Standing ovation at the gate!?

Jet

How many of you have gotten one of these? I just had my first one and it was a little on the awkward side. I flew into LGA and was running a bit late due to weather holding and when I landed I hurried over to my next plane heading to Rochester. One the way scheduling calls and tells me that they are changing my schedule to go to DCA.
Long story short, the LGA to DCA and back to LGA took over 4 hours with delays. So I land in LGA with voicemails, call the company back and they put me on a Rochester flight. I head over and as I'm walking up to the gate a large group of people stand up with the standing ovation. I thought for a second and realized, wow, this is the original Rodchester flight and these people have been waiting 5+ hours for me. It really caught me off guard and was a little embarrassing but I went with it, took a bow and walked onto the jet-bridge. That was the end of my first 16 hour day.

cmhumphr

My favorite is when they think you are the cause of the delay. Uh, ma'am have you seen the radar?

milleR

That happened to me in EWR a couple months ago. Exact same situation; flight was mx delayed, crew timed out, scheduling cobbled together another a new crew with me extended into a YHZ overnight and a junior man deadhead back home the next day. I was the last crewmember to show up at the gate and everybody started clapping. I couldn't get down the jetbridge fast enough. And THEN, to make matters even worse the captain mentions me by name and calls for another flipping round of applause when he makes his cabin PA. I just wanted to crawl into my flightcase at that point, especially because everybody on the crew was getting screwed, not just me.

dasleben

That's just, like, your opinion, man
My favorite is when I commercial in uniform going to work. Yesterday I went through DTW, where Pinnacle had a 3 hour delay because they were missing an FO. Naturally, I'm sitting there waiting just the same, drinking my coffee, getting sidelong glances from everyone around me. Nope, sorry ma'am, I'm just along for the ride too! :)

etflies

Keeping calm, Chiving on.
Oh, dear lord. That happens I'd say once every other flight. My new response is "I'm the tail gunner." That may need some work though, since I could see some passenger getting terrified at the use of the word "gun."
"there's an app for that"

Probably not original but it seems to work for me.

Pilotdude3407

My favorite is when they think you are the cause of the delay. Uh, ma'am have you seen the radar?
We had one a couple of years ago when we were going to YOW and it got cancelled because it was forecasted to be an 1/8SM +FG VV001 all night and the following morning. The CA (who neeevveerrr talks to passengers cause they have the IQ of wood) decides to go break the news to them in the gate. Well after he tells them some rocket scientist asks him if the real reason we aren't going was because he wasn't IFR certified. (he was dead serious)

Krystal

Dispatch Betty
I got one when I was an FA sitting airport reserve one morning. I got a call from scheduling to tell me that the FA for YVR turn was MIA and it was supposed to go out 45 mins ago. (I had been at the airport for 3 hours, why they waited so long to call was beyond me) So I made a mad dash for the gate. Apparantly, the gate agent had made an announcement that they were missing a FA and were calling in a replacement. As soon as I rounded the corner into the gate area everyone started cheering. lol

ctab5060X

And when you take your seat, "aren't you supposted to be up front flying the plane?"
Oh, dear lord. That happens I'd say once every other flight. My new response is "I'm the tail gunner." That may need some work though, since I could see some passenger getting terrified at the use of the word "gun."
I deadheaded to GNV the other night and had a passenger try and make a joke about me flying the plane while sitting in the back. I looked up at him and told him that yes I was going to fly it from this seat and as soon as he took his seat, they were going to hand me a couple of ropes that were tied to the controls up front so I could fly the flight.

He gave me this weird look and went to find his seat. Didn't hear another word out of him for the rest of the night. :)

cmhumphr

Clearly you haven't flown freight :)
I keed....kinda
No freight or 135 experience, but when the entire airport goes on a ground stop because mother nature started crying like she just got through watching the finale of a soap opera, there's not much anyone can do. lol

We had one a couple of years ago when we were going to YOW and it got cancelled because it was forecasted to be an 1/8SM +FG VV001 all night and the following morning. The CA (who neeevveerrr talks to passengers cause they have the IQ of wood) decides to go break the news to them in the gate. Well after he tells them some rocket scientist asks him if the real reason we aren't going was because he wasn't IFR certified. (he was dead serious)
Just got that problem on my last trip. Newark to Providence and we were delayed 45 minutes. We're all standing by the gate just waiting for the paperwork and my Captain is on the phone with Dispatch and these passengers come up to me and say,"The weather here in Newark is fine, the weather in Providence is fine, what's the problem?" "Well after trying to explain the visibility requirements to them, they then say well we heard that all airliners have autoland capabilities. Is that true. I just had to take a big sigh, and told my Captain I'm going to get coffee.

pullup

Homewrecker

Tell them as a cost cutting measure only one pilot is allowed in the cockpit at a time.

BTpilot

Living the...dream?
Pilotdude3407 said:
Hahaha... Could imagine who this might of been :)

Cruise

I've gotten a couple.....not because flights were delayed or anything like that. They were chearing because my awesomeness precedes me. They heard Captain Amazing (aka Cruise) would be taking them from AAA to BBB. So, of course I would get an ovation....these people were stoked to be a part of something amazing by being on one of my flights.

:D

amorris311

I've gotten a couple.....not because flights were delayed or anything like that. They were chearing because my awesomeness precedes me. They heard Captain Amazing (aka Cruise) would be taking them from AAA to BBB. So, of course I would get an ovation....these people were stoked to be a part of something amazing by being on one of my flights.
I think it's total bull that you didn't give me one when I gave you a ride home. I'm just saying. :)