Sukhoi Superjet lands on fire, apparently...

Murdoughnut

Well sized member
Latest pax video from outside the a/c seems to show two FAs walking with pax away from the wreckage. No judgment - it’s not like I expect them to wait it out in the plane - it was just odd to see.

SeanD

I’d imagine people would take even more time trying to get the bin open if it doesn’t open then they try it the first time and just make the problem worse.
Not if they installed razor blades on the latch that would activate as soon as it locks during an evac.

BigZ

Yeah. I very eagerly want to know what happened that resulted in the bounce, if they had a control issue or some sort of massive avionics failure.
SSJ inherited its controls from Le Bus.
I'd imagine their direct law flying should be similar to an extent.
How much time is typically dedicated to direct law flying in the sim?
Is it that different?

Autothrust Blue

"Duuuuuude."
SSJ inherited its controls from Le Bus.
I'd imagine their direct law flying should be similar to an extent.
How much time is typically dedicated to direct law flying in the sim?
Is it that different?
I’d call it controllable but unpleasant for prolonged periods. Our only real prolonged direct law experience here is with a jammed stabilizer (G+Y hydraulic failure, what a fun time) and you miss the ability to trim in a hurry. Other than that, I think we do a landing stall in direct law but that’s very brief. If you can trim the stab it’s not really a big deal. If not it merely sucks.

I think the only thing that will take you from normal to direct without a stop at alternate is a triple IR failure (? Dunno, not required to know, and not getting the books out tonight so it’ll have to keep).

BigZ

I’d call it controllable but unpleasant for prolonged periods. Our only real prolonged direct law experience here is with a jammed stabilizer (G+Y hydraulic failure, what a fun time) and you miss the ability to trim in a hurry. Other than that, I think we do a landing stall in direct law but that’s very brief. If you can trim the stab it’s not really a big deal. If not it merely sucks.

I think the only thing that will take you from normal to direct without a stop at alternate is a triple IR failure (? Dunno, not required to know, and not getting the books out tonight so it’ll have to keep).
I saw a SSJ list somewhere, triple something or the other failure was listed as the most likely, if not very probable, cause.
I read SSJ drivers describe the direct law flying as very twitchy and hard to be precise with.
Either way there's a piece of paper being prepared somewhere that's gonna say there wasnt enough of it in the sim

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun
I saw a SSJ list somewhere, triple something or the other failure was listed as the most likely, if not very probable, cause.
I read SSJ drivers describe the direct law flying as very twitchy and hard to be precise with.
Either way there's a piece of paper being prepared somewhere that's gonna say there wasnt enough of it in the sim
Or you know that Sukhoi screwed the pooch on their lightning certs.

BigZ

Read comments of the dudefrom row 12.
Thought about translating, but too long and long day tomorrow
Basically according to him
- bags weren't a factor, didn't slow anyone down
- isle wasn't blocked. One woman fell, was picked up right away
- there was no stampede
- fire was intense. His windows (left side, right was worse) melted before the plane stopped
- had to get down on all four then crawl when he felt he was fainting due to smoke and fumes
- zero visibility
- he was the last one to come out on his own. Him, a FA and some dude pulled three more ppl from behind the galley bulkhead and sent them down the slide before flames started entering the galley area
- says the landing gear absorbed the hit on landing, did not feel extreme at all inside
- he didn't think the firefighters were late. Thinks there was no saving anyone from the back due to smoke/fumes and heat. Says he thinks the people up front that didn't get up from their seats must have inhaled the smoke.
- the dude from row 18 that survived was only able to do so because he bolted forward after the first bounce

Dunno what the load factor at touchdown was, but maybe the structure was deficient too?

Though typically the ex-commies build some stout airplanes.
Yeah, they do. ... with usually far above average aerodynamics. I've often heard it said that the perfect airplane would be a Russian airframe with American engines/electronics.