Suck it, you 121 hacks

Richman

My one and only attempt at a corporate job was during the dark times. As it happened, a public owned utility was looking for a dual rated pilot within quals that loosely matched mine and the domicile wasn’t anywhere highly objectionable.

Made it all the way down to the final pick, checked all the boxes, jumped all the hoops....and the job went to someone’s nephew that wasn’t even dual qualed.

Yea me, and that taught me all I needed to know about corporate aviation.

Kingairer

'Tiger Team' Member
My one and only attempt at a corporate job was during the dark times. As it happened, a public owned utility was looking for a dual rated pilot within quals that loosely matched mine and the domicile wasn’t anywhere highly objectionable.

Made it all the way down to the final pick, checked all the boxes, jumped all the hoops....and the job went to someone’s nephew that wasn’t even dual qualed.

"Just keep doing what you're doing"

gne in prog

so you were upset 121 isn’t the only place networking helps you get a job?

Max Power

True story.

Gulfstream owner made certain we always had donuts onboard for him during his typically less than 200nm, 1 passenger transits between X and Y. We usually bought a dozen, 'cause 1 cost $1.50 and a dozen cost $4.50. He usually ate between 1/2 and 1.

One day, he forgets something on the aircraft and comes back to the ramp to collect it just in time to see his pilot handing the 11 remaining donuts to the rampers. Owner Dude pitches an epic hissy fit, berating that pilot for giving away his donuts that he paid for.

Certain rich dudes...

??!!??

//end rant
The owner of the company I flew for had “big fish, small pond “ syndrome. He believed he was a supreme job creator and why would you ever leave? He is the Donald Trump of West Mifflin, not as rich, but just as much narcissism and delusion. I redid an old back injury (at work)right after he hired me and he was incensed that I was injured, I stupidly didn’t even file workmans comp. A good friend, who was in the inner circle, had to convince him that I was legit hurt and not trying to swindle him. I taught at his flight school for 2.5 years and never had a complaint or issue from anyone, why would I fake a back injury of all things?

He put me on day rate, as opposed to my original piddling salary, because I dare ask (just ask)for a day off to travel with my wife and newborn twins to visit family in Northern VA. Two days max, with nothing planned over the 4th of July. He put me on day rate and didn’t fly me for 3 months. I tried to call, email, sent a written letter to discuss the situation and he never responded to any of it. I asked the chief pilot how to fix the situation and he said “Well, you could get another job and not tell him and never answer your BlackBerry until your contract runs out”. Finally, the assistant chief pilot, a great guy, must have said something, possibly that he couldn’t keep screwing me over or I might seek legal action. He put me back on salary. I should have still taken legal action.

But I didn’t want any of that, I just wanted to work. Besides the prick who ran the operation and the on-demand life, it wasn’t a bad flying gig in Pittsburgh, something rare. I still have friends there who tell me it’s better, but since the bastard fired me (another long story)I can never go back. And now it’s a box I have to tick for any other resume I fill out. Once I explain how the situation was there, it’s not a big deal. But the computer algorithm doesn’t always give you that chance when job shopping.

Edit: So yeah, I've largely written off 91/135 as a career choice. I reaaallllyyy hope I don't sit at my current regional for the rest of my career, but since I sit number 32 out of 450 now, I could do way worse all things considered.

Last edited:

BigZ

Flying big body private jets is essentially THE lifestyle everyone wants when they learn to fly. Cool celebrities - paid to drink on a beach - exploring on layovers - fun flight attendants - actually flying the airplane etc
Naaaaah, not even remotely close.
You can keep that.
I had a fun run in 91/135, but I enjoy being a regional puke so much more.

Stone Cold

Yep. It’s why I call them the unicorn job.

I’ve heard of them. But I’ve never seen one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had as close as it gets... Minus having to commute 5,000 miles to work. Oh and the Russian idiots I flew with. And the owner selling the plane out from under us. And...

At least I was paid well with decent time off. It's as close as I've seen to the unicorn job.

