Swayne coming to a 121 near you

Screaming_Emu

Dogsheep
Nice video and great enthusiasm on his part. I'm not sure why some guys say, "we will see if he's still smiling in a year". Why can't the guy just enjoy what he does and his life? Everything in life is amazing with some suck to it, and professional flying is nothing different from that. It's been said over and over again that regional airline flying is what you make of it. So if being an airline pilot blogger makes him happy, then good on you man.
This.

There is a lot of suck in this industry, but there is a lot of awesome too. It’s no secret and we have pretty much all gone through it. The only thing that makes it worse is working with someone who can’t move past the negatives and make the best of the good stuff. Makes for a long trip.

So far my favorite 5 years of my career was flying CRJ-200s out of IAD. I was underpaid, not respected, and given maybe 50% of the tools to do my job. But somehow the seniority gods amassed the perfect group of people up there for our 14 airplane base. We worked hard to kick ass on the things we could control and let go of the things we couldn’t. We referred to it as “the art of not giving a ____.”

While one guy would be screaming on the ops freq about slow loading or the fuelers being nowhere to be seen, we’d be like “we aren’t going anywhere any time soon. I’m gonna go get some coffee from Mayorga. Anyone need anything?”

When things went really sideways, we couldn’t wait to share the details of the goat rodeo with our coworkers. I still have a screenshot that someone sent me in a group chat from when they were 12 hours late due to maintenance out of ATL.

AceyDC for life.

JordanD

Honorary Member
This.

There is a lot of suck in this industry, but there is a lot of awesome too. It’s no secret and we have pretty much all gone through it. The only thing that makes it worse is working with someone who can’t move past the negatives and make the best of the good stuff. Makes for a long trip.

So far my favorite 5 years of my career was flying CRJ-200s out of IAD. I was underpaid, not respected, and given maybe 50% of the tools to do my job. But somehow the seniority gods amassed the perfect group of people up there for our 14 airplane base. We worked hard to kick ass on the things we could control and let go of the things we couldn’t. We referred to it as “the art of not giving a ____.”

While one guy would be screaming on the ops freq about slow loading or the fuelers being nowhere to be seen, we’d be like “we aren’t going anywhere any time soon. I’m gonna go get some coffee from Mayorga. Anyone need anything?”

When things went really sideways, we couldn’t wait to share the details of the goat rodeo with our coworkers. I still have a screenshot that someone sent me in a group chat from when they were 12 hours late due to maintenance out of ATL.

AceyDC for life.
Adopting this attitude and actually being able to set the tone like that has been pretty great. “Welp, I did my due diligence, but I can’t do everyone’s job for them.”

Acrofox

All fox
Agreed. I’ve done the 8-2 sim plenty of times and don’t mind it. At least you’re able to sleep with that schedule. A 4 am start though? That’s asking for an eventual sleep deprivation issue. Not many people can fall asleep at 7 pm for a 3 am wake up.
I had a roommate in sim who was on the opposite sim slot... I had 0400-1000, he had like 2000-0200. I had just come from Alaska, and couldn’t sleep in >60... he was from Florida and kept the room at 80. This wasn’t suites, it was two beds side by side.

There was no sleep.

I was a total zombie by the end, running on basically zero sleep for a week.

I had a roommate in sim who was on the opposite sim slot... I had 0400-1000, he had like 2000-0200. I had just come from Alaska, and couldn’t sleep in >60... he was from Florida and kept the room at 80. This wasn’t suites, it was two beds side by side.

There was no sleep.

Missed opportunities. You could have kept each other comfortable!

GypsyPilot

There was no sleep.

Augh. Comfort Suites? I was extremely fortunate to have an awesome new hire sim partner/roommate.

DPApilot

GUYSH! GUYSH! GUYSH!
Meh.

I'm not a fan of the overly preachy bold method articles, but why crap on the kid because he's excited about the start of his career? If anything he's doing a hell of a lot more to get younger guys excited about flying than most....

Jordan93

It reminds of the old school GA guys who complain while sitting on their rockers on FBO deck. They wonder why more young people don’t get involved in aviation...

Cherokee_Cruiser

Okay, but I want a realism video by Swayne once he's on reserve in LGA. The following must be included, which are reflective of true stories I've had in a pad:

* 1 room with 4 beds total in bunk style with at least one guy snoring louder than a rhinoceros. Audio capture in HD.
* Unflushed feces in the one toilet available in the pad. Yes, someone didn't bother to flush it.
* Toilet paper has run out while you're using bathroom
* Hair all over the damn shower floor and walls.
* Spotty Wifi service despite their insistence the system is brand new, blazing fast, and won't disappoint.
* Film self for full 5 days of reserve without having been used even once to fly.