Suck it, you 121 hacks

Richman

That's "Lord Garth" to you
I will pay whatever crazy amount of $$$ to have someone come fix my air conditioning at 2 am. It’s a state of emergency if your A/C goes out anytime, even in January.
True, which is why smart people keep one of those portable room air conditioners stashed in the garage for just such an event. They're just big enough to cool one room...it makes a citadel of habitability.

As far as A/C repair, no one has the parts, ever. Even the big, name brand, top dollar shops. They all come from a central warehouse, which closes promptly at 4pm (3pm on Fridays). Unless its something stupid simple, like a thermostat (always keep a spare), the drip pan fills up or a line breaks and they can solder it up and refill you, it's at least a 72 hour wait to get it fixed.

“Well, I’ll just go get parts myself”. Good idea, but all the parts places in the area “sell to the profession only”. Unless you have a phony business name, sell a less than precise account of why you need the parts, or pay cash, you’re out of luck.

You can get parts off the interwebz, but it’ll take 72 hours to get them anyway, so nothing gained.

Jordan93

Buddy of mine picked up a 5 day green slip trip yesterday on the minibus (CA) worth $21K. Almost makes me want to unretire.
My dad has 8 more years at SJI. He thought about early retirement but the more he thinks about it, he’ll probably stay until 65. He flew 200 hours in 2018, not sure what he did this year but it definitely wasn’t more than 400, bids reserve in base, and picks up occasional green slips. He’s already barely working so why retire early, lose out of pay, degraded non rev benefits, etc.

Kingairer

'Tiger Team' Member
My dad has 8 more years at SJI. He thought about early retirement but the more he thinks about it, he’ll probably stay until 65. He flew 200 hours in 2018, not sure what he did this year but it definitely wasn’t more than 400, bids reserve in base, and picks up occasional green slips. He’s already barely working so why retire early, lose out of pay, degraded non rev benefits, etc.
Many talk about leaving early, very few actually do.

Springer

All good points especially since the pay has increased 100% in the last 11 yrs vs a 40% decrease in my last 7 yrs. Your dad will know when it is time. 59 was right for me.

A80TRACON

Buddy of mine picked up a 5 day green slip trip yesterday on the minibus (CA) worth $21K. Almost makes me want to unretire.
He thought about early retirement but the more he thinks about it, he’ll probably stay until 65
Or, you could retire as early as possible, and enjoy life.

65, sorry, you're either paying for a third wife or another boat. Go ASAP and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

You'll never regret it.

(Just my 2 drunken, free bottle of Tito's Vodka, cents)

Derg

New Arizona, Il Duce/Warlord
Staff member
There’s a few guys on the 350 that apparently broke seven figures.

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
Which is amazingly awesome, however leaving seven figures to your SO [while he/she enjoys it with someone else], and actually enjoying life with maybe high six figures while still able to enjoy it, are two totally separate things.

Money is great, until you're dead from working your entire life for it.
minor modification in brackets above. But agreed....work to live, don’t live to work.

Supposedly, there’s rumor that many airline pilots die within a few years or retiring, I don’t know whether that’s true or not. Or whether it’s true in other professions. But if it is, even more incentive to retire as early as possible and enjoy life on your own terms.

z987k

minor modification in brackets above. But agreed....work to live, don’t live to work.

Supposedly, there’s rumor that many airline pilots die within a few years or retiring, I don’t know whether that’s true or not. Or whether it’s true in other professions. But if it is, even more incentive to retire as early as possible and enjoy life on your own terms.
There was a study on it back in like 2000. Really old data at this point, but it showed a strong correlation between retiring early and living a lot longer.

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
There was a study on it back in like 2000. Really old data at this point, but it showed a strong correlation between retiring early and living a lot longer.
That’s very interesting indeed. Agreed, even more incentive to retire as early as reasonably possible.

knot4u

Repeat Offender

I don't think that rumor necessarily is universal. The one whose name is verboten had a long career, retired from the airline and continued for quite a while in the 135/91 world. As far as I know he's been selling off assets, his name might be on the building but he doesn't own the company anymore.

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun
I don't think that rumor necessarily is universal. The one whose name is verboten had a long career, retired from the airline and continued for quite a while in the 135/91 world. As far as I know he's been selling off assets, his name might be on the building but he doesn't own the company anymore.
Fairly sure that’s because he stashed bits of his soul in airplanes and FBOs to ensure immortality.