1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SWA Window Opens 4/22-4/24

Discussion in 'Airline Pilots' started by ZapBrannigan, Apr 15, 2017.

1. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Old School

With that attitude it sure is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Stryker172

Stryker172 Well-Known Member

Its like the 4 year degree is preferred thing. How many people get hired without it? (No regionals dont count)

3. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Old School

Had a young RJ captain call me for advice. He is college educated, check airman etc. But has three failures including 2 at his 121 carrier. Told him to be honest and hopefully he will have the chance to explain them.

3 seems like a lot though. Think he will get a shot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. JetDoc

JetDoc Delta and now AA profit sharing contributor.

It should have no bearing. If any of you ever submitted an ASAP for an altitude bust, clearance limit bust, airframe limitation bust etc. you just busted a check ride, the difference being that there wasn't CKA, ASI or DPE on the jump seat. Disagree with me? Then I dare any one of you to blast through 10,000 feet at 300 KIAS or exceed flap speeds on your next check ride or LOE and get back to me with the outcome. We all know that we would never purposely do such a thing but we also all know that ASAP'S get submitted everyday for just the same.

5. Dexter

Dexter Hop off there, Blonde Ambition Tour

Ummm what?

RORO likes this.
  6. Ayork62493

Ayork62493 GBR

Wat? Wow there are a lot of checkride failures every day then. Things I never knew!

7. cactusjuba

cactusjuba Well-Known Member

I think what he is trying to say is that nobody is a perfect pilot, we've all made a mistake flying. If we mess up in the SIM its forever, if its in a real plane with real people we can just ASAP it. Some folks may actually be better (or worse) aviators than can be indicated by # of busts. Frankly its a lot more subjective system than objective IMO.

Back to Zaps point, hopefully his buddy can get a chance to be considered further. Let the interviewer view the whole story/individual and let them make the right decision.

JetDoc likes this.
  8. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Old School

9. JetDoc

Exactly my point, thank you.

10. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Old School

We all understand that. But unfortunately the computer scoring and selecting candidates to interview doesn't. The HR employee who wasn't even out of high school on 9/11 doesn't. They see numbers against a baseline that they created, and until you are sitting across the table from them, you have no chance to explain the follies that led you to this place in your career.

So while I agree with your premise, I don't think it is much comfort to those who will - for whatever the reason - have to fight to overcome speed bumps and skeletons from their distant past.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. Cloud Surfer

Cloud Surfer Slinger of the Gear

Moreover, some people just have bad luck and get the examiner who feels like busting people on Tuesday. Different training programs are harder than others as well.

I think that having a pattern of multiple failed rides--especially in short duration--should be scrutinized far more seriously than having a failed ride or two interspersed by many years on one's record.

JetDoc likes this.
  12. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Old School

Should? Perhaps. And as the shortage deepens I think we will get there. Until then, I think it is still pretty competitive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. Cloud Surfer

Cloud Surfer Slinger of the Gear

I don't think there will ever be a shortage at any well paying carrier that offers excellent QOL. I like to lower my expectations--that way I will be pleasantly surprised if things do work out, haha.

JetDoc likes this.
  14. JetDoc

Well I'm giving up. My Airline Apps subscription expires next month and I'm not going to renew it. I might as well flush the money down the toilet. I will just have to be content captaining my little 175 around for the next 14 years.

15. T/O w/FSII

T/O w/FSII Well-Known Member

Thanks! Just increased the chances for me. Appreciate it!

JetDoc and tiredcfi like this.
  16. T/O w/FSII

T/O w/FSII Well-Known Member

I disagree, a checkride is expected to be perfect because you have time to prep for it. Months or weeks in advance to prepare for one flight. You pop that 3 times? I see that as someone who can't show up prepared for a important day. How can I be sure you can show up prepared for a regular day? I can't.

tlewis95 likes this.
  17. slough

slough Well-Known Member

If he has a bunch of 121 hours and is a checkairmen, I think that proves he can show up for a regular day.

JetDoc likes this.
  18. FL350

FL350 Well-Known Member

This question isn't specific to Southwest, but in general when applying to airlines what are your thoughts on the gender and ethnicity questions.
    When you could answer "prefer not to answer". I know some people will say it makes a difference, although it shouldn't.

Anything wrong with putting prefer not to answer?

I've always found it odd that those questions are on an application.

19. poser765

poser765 Well-Known Member

The problem with your thinking is you are trying to apply a binary viewpoint to something that is definitely not. The success of a checkride is NOT determined solely by one's preparedness. Someone can be fully prepared but still just do something stupid, as often happens in checking events.

I believe it's just for demographic statistics.

20. JetDoc

Enjoy the grind. I also find your arrogance amusing.

Cloud Surfer and FL350 like this.