Spirit OCC Pre-Announcement - Pick your location

Choose Wisely

• Total voters

PorcoRossoDxr

I’ve heard the company wants answers by March/April from employees of whether they intend to move to BNA or leave the OCC and stay in South FL, whether that be through a new company or new department. I’m curious to see over the next few months how many people decide to go. I think the Dispatch department will widely move, however, other departments not protected by a contract are probably in for a high rate of attrition.

Fiji

What an exciting time for those in the NKS OCC.

Unfortunately there will be some that moved 18 years ago from Detroit, who probably thought they'd never have to move a second time. Then there are others who took an opportunity in Florida to never have to wear a winter coat again. While both of these groups have a lot of decision making to do, I think it's worth noting, that with this change, Spirit will undeniably become one of the most desired places to not only start your career, but even finish. Nashville will attract hundreds, likely thousands of applicants over the next few years between all of the different departments the OCC will require as the airline grows into a 350+ aircraft operation. If the NKS PAFCA group can next pull off a competitive contract comparable to Alaskan when renewal time comes around, they will have effectively maneuvered themselves into coveted territory, possibly even ridding themselves of the stepping stone airline status that they are often labeled today.

With MTSU two towns over, the ability to recruit talent was without a doubt in the minds of the decision makers. Regardless of opinion, the choice was clearly a great positioning move to attract the newer generation of workers. Sources indicate that this all came together with minimal time working among local and state government entities which I think indicates the corporate goal of avoiding another overpopulated, overpriced, overregulated, and overtaxed large city metro area. This will not only have a direct benefit at the corporate level, but also at the employee level.

Kudos to the Spirit family who are able to prosper during the next chapter at the airline everyone used to laugh at. There is already some jealousy developing at other carriers. I wish those who have buried their feet in the sand permanently the best. If I give some advice to those on the fence, embrace the change. You're place of work is rising in popularity.

Last edited:

cptruski

I’ve heard the company wants answers by March/April from employees of whether they intend to move to BNA or leave the OCC and stay in South FL, whether that be through a new company or new department. I’m curious to see over the next few months how many people decide to go. I think the Dispatch department will widely move, however, other departments not protected by a contract are probably in for a high rate of attrition.
This is largely the same sentiment many of us at B6 share. Most (I'd say 85%) of dispatchers would move to MCO, if that's where they decide to open the new SOC. Other departments that are not contract, not so much.

manniax

Well-met in the Ka-tet
I've never heard of a company moving an office to a new city and not at the very minimum offering the affected employees a paid move, usually along with some time in a hotel. This was even the case at the cheapest regional I have ever worked for - and we were not unionized, either. So, I am pretty sure that Spirit will offer some kind of package to help out with the move more than just paying for movers, possibly including money for expenses. I know that United did this for the ex-CO employees who moved up from Houston.

who'swho

Don't hesitate. Penetrate!
Has anyone else looked at home prices in the Franklin area? They were eye popping expensive. I'm sure there are reasonable prices within a 30-40min drive but anything close to the new office is going to be pricey. So much for a silver lining for anyone who is upset about the move.

CF34-3B1

I was thinking the same thing. Plenty of areas in TN are way cheaper the south Florida, but BNA isn’t cheap at all.

FlyingSioux1

What are y'all talking about? This house is only $1!

That $58 HOA fee will really get you though

manniax

Well-met in the Ka-tet
You can still go. A huge paycut to leave DFW might be worth it. Even more so to leave it for a place like BNA.
They probably will be hiring some, to replace people that choose not to move from FL. Worth thinking about I suppose if you have ties to the BNA area. I personally would stay in DFW, but everyone has their own preferences on where to live. Might be a bit harder to travel out of BNA than out of one of Spirit's hubs.

IamNegan

Years ago - My wife and I looked at living in the BNA, she is from there and attended law school there - it's a wonderful place to live and a great place to raise a family....in reality, even now - the cost of living in the area is better than FL.

One thing have to understand, in FL most homes are so close you could throw a ball at your neighbors house and hit it with very little force - in the area where NK is going to go, you may have about 50-100 feet (if not more) between homes. So, it may seem expensive but your lot size is 5x larger than most homes in FL. The surrounding area away from Franklin are beautiful.