Suck it, you 121 hacks

ppragman

FLIPY FLAPS!
Well being an airline pilot is where the money's at, so there's that.
I mean it is and it isn't.

When I got started in this stuff, I couldn't afford to take a shot at the 121 world. Honestly, I couldn't afford 121 until I finally paid off my student loans and medical bills in November of this year. Like, yeah, over a 3 to 5 year timeline, 121 almost always pays better - but if you can't get past the first year... Well, what are you supposed to do?

So you slog it out. Some people like the slog, others don't

Boris Badenov

Someone should definitely do *something*, Captain!
So you slog it out. Some people like the slog, others don't
I was convinced that I would be a 91-135 lifer. Didn't have the money for multi time when I was young, and before you know it, kapow, golden handcuffs. The Not Really A Pilot Shortage More Like A Rational Supply Demand Adjustment changed all that, and I'm not at all sorry it did. But I did enjoy the slog.

ppragman

FLIPY FLAPS!
I was convinced that I would be a 91-135 lifer. Didn't have the money for multi time when I was young, and before you know it, kapow, golden handcuffs. The Not Really A Pilot Shortage More Like A Rational Supply Demand Adjustment changed all that, and I'm not at all sorry it did. But I did enjoy the slog.
Oh, I am basically totally debt free now. The shackles are off when the right opportunity presents itself. I like the kind of work I do, but I have no illusions about it - it's exactly that: work.

KLB

There are definitely some pro's to going 121. I wouldn't want to go to a regional. But mainline, major, legacy provides some things that are a bit harder to obtain at my current gig. There's "fat" money, a set schedule, and a retirement.

But I'm currently only flying 225 to 250hrs a year. So that exposure to radiation is at a minimum. There isn't anything (but my laziness) keeping me from creating an alternate source of cash flow in my spare time. The owners of the plane are awesome. I see some security and longevity (although it's never guaranteed), and the money isn't bad.

We'll see what the future holds.

Crockrocket94

Should we make a why I am never going back to charter flying again video?

91/135 list o reasons I dislikes it.
- "autonomy" (Boris lol) Having to literally make sure everything is done, did the FBO pull the jet out of the back 40? .. you know what. I can't even start the damn list. Its too long.

121>135 for me.

Cory Trevor

I had a family member that was a corporate pilot that made the transition to 121 later in life because of family reasons. I think he hated it at first, the commute across multiple time zones, reserve, making about half as much money. Now after a couple years and having a closer commute he seems to be enjoying it much more however he still believes corporate flying was the greatest job you can have as a younger single guy.

ozziecat35

4 out of 5 great lakes prefer Michigan.
I’m really lucky I got a taste of 91 jet flying shortly before going 121. I probably would have always wondered if I never flew 91. Now I know...and knowledge is power. Even at my rinky dink regional, most of the drama is self induced, so the more laid back you are, the fewer the required give a damns are. 15 months in, I’ve gotten Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years off 2 straight years.

Hubbs

I guess I'm weird. Wait, I'm definitely weird. But anyway, I miss many things about it. The relative autonomy, the out of the way destinations, interacting with the 90% of the passengers who were cool, choosing my own danged hotels, rental car everywhere, actually flying the airplane every once in a while...

That said, you couldn't drag me back with a backhoe, ho. Because at the end of the day, I am lazy, and "get in, turn left" > *
100% this. I miss it but I don't.

TWP

Sounds like he’s trying to convince himself. Was he at a regional before and it didn’t shake out for him?
He comes off as super defensive and bitter......when nobody asked....

I notice you don’t see many videos from 121 guys about why they don’t do 135 or corporate.

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun
Sounds like he’s trying to convince himself. Was he at a regional before and it didn’t shake out for him?
He comes off as super defensive and bitter......when nobody asked....

I notice you don’t see many videos from 121 guys about why they don’t do 135 or corporate.
Guys who leave airlines for 91/135 are a weird bunch. Every once in a while you run across one who made an eyes-wide-open decision to do it for some fairly legitimate personal reason (especially ones who had runs of bad luck during about 2002-2012) or other, but a lot of the time you get the sense that you’re not getting the whole story and there was a lot more going on than “well I just didn’t like it”.

Autothrust Blue

"Blakeley's face was grave."
Guys who leave airlines for 91/135 are a weird bunch. Every once in a while you run across one who made an eyes-wide-open decision to do it for some fairly legitimate personal reason (especially ones who had runs of bad luck during about 2002-2012) or other, but a lot of the time you get the sense that you’re not getting the whole story and there was a lot more going on than “well I just didn’t like it”.
Oh really? You don't say.

JDean3204

I don’t see any issue with not wanting to B-line right to the majors. Just don’t whine when you hit 64 staring at another year, meanwhile your buddy has been retired for 10 years since he got on with Delta when we was 30 and made bank for 25 years.