Sukhoi Superjet lands on fire, apparently...

sweeps

Undercarriage Acuator
I’ve watched a couple video clips from different angles and showing the evac and I can’t believe that there were no crash trucks there spraying when it was on fire before it landed. Crazy that it wasn’t worse than it was. Seeing 2 dead now on the news

Autothrust Blue

"I'll take your case."
I’ve watched a couple video clips from different angles and showing the evac and I can’t believe that there were no crash trucks there spraying when it was on fire before it landed. Crazy that it wasn’t worse than it was. Seeing 2 dead now on the news
If you're referring to foaming the runway, that's proven to be of dubious effectiveness.

Though it does seem that nobody from the local airport fire brigade was too terribly interested.

sweeps

Undercarriage Acuator
If you're referring to foaming the runway, that's proven to be of dubious effectiveness.

Though it does seem that nobody from the local airport fire brigade was too terribly interested.
No I’m talking about putting foam on the fire when the plane is stopped. As in they had advance notice to be ready and waiting.

SeanD

I noticed that too. There was nothing waiting at all and apparently they reported that they were on fire. They must have a lot of faith in their evac process. Friggin Russians.

sweeps

Undercarriage Acuator
Looking at the flight track, that go around/loop back added 10 minutes. Could have made the difference.
Woah... didn’t look like they had any altitude to lose either. Man... between that and feb painfully slow fire response that appears in the videos that’s pretty bad.

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member

Foaming a runway doesn't hurt, but 1. Its designed for a wheels-up landing......it doesn't do much for an aircraft on its landing gear, 2. The type of foam that was used in runway foaming, protein foam, which is more viscous than your AFFF foams, isn't used anymore, and 3. The foam application vehicles for runway foaming aren't in the inventory anymore. The big drawbacks to runway foaming even for gear up landings, was that it took a long time to apply. Its only job is to contain fuel from ruptured fuel tanks from a fuselage slide on the runway. Quite often, the strip that was put down would either be missed entirely by the landing aircraft, or only a portion of it would be utilized from where the aircraft touched down and slid to a stop. So it wasn't so much that it was inefffctive, as it was there were a few drawbacks to its being able to have any effectiveness, along with modern foams being incompatible for that.

Back in my early days, we still had the F-6 and F-7 foam tenders in inventory and were trained in the operation of same, but their use was minimal for runway foaming and they were primarily used as backup high-volume crash trucks before their retirement. Ironically, I still have both on my military drivers license qualification, bottom-left, "Semi-trailer, runway foamer, 2500 gallon" (F-7).

image.jpeg

Last edited:

BigZ

Alternate splaining that's getting traction
- got zapped by a lightning
- lost comms and the thing went into direct law, possibly lost flaps and such
- fire was a result from the subsequent hard landing, when the tanks ruptured

Autothrust Blue

"I'll take your case."
Alternate splaining that's getting traction
- got zapped by a lightning
- lost comms and the thing went into direct law, possibly lost flaps and such