Boris Badenov

Someone should definitely do *something*, Captain!
You’d better be healthily over 5’9 if you’re talking smack, son! :)
5'10 and 3/7ths (verified by micrometer, but who's counting), although a surprising amount is in my giant bobble-head. And I don't think anyone has ever accused me of being healthy. :/

Boris Badenov

Someone should definitely do *something*, Captain!
Naaaaah, not even remotely close.
You can keep that.
I had a fun run in 91/135, but I enjoy being a regional puke so much more.
Similar, except you regional guys work too much. I've found my spirit animal at Omni, since until recently I had more guys under me on the seniority list than hours in the airplane (true story). It does make going to work a little daunting, since I'm never sure whether or not I remember wtf I'm doing, but on the ~20 days/month I'm averaging off, this doesn't come up, for some reason. The only problem is that I'm now, hilariously, after less than a year, eligible for upgrade (by the numbers), and I'm for damned sure not ready to even think about that. I finally knuckled under and bid a real line for December so I can learn how to actually fly the stupid thing.

But I digress. The point is, yeah, I don't choose my hotels, and there's a lot of watching the clock tick down, but I couldn't care less about ever meeting another Celebrity to tell stories about (got a bank of those), and as long as I do my job with a modicum of competence, NOTHING is My Problem. Do I miss "actually flying"? Yes, I do. And when I get my poop together and upgrade, I'll buy a plane...problem: SOLVED.

Crockrocket94

The owner of the company I flew for had “big fish, small pond “ syndrome. He believed he was a supreme job creator and why would you ever leave? He is the Donald Trump of West Mifflin, not as rich, but just as much narcissism and delusion. I redid an old back injury (at work)right after he hired me and he was incensed that I was injured, I stupidly didn’t even file workmans comp. A good friend, who was in the inner circle, had to convince him that I was legit hurt and not trying to swindle him. I taught at his flight school for 2.5 years and never had a complaint or issue from anyone, why would I fake a back injury of all things?

He put me on day rate, as opposed to my original piddling salary, because I dare ask (just ask)for a day off to travel with my wife and newborn twins to visit family in Northern VA. Two days max, with nothing planned over the 4th of July. He put me on day rate and didn’t fly me for 3 months. I tried to call, email, sent a written letter to discuss the situation and he never responded to any of it. I asked the chief pilot how to fix the situation and he said “Well, you could get another job and not tell him and never answer your BlackBerry until your contract runs out”. Finally, the assistant chief pilot, a great guy, must have said something, possibly that he couldn’t keep screwing me over or I might seek legal action. He put me back on salary. I should have still taken legal action.

But I didn’t want any of that, I just wanted to work. Besides the prick who ran the operation and the on-demand life, it wasn’t a bad flying gig in Pittsburgh, something rare. I still have friends there who tell me it’s better, but since the bastard fired me (another long story)I can never go back. And now it’s a box I have to tick for any other resume I fill out. Once I explain how the situation was there, it’s not a big deal. But the computer algorithm doesn’t always give you that chance when job shopping.

Edit: So yeah, I've largely written off 91/135 as a career choice. I reaaallllyyy hope I don't sit at my current regional for the rest of my career, but since I sit number 32 out of 450 now, I could do way worse all things considered.

Sounds like ol Corporate Scare... and I know the stories. I worked in LBE for years...

CFIT99

I'm probably commenting ironically...
I had as close as it gets... Minus having to commute 5,000 miles to work. Oh and the Russian idiots I flew with. And the owner selling the plane out from under us. And...

At least I was paid well with decent time off. It's as close as I've seen to the unicorn job.
my buddy flies a Global for 2 families (both industrial era wealthy) makes about 200k with plenty of tips (last trip DAL- AMS was tipped 15k for a 5 day trip) flies maybe 6-8 days month(worked only 93 days this year) knows his trips weeks in advance, the last few years hasn't flown almost the entire month of December. Was thinking about the airlines so they gave him a 50K yearly bonus to offset any lost retirement income he would have got. He's about 50.....was still thinking of going back to 121.....I TOLD HIM HE WAS OUT OF F********** MIND!

That's the best unicorn job I've ever seen!