• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

SWA FO arrested for trying to board with a handgun

I’m under the impression they typically don’t arrest for trying to carry a gun through a security checkpoint, so I’m presuming he was breaking some other NY state gun law?

This happened to a close family member of mine as a pax. He borrowed a bag from his dad not realizing dad had left a firearm in one of the pockets. TSA caught it and briefly detained him. Not only did he still make his flight, but they allowed someone to come and pick up the gun. Admittedly, this took place in a state much more firearm friendly than NY, though.

But, uh, if you want to carry a gun, why not just sign up for FFDO?

BaronPete

Jaw Harp Troubadour
I’m under the impression they typically don’t arrest for trying to carry a gun through a security checkpoint, so I’m presuming he was breaking some other NY state gun law?

This happened to a close family member of mine as a pax. He borrowed a bag from his dad not realizing dad had left a firearm in one of the pockets. TSA caught it and briefly detained him. Not only did he still make his flight, but they allowed someone to come and pick up the gun. Admittedly, this took place in a state much more firearm friendly than NY, though.

But, uh, if you want to carry a gun, why not just sign up for FFDO?
Many people interpret this to be all that happens. You still get a letter from DHS that assesses a civil penalty of some sort. Usually $1-3K in my experience. They take your attitude and whether or not it was "artfully concealed" into account. 10K is the max, I believe.

FFDOs at cargo carriers = beyond ridiculous. I understand the Auburn Calloway incident. But come on. Nothing more than a chance to show your **** outside, knowing full well you carry only boxes and the occasional 121 CASS-approved pilot jumpseaters.

The only legitimate threat is the threat-within. And for that case, full barrier cockpit doors are actually harmful.

Hacker15e

Virtue Signaling Intersectional Nonbinary Otherkin
FFDOs at cargo carriers = beyond ridiculous. I understand the Auburn Calloway incident. But come on. Nothing more than a chance to show your **** outside, knowing full well you carry only boxes and the occasional 121 CASS-approved pilot jumpseaters.

The only legitimate threat is the threat-within. And for that case, full barrier cockpit doors are actually harmful.
So you don't think there's a potential for stowaways or hijacking on airplanes coming off a cargo ramp?

I heartily disagree. Won't go much further on this topic, but there is nothing unique to passenger ops when a hijacker wants to use an airplane as a weapon.

And...hint, hint...an FFDO can help protect the flight deck against an insider threat just as much as a hijacker or stowaway.

So you don't think there's a potential for stowaways or hijacking on airplanes coming off a cargo ramp?
Extremely unlikely. I get more thoroughly vetted traveling on Fedex than I do any passenger carrier. Show me in the history of Fedex/UPS asides from Calloway when a stowaway hijacking has happened?

I heartily disagree. Won't go much further on this topic, but there is nothing unique to passenger ops when a hijacker wants to use an airplane as a weapon.
Risk calculation.... where would you put that chance? I'd have to put it zero. What terrorist going to try to stowaway on a Fedex plane in hopes of trying to take you over? Never has happened. Far easier to just outright buy a used 727/737 on the market (ASO.com) and fly it as a weapon.

And...hint, hint...an FFDO can help protect the flight deck against an insider threat just as much as a hijacker or stowaway.
Inside threats, yes. Stowaway or hijacker argument on Fedex/UPS gets to be ridiculous. If we are to be reasonable and honest, your biggest threat in terms of humans is going to be the insider factor. And as history has shown, that's *precisely* what it was.

FFDOs on Fedex/UPS is a laughable concept.