Stuck in Rodchester

z987k

I've never seen the position of duty manager as someone who is authorized to exercise operational control. This ultimately sounds like a loss there of. That or an informal hijacking.

A1TAPE

I've never seen the position of duty manager as someone who is authorized to exercise operational control. This ultimately sounds like a loss there of. That or an informal hijacking.

However when I read the report I (and I think the rest of us) thought this of the whole situation

z987k

However when I read the report I (and I think the rest of us) thought this of the whole situation
Someone not authorized to exercise operational control, more or less seizing it, or attempting to is a pretty big deal. Operational control is a big ticket item for the FAA. I'd be curious what the FAA did in response.

A1TAPE

Someone not authorized to exercise operational control, more or less seizing it, or attempting to is a pretty big deal. Operational control is a big ticket item for the FAA. I'd be curious what the FAA did in response.
Technically duty managers are certificated dispatchers so they are allowed to take over operational control. They do it routinely when a dispatcher has to shift flights off to deal with an emergency with a flight or some other critical situation.

ppragman

Direct Yeska
Almost anybody can be given some level of operational control at an operation. The FAA makes a big deal about OC then frequently ignores major violations of it when convenient.

The Duty Manager replied that they were taking operational control of the flight at that time. I was on the phone with the Captain and handed the phone to the Duty Manager.
Im guessing the exchange was like
DIS: Pop the slides? But they are only supposed to be used for Evacs. Also I have Op Control of this flight so Im responsible for it if something goes wrong.
DM: Ill take full responsiblity for the outcome of this situation. Note that I now am assuming full Op Control of the flight pass over the phone please.
*DM tells CA to pop slide, CA and DM debate about it. DM then personally sends ACARS to CA telling them to "DECLARE AN EMERGENCY AND BLOW THE SLIDE. YOU HAVE 1 MINUTE. EMERGENCY!"
I highly doubt the DIS who relinquished Op Control of the flight sent that ACARS and more likely the duty manager sent it.

I don’t care. I’m not blowing the slide to stop the 3 hr clock. There is no emergency. Facing a financial fine does NOT constitute an emergency on my plane to blow a slide. My firm answer as a Captain would be NO.

A1TAPE

I believe it was always IHOP. I highly doubt IHOP would spend the money needed to change their locations signage and other company materials from IHOP to IHOb.