Swayne coming to a 121 near you

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun
If anyone is in these similar shoes, I HIGHLY recommend taking a personal leave. My airline allows a 5 yr personal leave. You retain and accrue seniority and retain (but not accrue) longevity for pay/vacation. Still, you have a seniority number to come back to. 5 years is a LONG time. By then whatever you are trying either works out or doesn’t. This way you don’t have to start over again at a expat pilot job or an airline in your own country at the bottom of the list.
That’s actually a pretty cool benefit. I feel like there’s a number of folks out there who would be better off doing that even for a year or two.

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun
This isn't limited to pilots. So many people are insistent that the ONLY way to find happiness is through getting the perfect job that makes them whole. Makes it hard to job search.
I think the key words here are “only” and “perfect”.

I’d argue that regardless of what you do if you can’t find some meaning in it, even if just for the sake of doing a task well, you need to step back and recalibrate. Aviation even more so, as it’s so multi-faceted.

ppragman

Direct Yeska
I think the key words here are “only” and “perfect”.

I’d argue that regardless of what you do if you can’t find some meaning in it, even if just for the sake of doing a task well, you need to step back and recalibrate. Aviation even more so, as it’s so multi-faceted.
I loved flying the 1900, but the only intrinsic meaning I got out of it was the satisfaction of doing a good job. That's typically enough for me to be happy, but I found moving Amazon packages on the same 4 routes over and over again to be totally unfulfilling.

Was it meaningful? To me, at the time, yes but only insofar as it was a means to an end and I like doing a good job and flying procedurally. Did I derive much meaning from a job moving Zappos shoes, Bull Semen, and urine samples? Not really.

If my regional ever approved leave I would definitely go play bar tender in a ski town for a few months a year, crash on a couch, and ski to my hearts content. That’s a crazy dream for now though.

GypsyPilot

Trying to explain leaving a captain seat at British Airways to a group of pilots on a website named "jetcareers" is probably like pushing water uphill lol, but I get where the guy is coming from. Being a number on a seniority list just isn't for everyone.
But that guy’s job apparently sucked. He left it to work at an ex-pat flying job in SE Asia. Those are crappy, crappy jobs compared to a US major airline job. Having worked in the professional white collar world, my job at a major airline is absurdly awesome... And I’m just a junior guy on first year pay.

Cherokee_Cruiser

But that guy’s job apparently sucked. He left it to work at an ex-pat flying job in SE Asia. Those are crappy, crappy jobs compared to a US major airline job. Having worked in the professional white collar world, my job at a major airline is absurdly awesome... And I’m just a junior guy on first year pay.

You're a Co-pilot!

L-16B

The airlines are certainly NOT for everyone however, in this hiring environment, you’d be crazy not to give it a shot and stick it out.
Not to be Debby downer but as a young guy i would most certainly be conceded about single or no pilot towards the back half of my career.

poser765

Not to be Debby downer but as a young guy i would most certainly be conceded about single or no pilot towards the back half of my career.
Not in my lifetime. Probably not my kid’s either. Ok, single pilot MAYBE. No pilots? Generations away.

Cessnaflyer

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Not in my lifetime. Probably not my kid’s either. Ok, single pilot MAYBE. No pilots? Generations away.
We went from not being able to travel by heavier-than-air aircraft to sending probes out of our solar system in less than a century. I wouldn’t be too sure about being replaced in a few decades.

poser765

We went from not being able to travel by heavier-than-air aircraft to sending probes out of our solar system in less than a century. I wouldn’t be too sure about being replaced in a few decades.
There is a lot more to it than simply making software and hardware to fly a plane. The tech could be unveiled tomorrow and I’d wager it’d still take a generation or two to get no pilot airliners.

You have to make new regulations, retrofit or replace existing fleets, there’s R&D, and production times. And most critical of all, you need to convince people as a while it’s ok. This is not quick.