SW effect coming to Hawaii

Kingairer

SW announced yesterday that they will definitely, probably, service Hawaii. They also said they are also looking to serve intra Hawaii. Mainlanders can finally get to Hawaii some other way than by cruise liner. I assume they'll be successful since they haven't hit any speedbumps anywhere else in their time. discuss.

Cptnchia

Dissatisfied Customer
The “Southwest Effect.” Is that what they called it when ticket prices actually went up in ATL because AirTran was able to operate cheaper than SWA?

BobDDuck

Island Bus Driver
How could it not shake up the market when the largest domestic operator decides to enter?
Transpac doesn't exactly work the same way Washington Center does, and the Hawaii DOT (who runs the airports) is a huge disaster. It's a big deal for SWA ff members. That's about it.

Baronman

Transpac doesn't exactly work the same way Washington Center does, and the Hawaii DOT (who runs the airports) is a huge disaster. It's a big deal for SWA ff members. That's about it.
When I'm buying a ticket I don't really care or know what a transpac is. Takeoff, head West, talk to whoever you have to talk to.....

Hawaii DOT a huge disaster....meaning it should effect all airlines across the board.

BobDDuck

Island Bus Driver
When I'm buying a ticket I don't really care or know what a transpac is. Takeoff, head West, talk to whoever you have to talk to.....

Hawaii DOT a huge disaster....meaning it should effect all airlines across the board.
Totally missed my point. Southwest's operation depends on taxiing umm... quickly, getting shortcuts, flying fast, quick turns and the like. All those things don't happen with transpac ops and the way the dot runs the airports. Sure, a passenger may not see that first hand, but they will sure feel the effects and the costs of it.

Baronman

Totally missed my point. Southwest's operation depends on taxiing umm... quickly, getting shortcuts, flying fast, quick turns and the like. All those things don't happen with transpac ops and the way the dot runs the airports. Sure, a passenger may not see that first hand, but they will sure feel the effects and the costs of it.
I wouldn’t go so far as to say their operation depends on taxiing fast. The implication being that if they can’t taxi fast they’ll be unsuccessful. How much time really do you save taxiing a mile at 25kts vs 15kts. Not that much. Shortcuts? Who doesn’t get shortcuts now and again? Not that big a deal.

grkero

fer yer health
I wouldn’t go so far as to say their operation depends on taxiing fast. The implication being that if they can’t taxi fast they’ll be unsuccessful. How much time really do you save taxiing a mile at 25kts vs 15kts. Not that much. Shortcuts? Who doesn’t get shortcuts now and again? Not that big a deal.
It’s more realistic to compare 55 kts vs 15 kts. :D

A Life Aloft

Last edited: