Starting 121 career with Sun Country

NickH

Dank Meme
Navigating MSP really isn't that hard, but it takes 3-6 months of walking a half mile just to find a coffee shop to desensitize yourself to the fact that nothing is near by, no matter where you are in that airport.
It's fine, just use the walkways for their stated purpose. Walking. The name is descriptive.

Autothrust Blue

"Blakeley's face was grave."
Navigating MSP really isn't that hard, but it takes 3-6 months of walking a half mile just to find a coffee shop to desensitize yourself to the fact that nothing is near by, no matter where you are in that airport.
And you may, in fact, get groped when you appear in your coat and hat at that coffee shop.

n156499000

Titanius Anglesmith
And you may, in fact, get groped when you appear in your coat and hat at that coffee shop.
She left before they closed that food court*, went to work for DGS. She now works for SouthernJets on the ramp. Those poor poor widget heads.

Although, to be fair, she was probably the hardest working ramper at DGS in MSP and I honestly miss her wonky stare and super enthusiastic wave off after pushback.

P.S. never bought a new hat after upgrade. Mostly just because I'm cheap.

* Incidentally, what moron at the MAC decided it was a good idea to remodel all but two restaurants between C4 and A13/B16 nearly simultaneously? As if that half of the airport wasn't already sparsely populated with dining choices. Thankfully it's over now that I am no longer based in MSP, naturally.

NickH

Dank Meme
You must be one of those weirdos that walks the whole terminal if your layover is longer than 45 minutes.
I'm a passenger. With a 45 minute layover, I've calculated the time it takes to get to the nearest Skysclub, and how many drinks it will take to survive the next flight. 'Stand to the right please', with an emphasis on 'get the funicular out of the way'.

Autothrust Blue

P.S. never bought a new hat after upgrade. Mostly just because I'm cheap.

Although, to be fair, she was probably the hardest working ramper at DGS in MSP and I honestly miss her wonky stare and super enthusiastic wave off after pushback.
Indeed, though I must say getting felt up on the train (serious) I could do without.

I'm almost bummed I never saw said waveoff, though.

* Incidentally, what moron at the MAC decided it was a good idea to remodel all but two restaurants between C4 and A13/B16 nearly simultaneously? As if that half of the airport wasn't already sparsely populated with dining choices. Thankfully it's over now that I am no longer based in MSP, naturally.
MAC is an otherwise fairly competent body, but I guess they got a super good deal or something, dontcha know, all good.

n156499000

Titanius Anglesmith
Indeed, though I must say getting felt up on the train (serious) I could do without.

I'm almost bummed I never saw said waveoff, though.

MAC is an otherwise fairly competent body, but I guess they got a super good deal or something, dontcha know, all good.
I've contemplated going to M.A.F. Mainline now that I can hold something other than LGA reserve. Perhaps if that happens I shall revisit the hat situation since I will then be among the true elite then flying a REAL airliner (because tail mounted engines don't count for some reason).

She's an odd duck for sure and thankfully I never had anything close to proximal contact, but for all the crap the pilot group gave her she's one hell of a hard worker.

Honestly MSP is generally well run and I do give the MAC plenty of credit for ensuring a smooth operation. But the layout of that airport and the accompanying services (food, etc) leaves a LOT to be desired, especially for those condemned to the regional boondocks. The new central food court area is quite impressive looking and indeed most of the remodeled areas are equally well done. But I spent too much time in that place on RDY and the hodgepodery of the add-ons over the years becomes too obvious after a while with the different building styles. Then again, I also spent enough time there to notice that at the entrance to every restroom has three black lines of carpet as well as the red carpet leading to the boarding doors (and sometimes the location of former boarding doors). There is truly a method to their madness.

Autothrust Blue

But I spent too much time in that place on RDY and the hodgepodery of the add-ons over the years becomes too obvious after a while with the different building styles. Then again, I also spent enough time there to notice that at the entrance to every restroom has three black lines of carpet as well as the red carpet leading to the boarding doors (and sometimes the location of former boarding doors). There is truly a method to their madness.
You definitely spent too much time on RDY. I guess, now that I close my eyes and think about it, you're right.

