1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steve O1?

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by AAPalmTree, Jan 7, 2017.

1. MidlifeFlyer

MidlifeFlyer Well-Known Member

He was pretty good for most of the second flight. Then, at the end it comes. FAR 91.126 and the rules of direction of traffic in the pattern, aren't regulatory requirements, they are just "recommendations."

A Life Aloft and Ash Williams like this.
  2. JMK

JMK Well-Known Member

You guys missed the best one!

3. cficollegeguy

cficollegeguy Well-Known Member

This guy exhibits so many hazardous attitudes it's crazy. After browsing through some of his video comments he doesn't take to criticism well, typically responding with very vague and inaccurate interpretations of the FAR's.

JordanD and Ajax like this.
  4. PositionAndHold

PositionAndHold Well-Known Member

Rog generally I agree with you. But flip on master. Avionics master (if you're a fancy lad). Copy atis. Reflect a little bit. Turn off avionics master and master. Read what you've learned. Hop back in. Do the same thing until engine start. Say you have information Victor. Ready to taxi etc. Or if you're a real fancy lad you had a handheld and didn't need to do all that. Or listened to the radio in the FBO. Don't know. Never flown a piston in AK. Just want to needle you a bit.

5. MidlifeFlyer

Ok. I'm almost willing buy that, including views out the side, he technically remained clear of clouds with a mile visibility and was always in Class G at 1200 AGL or less in an area he was extremely familiar with (although I could swear at least at one point, the only 1 mile vis was a patch of blurt straight up!).

But obviously frightening his daughter and demanding she fly so he can take pictures?

6. MidlifeFlyer

ATIS takes 10 seconds and we already know what's out there. There's some basis for copying a clearance ahead of time but the minute it takes isn't a big deal. Takes more time to put it in the NAVs and our aircraft batteries are better used for other things. If you are anticipating a big but relatively definite delay in a release it doesn't help much to do it before engine start.

There are exceptions, of course. We were parked at Appleton during Osh Kosh and when leaving, just about everyone used handhelds because they were giving departure slots.

But for the typical light GA IFR flight, you're not going to gain much.

Roger Roger likes this.
  7. Nark

Nark Well-Known Member

Looking at the chart, IF that was Yosemite, Wildlife refuge and national park. So much for the 2000' requested.

8. AAPalmTree

AAPalmTree Well-Known Member

Who scares their kid like that? Hope he's alone when he eventually augers it in.

9. Roger Roger

Roger Roger Navajo Whisperer

That's all well and good, but most of the time I'm getting my clearance through an FSS relay. Do I really want to sit there draining the battery running the avionics waiting for them to call me back at an outstation? Nope. Plus, since most of our airports are one-in one-out, as soon as I have that clearance I want to be able to taxi out and blast off (barring any remaining time for EFIS spin up and programming), otherwise if I get a void if not off clearance I might add 20+ minutes to a 40 minute flight. I understand things are a little different at the big class B fields but for 99% of what piston GA does there's really no benefit and possibly some significant downsides to grabbing clearance early.

PositionAndHold and bimmerphile like this.
  10. Nark

Nark Well-Known Member

This is fantastic. It's another train wreck of a YouTube star.

11. JMK

JMK Well-Known Member

SteveO or twin cessna guy?
    I like SteveO's videos, I haven't seen the recent ones but he always seemed like a good guy that isn't cocky and enjoys his flying job.

12. Nark

Nark Well-Known Member

Twin Cessna dude. I should have clarified indeed.

JMK likes this.
  13. jtrain609

jtrain609 Director of Operations at Tycho Station.

Pretty sure they changed us to the north side entirely because of you that day.

14. MidlifeFlyer

Out of curiosity, I searched for a few Reddit discussions. I got an explanation of the traffic pattern "recommendation" he mentioned in a video.

Here's the reg:
    §91.126 Operating on or in the vicinity of an airport in Class G airspace.
    (a) General. Unless otherwise authorized or required, each person operating an aircraft on or in the vicinity of an airport in a Class G airspace area must comply with the requirements of this section.

(b) Direction of turns. When approaching to land at an airport without an operating control tower in Class G airspace—

(1) Each pilot of an airplane must make all turns of that airplane to the left unless the airport displays approved light signals or visual markings indicating that turns should be made to the right, in which case the pilot must make all turns to the right;...​

"Without an operating control tower" means a towered airport when the tower is not operating and becomes Class G. It does not apply to a Class G airport with no control tower at all.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    gotWXdagain and Adler like this.
  15. uncreative

uncreative Well-Known Member

Do you have a reference for that? That's not how I understand the reg.

16. learhawkerbe400

learhawkerbe400 Well-Known Member

I just skimmed the video and saw there was meet and greet at the end. Is this dude seriously popular enough to garner this much attention?? Gd nerds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Hacker15e

Hacker15e Virtue Signaling Intersectional Nonbinary Otherkin

I think he's just providing the "explanation" that Mr Jerry was using, not validating it.

uncreative likes this.
  18. cficollegeguy

cficollegeguy Well-Known Member

Yeah I haven't seen that video but that selective interpretation is problematic.

This video scares me a little, it is confusing the way he flies the SID and he seems to lose SA a few times, if he were to fly this in IMC I'd be worried. That and using his yoke mounted GPS to accept direct to destination clearances, etc. I don't like Monday morning quarterbacking situations I am not fully aware of but when you put yourself out there on Youtube expect criticism.

19. MidlifeFlyer

Correct. There are plenty of successful enforcement actions in the NTSB records that Jerry's read is completely off base. The Alaska Airlines one has been discussed her a number of times.

uncreative likes this.
  20. bimmerphile

bimmerphile Open-Air Member

Lol @ the 20' AGL overwater flight with less than an hour of fuel in the tanks