Suck it, you 121 hacks

Autothrust Blue

"Are you out of your mind, Ryan?”
My dad has 8 more years at SJI. He thought about early retirement but the more he thinks about it, he’ll probably stay until 65. He flew 200 hours in 2018, not sure what he did this year but it definitely wasn’t more than 400, bids reserve in base, and picks up occasional green slips. He’s already barely working so why retire early, lose out of pay, degraded non rev benefits, etc.
F-- no, full pay to the last day, especially considering "ain't no pension no' mo."

Derg

Cap, Roci
Staff member
Which is amazingly awesome, however leaving seven figures to your SO, and actually enjoying life with maybe high six figures while still able to enjoy it, are two totally separate things.

Money is great, until you're dead from working your entire life for it.
This is true. Airline pilots don’t last long and if you work THAT hard, chances are you’re going to be pretty close to death when you retire. IF you’re able to retire.

live life now, folks.

A80TRACON

This is true. Airline pilots (ATC) don’t last long and if you work THAT hard, chances are you’re going to be pretty close to death when you retire. IF you’re able to retire.

live life now, folks.
Key takeaway, money isn't everything

I don't know if the same holds true with aviation, as the stress and stressors on the body are more significant. But work typically keeps us alive, having a reason to get out of bed every morning. It gives us drive and purpose.

In the non-aviation world people who stagnate post retirement also die shortly after retirement too. From a sedimentary lifestyle. Stay active folks, stay healthy. Moreso post retirement. Don't just post up in front of the television and rot in front of it in your golden years.

Cherokee_Cruiser

My dad has 8 more years at SJI. He thought about early retirement but the more he thinks about it, he’ll probably stay until 65. He flew 200 hours in 2018, not sure what he did this year but it definitely wasn’t more than 400, bids reserve in base, and picks up occasional green slips. He’s already barely working so why retire early, lose out of pay, degraded non rev benefits, etc.
Of course he'll stay on til 65. Pilots are liars kidding themselves for the most part when it comes to retirement. They all say they'll punch out before 65, but the reasons you just wrote is exactly why they stay on: already barely working, lose out on pay, super senior, work when they want and how little they want, etc.

BEEF SUPREME

Of course he'll stay on til 65. Pilots are liars kidding themselves for the most part when it comes to retirement. They all say they'll punch out before 65, but the reasons you just wrote is exactly why they stay on: already barely working, lose out on pay, super senior, work when they want and how little they want, etc.
So you're saying super seniority at an airline is like a retirement job? ;)

Cherokee_Cruiser

So you're saying super seniority at an airline is like a retirement job? ;)
Yes it is.

Had an AA JSer hired in 1998 who is willingly a senior widebody FO instead of a 320/737 CA. Dreamliner, flies 3 trips a month that were 3 days LAX-PVG (or was it HKG). 9 days of work, 21-22 days off.

Oh the horror, quick let me retire from making $250k having 21-22 days off to 30-31 days off making $0! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

BEEF SUPREME

Yes it is.

Had an AA JSer hired in 1998 who is willingly a senior widebody FO instead of a 320/737 CA. Dreamliner, flies 3 trips a month that were 3 days LAX-PVG (or was it HKG). 9 days of work, 21-22 days off.

Oh the horror, quick let me retire from making $250k having 21-22 days off to 30-31 days off! :rolleyes:
If you bring healthy food and force yourself to work out at the hotel it's not too bad on your health. The longhaul stuff and backside of the clock. I think that could kill you pretty fast...