I didn't like RDY (and only ever got rescheduled out of it once or twice in the bajillion hours of it I sat at OO - truly, there has to be a better way - wait, there is, it's called call-for-release), but there were occasions in which I didn't mind it. Drop your bags and walk laps around the terminal.

n156499000

Titanius Anglesmith
You definitely spent too much time on RDY. I guess, now that I close my eyes and think about it, you're right.

I didn't like RDY (and only ever got rescheduled out of it once or twice in the bajillion hours of it I sat at OO - truly, there has to be a better way - wait, there is, it's called call-for-release), but there were occasions in which I didn't mind it. Drop your bags and walk laps around the terminal.
The ONLY redeeming quality of RDY, it was what got me to break guarantee many of the months I sat reserve. Probably grossed about $15,000 more last year because of it. Thankfully most of it was during gaps between flights and not on it's own.

Autothrust Blue

The ONLY redeeming quality of RDY, it was what got me to break guarantee many of the months I sat reserve. Probably grossed about $15,000 more last year because of it. Thankfully most of it was during gaps between flights and not on it's own.
"Some people actually LIKE ready"

Errbody who likes it other than compensation raise your hands...yup didn't think so.

That entire compensation model was in our "master plan" to address. A daily reconciliation would have been an equal-work-for-equal-pay proposition, and would probably not have cost anyone (on either side) much other than the really weird corner cases. That and call for release. Oh well.

Low_Level_Hell

Welp. Sun Country is no longer doing interviews. I’ve spoken with a regional carrier that said they would interview me but they’re on an indefinite hiring freeze.

On the bright side Microsoft is coming out with a new Flight Simulator. Maybe the best way to realize the dream is to buy a nice PC and a pilot hat.

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
-Never mind the pilots working towards a better contract with better pay being undermined by their management’s ability to fill classes with pilots willing to fly a 737 for near-regional wages.
Like I’ve said, we are back to the early 2000s again. When John Ornstein used to tell the Mesa pilots why should I pay you more? I’ve got a stack of resumes of pilots willing to work for less than you, and in some cases, even for free.

Meant as a joke in the early 1990s, the “will fly for food” t-shirts and signs, sadly became an industry reality.

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
I'm currently looking into VA funded B737 type training, does getting this type of training on one's own look unfavorably to airline interviewers?
if you’ve got the VA $$ and don’t plan on using it for a further college degree or some other education, use it for flight training. You’ve earned it

Skåning

Like I’ve said, we are back to the early 2000s again. When John Ornstein used to tell the Mesa pilots why should I pay you more? I’ve got a stack of resumes of pilots willing to work for less than you, and in some cases, even for free.

Meant as a joke in the early 1990s, the “will fly for food” t-shirts and signs, sadly became an industry reality.
Are you still flying for SP?

Low_Level_Hell

if you’ve got the VA $$ and don’t plan on using it for a further college degree or some other education, use it for flight training. You’ve earned it
That is a consideration for sure. About 15 years ago I paid for my fixed wing certs out of pocket. If a instructor rating or type ratings would significantly change my chances of getting hired I would getbut as of now my GI Bill is going to my kids.

I’m 7 months out from retirement. The most financially sound option for me is to stay with the Apache as a maintenance test pilot contractor, but I just don’t want to.

Looking more towards medevac now.

Flyinthrew

That is a consideration for sure. About 15 years ago I paid for my fixed wing certs out of pocket. If a instructor rating or type ratings would significantly change my chances of getting hired I would getbut as of now my GI Bill is going to my kids.

I’m 7 months out from retirement. The most financially sound option for me is to stay with the Apache as a maintenance test pilot contractor, but I just don’t want to.

Looking more towards medevac now.
Dude, I was supposed to go on terminal tomorrow for retirement. Now I'm not. The most financially sound thing I can do is let the Marine Corps have its way with me, but that's not happening. As soon as I can get something that doesn't give my family a huge haircut, I'm out.

I've thought about getting a type rating with GI Bill. I don't know how to go about choosing which one.

Finny

Dude, I was supposed to go on terminal tomorrow for retirement. Now I'm not. The most financially sound thing I can do is let the Marine Corps have its way with me, but that's not happening. As soon as I can get something that doesn't give my family a huge haircut, I'm out.

I've thought about getting a type rating with GI Bill. I don't know how to go about choosing which one.
737, hands down.