Sukhoi Superjet lands on fire, apparently...

Cherokee_Cruiser

Anonymous investigators not authorized to speak to media saying they’re looking at pilot error. That the bounce we see on video wasn’t the only bounce. There were apparently three separate bounces and in all cases the pilots pushed the nose down and bounced again into the air. @GypsyPilot we we were just discussing this tendency. The last touchdown was hard enough to send the gear struts through the wing tanks and leak/ignite fuel. Also saying the pilots didn’t secure the engine(s) during evacuation.

wayway8

First post ever on this forum. My best friend in the world was the sole American on this flight. He was the nicest and most caring person I ever met and was on his way to guide fly fishing tours in Murmansk, living his dream right up until the very end. I'm glad the lucky few who escaped were able to get their carry on bags on the way out.
Sorry to hear about your friend. I hope you can find peace that he was chasing his dream.

BigZ

I’ve seen the movie. Way too high of a drug requirement to be a truly enjoyable pastime for a flying professional.

Ohhh. Wait. :)
I've seen them.
Authentic legendary trainspotters of the Great Britain.
They look just like the regular people, but show up at the train stations, pull out their little notepads, flip through them, and write down the train engine number if it so happened they haven't seen that particular one before.
Fascinating stuff.

Oxman

Again...throat punches are allowable.

survivor of the Russian Aeroflot crash says God is the 'judge' of passengers who stopped to grab luggage as 41 died in the blaze

A video from the aftermath of the deadly Russian plane crash on Sunday shows some passengers fleeing the scene while toting their luggage, raising questions about whether grabbing their bags wasted precious time for others to escape.

The Aeroflot jet made an emergency landing in Moscow while it was still heavy with fuel and immediately ignited, sending flames ripping through the airliner's fuselage and killing 41 of the 78 people aboard, The Associated Press reported Tuesday.

One survivor, Mikhail Savchenko, posted footage on Facebook of the plane's burning wreckage and said he didn't know what to make of his fellow passengers' actions.

He asked people not to judge them too harshly, as they may not have been thinking clearly amid the chaos.
"I do not know what to say about people who ran out with bags," he wrote in Russian, according to the AP's translation. "God is their judge."

BigZ

Again...throat punches are allowable.

survivor of the Russian Aeroflot crash says God is the 'judge' of passengers who stopped to grab luggage as 41 died in the blaze

A video from the aftermath of the deadly Russian plane crash on Sunday shows some passengers fleeing the scene while toting their luggage, raising questions about whether grabbing their bags wasted precious time for others to escape.

The Aeroflot jet made an emergency landing in Moscow while it was still heavy with fuel and immediately ignited, sending flames ripping through the airliner's fuselage and killing 41 of the 78 people aboard, The Associated Press reported Tuesday.

One survivor, Mikhail Savchenko, posted footage on Facebook of the plane's burning wreckage and said he didn't know what to make of his fellow passengers' actions.

He asked people not to judge them too harshly, as they may not have been thinking clearly amid the chaos.
"I do not know what to say about people who ran out with bags," he wrote in Russian, according to the AP's translation. "God is their judge."
Official investigation word is that the delays due to bags claim was looked into and was found unsubstantiated. The back rows never unfastened their seat belts.

pianokeys

MEL NO MUFFS
Implying I’m taken seriously anyway, but fine:
- locking the bins may preclude access to fight a fire
- locking the bins may preclude someone from putting things away in a timely fashion
- it’s another thing to break and we don’t need more stuff in back that breaks
- above mentioned behavior as well
I know its a little late since, ya know, you posted this last week but I have another addition:

- aircraft cant be dispatched with the bin locker inop

Autothrust Blue

"I'll take your case."
Official investigation word is that the delays due to bags claim was looked into and was found unsubstantiated. The back rows never unfastened their seat belts.
Yeah, that’s awkward. And from watching the video I’m not hugely surprised by that determination. Might also be awkward if a door was opened allowing the fire into the pressure vessel too, but we’ll see.

Derg

Cap, Roci
Staff member
Still irresponsible at this point. The over arching message should be, “Leave your stuff, GTFO”, period, end of statement.

It’s tantamount to saying “the deceased had his seatbelt on, so it really didn’t matter” where people will read “seatbelts don’t matter”

BigZ

Factual is out
155-160 kts on approach (book number was 155)

1100-900 ft 5x Predictive Windshear Warnings.

260 ft started sinking below glide

180 ft got TAWS glideslope

180-40 ft added thrust to correct

40 ft over the threshold 164 kias

16 ft 170 kias

After adding thrust at 180ft CA pushed and pulled the sidestick, changing pitch in the +6/-2° range (doesnt say so, but the word is to judge the control response)

First touchdown was at 3000 ft from the threshold at 158 kts with 2.55Gs with subsequent bounce to 6 ft.

Spoilers do not deploy automatically in direct law, weren't manually deployed.

2 seconds later second touchdown occured at 155 kias, nose gear first, with 5.85Gs, resulting in a bounce to 18 ft

third touchdown was at 140 kias and at least 5Gs, followed by structural failure, fuel leak and fire.

aft baggage compartment fire alarm went off at 100 kts, then apu fire alarm etc
it was noted that the engines kept running until the recording stops a minute later.