• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Sub Service

F9DXER

Ok here is a question that I have

You have a regional partner that does flying for you.

They can't do a flight for whatever reason.

Mainline company opts to put one of its aircrafts on that route to move the people.

So how do you file it in relation to callsign. Do you use your companies 3 letter or do you use the 3 letter of the regional that was suppose to fly it and then put OPR/xxx in the remarks section? Would this be considered a subservice and thus a supplemental operation as your company is now doing flying for another airline?

Altimeter

When we picked up flying for another regional, that regional had to cancel the flight and we used ferry flight numbers allocated to us.

It would also still be considered Domestic flying as long as both airports are Regular Airports in the Ops Spec, and Domestic.

We build an extra section and give it xxxx flight number in the number series we use for ferry flights/extra sections. It is filed under the callsign of the operating airline with the xxxx flight number. No remarks, no supplemental ops, just another flight as far as I am concerned.

Last edited:

MT

You can not file under another air carriers call sign. You must use the callsign assigned to the operating certificate, thus any sub flying on you would be as Crappedon xxxx (using your extra section range) instead of the original carriers Bentover yyyy (scheduled range)

Last edited:

F9DXER

You can not file under another air carriers call sign. You must use the callsign assigned to the operating certificate, thus any sub flying on you would be as Crappedon xxxx (using your extra section range) instead of the original carriers Bentover yyyy (scheduled range)
Yes you can, my first airline we did that a lot. Did subservice for AeroPeru, Air Afric, USA3000 and several others. Also depending on the type of military flying your company does, you may have to file a different callsign. Again if you just put OPR/XXX where XXX is the carrier that is actually operating the flight.

who'swho

Don't hesitate. Penetrate!
Yes you can, my first airline we did that a lot. Did subservice for AeroPeru, Air Afric, USA3000 and several others. Also depending on the type of military flying your company does, you may have to file a different callsign. Again if you just put OPR/XXX where XXX is the carrier that is actually operating the flight.
We use a multitude of callsigns at my current carrier. At least 5 or 6 off the top of my head. Doesn't have anything on the strip but the callsign we are using. The regional I worked at only used their own tho and would use an extra section flight number when operating for someone else. Domestic, intl, or supplemental rules are determined based on C70.

Delta Echo

I have experienced two different types of sub flying. Regional one off picking up lift the assigned regional can't complete. In that scenario the regional operating used an extra section flight number. I've also seen sub service were the contracted carrier used the call sign of the original carrier. Created a lot of confusion for ARINC as they would patch those flights to our dispatch, but we had no operational control over that flight.

The only difference I can see is at the regional your ultimately operating under a major partners ident for marketing purposes and already flying on their behalf, maybe that is why is just using and extra section number for ATC. In the second example there was no regional flying involved, just a carrier subbing out flight(s) to an independent ad-hoc type operation. Seeing there was no regular relation maybe that had something to do with why the original carrier’s call sign was used.

Last edited:

McCrosky

I think it comes down to who’s paying for the flight. I’m the OPs example, the RegionalAir isn’t going to pay MajorAir to operate the flight. MajorAir is getting the revenue for the flight from the passengers who bought the tickets. I don’t see that’s a MajorAir doing a sub but Instead operating an extra section.

Now, if the route is to an airport not in MajorAir’s C70, they should operate as a supplemental flight. Still no need to change to RegionalAir’s callsign in most cases. The only time I recall the callsign change being used (in last lives) was for permits, overflights, traffic rights, landing slots, etc... And if I’m recalling correctly (from the way back when days) there’s someone at the DOT that has to be notified of running a sub service like that (which back then just meant we sent s fax to the guys machine before we took off... no acknowledgment required).

My $.02 anyways