Starting 121 career with Sun Country

Nark

Macho Superpilot
@Flyinthrew I'm not sure I'm in the camp to use the GI bill for a type rating. I used it to obtain a masters. Not that getting masters makes you a better candidate, but I was able to pocket a few extra $$$ per month after it paid for tuition. aka income supplement.

Post 9/11 though, pays the school directly and unless you attended in person, I'm not sure you get a stipend beyond a few dollars to make it worthwhile. (I had to use post 9/11 for the last 3 months of my course).

@Low_Level_Hell are you an IP by chance? I'd recommend that course, if grad school doesn't twist your crank. It'll be helpful outside airline world.
What about guard and reserves? Our unit is hurting to get folks. I'm sure if you want to fly a real helicopter again (hehe), there are dozens of -60 units hiring also. Lastly, do you have any fixed wing time?

Low_Level_Hell

Dude, I was supposed to go on terminal tomorrow for retirement. Now I'm not. The most financially sound thing I can do is let the Marine Corps have its way with me, but that's not happening. As soon as I can get something that doesn't give my family a huge haircut, I'm out.

I've thought about getting a type rating with GI Bill. I don't know how to go about choosing which one.
I was looking into a 737 type, being I just barely qualified for the Sun Country job at the time. As of now I’m saving the GI bill for the kids.

@Low_Level_Hell are you an IP by chance? I'd recommend that course, if grad school doesn't twist your crank. It'll be helpful outside airline world.
What about guard and reserves? Our unit is hurting to get folks. I'm sure if you want to fly a real helicopter again (hehe), there are dozens of -60 units hiring also. Lastly, do you have any fixed wing time?
Not really considering going Guard or Reserve. If I were going to stay in defense I’m better off retiring at twenty and work as a contractor. I’m not an IP. I have about 300 hrs fixed wing with 25 hrs multi engine.

Thank you for the input. Sometimes I wonder if I would have been better off going Guard/Reserves earlier.

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
Not really considering going Guard or Reserve. If I were going to stay in defense I’m better off retiring at twenty and work as a contractor. I’m not an IP. I have about 300 hrs fixed wing with 25 hrs multi engine.

Thank you for the input. Sometimes I wonder if I would have been better off going Guard/Reserves earlier.
which track did you go? MTP, safety, Tac Ops?

nibake

Powder hound
FWIW, Sunny has a good chance of being one of the first to hire again. I wouldn't be surprised to see interviewing start up a ways in advance of hiring when things start to normalize. Every time you turn around the number of amazon airplanes in service doubles, so even if demand partially recovers we could be back to hiring before long. No one can predict demand, but it's possible there would be hiring to fill seats for next winter's vacation flying.