Suck it, you 121 hacks

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun
my parents retired a few years ago and moved to Virginia. My dad spends most of his time on the Appalachian Trail now. He volunteers with a local trail group that does trail maintenance and search and rescue. I’d say he’s enjoying it, he’s gone full Forest Wizard

View attachment 50599
I’m not saying your dad is Gandalf, but I’m pretty sure I’ve seen him fighting a balrog.

AAPalmTree

I was thinking about all this WB/getting old crap before reading the past few pages. I’m thinking about bidding over to the 787 so it’s been on my mind. I flew a few trips with our #1 dude in base before he retired. He was a 777CA that jumped ship to the 737. Crazy, yes, until you hear his reasoning. Sure he’s Uber senior but his logic was sound. He flew 9 turns a month for about 70 hours. That’s about 20k a month and every night at home. He could pick up one 3 day and boost the pay to 25k for the month. I have some “career boxes” to check WB, WB CA, work less, meet Derg, find out what “black guy stuff” really is, etc. But staying healthy and especially living a while after retirement is starting hit my radar. The money is hard to turn your back on.. I hope the “The living a while/good life” after retirement is what really drives my decision making process.

jtrain609

Uniting the black vote.
I was thinking about all this WB/getting old crap before reading the past few pages. I’m thinking about bidding over to the 787 so it’s been on my mind. I flew a few trips with our #1 dude in base before he retired. He was a 777CA that jumped ship to the 737. Crazy, yes, until you hear his reasoning. Sure he’s Uber senior but his logic was sound. He flew 9 turns a month for about 70 hours. That’s about 20k a month and every night at home. He could pick up one 3 day and boost the pay to 25k for the month. I have some “career boxes” to check WB, WB CA, work less, meet Derg, find out what “black guy stuff” really is, etc. But staying healthy and especially living a while after retirement is starting hit my radar. The money is hard to turn your back on.. I hope the “The living a while/good life” after retirement is what really drives my decision making process.
Yo dawg, you can't be taught what doing black guy stuff is. It's talent, you can't teach that.

Bob Ridpath

Pit Bull love
Out of curiosity, what do you do for health care and how much does it cost? That’s my biggest concern for retirement.
Medicare and a Supplemental (Rx, Vision/Dental, Copay) @ $194 month (no dependents, which likely makes a difference). Relatively new car (2017) is paid off. Only other regular bills are rent/electric/cell/bundled Internet-TV, and car insurance. I eat, of course, and care well for my pups.

Went from driving some 400 miles weekly on the work commute (95 miles on the RT) to possibly 30. No wanderlust in my soul these days (38 States - including AK; England, Scotland, France and Germany in days of yore). Would rather die than become a snowbird. I still enjoy the snow and cold of Winter. Dinner out 4Xs monthly, twice with my boys’ families and twice with old work friends. Plenty to do around the property for upkeep and I write, enjoy cooking, read and occasionally fish during warmer months. Sometimes I just sit on the porch with the dogs and watch the wooded world around me, a fine drink in hand.

Haven’t been bored a single moment, don’t miss being invited into the crisis of others, and find the money is enough for my modest needs.

I think it’s different for everyone and needs to be planned accordingly.

MikeOH58

I flew large cabin and it was the same old. SkyWest didn’t pay as much but at least they treated me like a professional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
didn’t you fly a falcon 50 or a 900b or something like that? If so I’m not surprised of your crummy experience. I expect GIV’s, old Falcons and Challengers to typically be a less awesome job.

T/O w/FSII

didn’t you fly a falcon 50 or a 900b or something like that? If so I’m not surprised of your crummy experience. I expect GIV’s, old Falcons and Challengers to typically be a less awesome job.
Yea, those aren’t large cabin.

I’m happy to report from the front end of a big Gulfstream, me and my Global and BBJ coworkers are fairly happy part 135/91.

Even with that said - I’m looking to retire from a major if I ever grow up. For now I’m riding the money/gravy train enjoying the life.

Flying big body private jets is essentially THE lifestyle everyone wants when they learn to fly. Cool celebrities - paid to drink on a beach - exploring on layovers - fun flight attendants - actually flying the airplane etc

It’s all the lack of benefits that make you realize you can’t easily retire with a • 401k and a schedule that is sometimes non existent so good luck with the wife/gf/your choice.

jtrain609

Uniting the black vote.
As long as you guys keep in mind that the G650 wasn’t on the market when I secured my 900 job. And the 7X probably had less than 20 models out and about...

Times change. So do flight departments and circumstances.

May the odds be in your favor.

BUT, BUT, BUT, BUT, MY FRIEND FROM HIGH SCHOOL WHO KNOWS A GUY WHO'S DATING A GIRL WHO TALKED TO THE JANITOR FOR THIS REALLY RICH FAMILY, AND HE SAID THE PILOTS HAVE IT MADE!!!!!

That's about how often those kinds of jobs roll around. It's not that they don't exist, it's that you'll never find one.

Crop Duster

E pluribus unum
gonna need some stories plz.
True story.

Gulfstream owner made certain we always had donuts onboard for him during his typically less than 200nm, 1 passenger transits between X and Y. We usually bought a dozen, 'cause 1 cost $1.50 and a dozen cost $4.50. He usually ate between 1/2 and 1.

One day, he forgets something on the aircraft and comes back to the ramp to collect it just in time to see his pilot handing the 11 remaining donuts to the rampers. Owner Dude pitches an epic hissy fit, berating that pilot for giving away his donuts that he paid for.

Certain rich dudes...

??!!??

//end rant

BEEF SUPREME

BUT, BUT, BUT, BUT, MY FRIEND FROM HIGH SCHOOL WHO KNOWS A GUY WHO'S DATING A GIRL WHO TALKED TO THE JANITOR FOR THIS REALLY RICH FAMILY, AND HE SAID THE PILOTS HAVE IT MADE!!!!!

That's about how often those kinds of jobs roll around. It's not that they don't exist, it's that you'll never find one.
Yep. It’s why I call them the unicorn job.

I’ve heard of them. But I’ve never seen one.

KLB

*Knock on wood*

My situation is very good right now.

The thing is...corporate aviation is fickle. This not the first grear corporate gig I've had. I know how quickly it can be gone and I'm hustling flying multi leg days with a coast to coast at the end, 10hrs rest, do it all over again where you're just flying under 10 in 24, and you all doing it over and over multiple days in the row. Those are the gigs on this side that suck.

There are those "special" aircraft owners. But most are fantastic people to work for...