SWA ADX Jan 2019

bbmikej

You don't interview at all on test day, just fill out an application and take the test. So, while I wouldn't wear shorts and a t-shirt or anything, I don't think you need to wear a suit either. Business casual should be fine.
I would disagree. This will be your first in person contact with the company. You only have 1 chance to make a first impression. Do you want to be the only person NOT in a suit?

manniax

Well-met in the Ka-tet
I would disagree. This will be your first in person contact with the company. You only have 1 chance to make a first impression. Do you want to be the only person NOT in a suit?
It's Southwest. People can go to work there in shorts and t-shirts. Not saying a person should wear that either, but I'd be cautious about being overdressed as well...if you're too dressed up, you might not appear to be a good cultural "fit." As I said, though, it really doesn't matter much for the initial visit, as all you do is fill out an application, and take the test.

bbmikej

The last time I tested, there were about 40 people. I don't think a single person wasn't in a suit. So while you probably could be in business casual, do you want to be remembered as the person who wasn't dressed up?

crjdxr

Whale watching over SCUPP
The last time I tested, there were about 40 people. I don't think a single person wasn't in a suit. So while you probably could be in business casual, do you want to be remembered as the person who wasn't dressed up?
Suit or coat and tie?
Suit = business formal
Coat and tie = business professional
Polo and slacks = business casual

Kind of sexist there....
Women's business formal = suit with a skirt while wearing pantyhose and closed toe pumps
Women's business professional = skirt or pants suit with heels
Women's business casual = collared shirt or sweater with dress pants and dress shoes or boots. Conservative dresses and skirts are also acceptable attire.

manniax

Well-met in the Ka-tet
My personal policy is to try and wear clothing similar to what I'd wear on the job, but slightly dressier. I would probably go with Dockers and a dress shirt, possibly with a sport jacket depending on the weather. Doubt I'd wear a tie though. However, as I don't work there, perhaps some people who do could offer their opinions on the subject.

jetstream7104

I don’t believe a lot of emphasis is placed on whether you are business casual or suit and tie. I think you need to look good but feel comfortable and confident at the same time. So whatever attire does that for you, wear it.... (minus the jeans, shorts, flip flops of course)

I wore khakis, shirt and tie (no coat) and things turned out quite nicely in the end.

CF34-3B1

I think they are looking for attention to detail, whether you are someone they can work with for the next 30+ years or not, and how you treat and interact with others more than anything else. I think some people think that because WN has a “fun loving, relaxed” culture that it’s alright to dress like a slob. I wore a suit, and 3 others that day did as well. It might have been a little much but it doesn’t hurt. Almost everyone else wore slacks/khakis, some form of button up shirt, and about 50% or so were wearing a tie. As far as the test goes: I would study even if you think you don’t need to. I mean, if you’ve made it this far do you really want to see how close you can scrape by? Or do you want to pull out all the stops and do everything in your power to make it happen? I definitely over prepared, but it worked for me. Good luck to all who are testing.

NTDX

Just got the dreaded TBNT email. Oh well oh well.

To those still in the running: Good luck! We’re all counting on you.

Altimeter

I think they are looking for attention to detail, whether you are someone they can work with for the next 30+ years or not, and how you treat and interact with others more than anything else. I think some people think that because WN has a “fun loving, relaxed” culture that it’s alright to dress like a slob. I wore a suit, and 3 others that day did as well. It might have been a little much but it doesn’t hurt. Almost everyone else wore slacks/khakis, some form of button up shirt, and about 50% or so were wearing a tie. As far as the test goes: I would study even if you think you don’t need to. I mean, if you’ve made it this far do you really want to see how close you can scrape by? Or do you want to pull out all the stops and do everything in your power to make it happen? I definitely over prepared, but it worked for me. Good luck to all who are testing.
Does seem like in a lot of these posts the feeling is, “what’s the bare minimum to get hired?” Might not be the intent at all, but if you’re WANTING to get hired anywhere;
Prepare as much as possible.
Have a personality.
Dress nice.
Especially with the majors there’s cookie cutter way in. Just know your job, be nice, confident, and humble. Wear a suit. I’m so confused how this is rehashed with every opening.

DispatcherSam

NOTAMed OTS
Does seem like in a lot of these posts the feeling is, “what’s the bare minimum to get hired?” Might not be the intent at all, but if you’re WANTING to get hired anywhere;
Have a personality.
Dress nice.
Especially with the majors there’s cookie cutter way in. Just know your job, be nice, confident, and humble. Wear a suit. I’m so confused how this is rehashed with every opening.
Yeah, you’ve got to stand out against a whole slew of others with mostly the same qualifications. If you want it enough, go above and beyond.

derriko

Does anyone think there is possibly a second round of testing invites coming out or are my hopes in vain?

Still at received submission.

manniax

Well-met in the Ka-tet
Have a personality.
Dress nice.
My original point was just that, since your first day at Southwest is just filling out the application and then taking the test, you don't have to go to extremes, dressing up for it. I was told by the HR person on the phone (incorrectly as it turned out) that they might interview the same day as the testing, and that apparently never happens according to what I experienced and what WN employees have said here. So, while I wouldn't wear jeans and a t-shirt to the testing, I think you'd be fine with Dockers/khakis and a polo shirt, and save the suit for the interview itself, if you pass the test and get called back for an interview.

CRJ200NEO

My original point was just that, since your first day at Southwest is just filling out the application and then taking the test, you don't have to go to extremes, dressing up for it. I was told by the HR person on the phone (incorrectly as it turned out) that they might interview the same day as the testing, and that apparently never happens according to what I experienced and what WN employees have said here. So, while I wouldn't wear jeans and a t-shirt to the testing, I think you'd be fine with Dockers/khakis and a polo shirt, and save the suit for the interview itself, if you pass the test and get called back for an interview.

When you mention filling out the application the first day... Are applicants going to be expected to know their whole 10 year work/address/record history on test day as well? If so, that would involve some prep to get the dates right.

lionrock

When you mention filling out the application the first day... Are applicants going to be expected to know their whole 10 year work/address/record history on test day as well? If so, that would involve some prep to get the dates right.
There is no application to fill out when you come in for the test; at least that's how it was last year. You do all that, including the fingerprint collection, when you get invited for the in-person interview. The first portion last year was just a written test and that was it.