-145 was an afterthought so none of the avionics boxes talk to each other. So while the captains fms is flying somewhere the fos fms could be flying somewhere else or even not loaded at all.

About the only thing I liked about the emb-145 was it had an ahrs. No EFIS COMP MON cautions taking off from LGA in an Embraer.

Anyway it’s an airplane and it’s the airplane you’re flying that pays the bills. There will be many planes after the Embraer.

jtrain609

I'm a carnal, organic anagram.
My issues with the EMB-145 are minor. As long as you’re conscious of the habits you’ll pick up and have to unlearn you’ll be ok. (But I guess that’s true of any airplane)

- the anti-ice. It comes on automatically. I’m not aware of any other plane with automatic anti-ice. Everyone else (airbus boeing bombardier) you learn to automatically glance at the temp gauge when you fly thru visible moisture then if it meets criteria for anti-ice you manually turn on the anti-ice. On an embaer you don’t develop that automatic reflex to look and if you really need the extra performance (never in normal operation -maybe in an emergency) you can’t override the antiice. It’s on and you can’t turn it off.

- bypassing safety guards. When you lift a safety guard it’s meant to force you to think about what you’re doing. i.e. do you really want to do this? Bypassing a safety guard twice is a normal procedure on an Embraer for every flight. Since you defeat the safety guards every flight you’re desensitized and don’t give a second thought to lifting a guard anymore. You don’t bypass any safety guards on an airbus Boeing bombardier in the normal course of a flight.

The navigation on an emb-145 was an afterthought so none of the avionics boxes talk to each other. So while the captains fms is flying somewhere the fos fms could be flying somewhere else or even not loaded at all.

About the only thing I liked about the emb-145 was it had an ahrs. No EFIS COMP MON cautions taking off from LGA in an Embraer.

Anyway it’s an airplane and it’s the airplane you’re flying that pays the bills. There will be many planes after the Embraer.
Where did you fly the 145? The Honeywell boxes can operated together or be set to single mode so they operate entirely independently.

Also, not every 145 has a full AHRS. We had some at XJT that had flux compasses still, and you had the problems in LGA with the HSI being off.