Spirit OCC Pre-Announcement - Pick your location

Choose Wisely

• Total voters

Wingy

I think you misunderstood what I meant. Spirit in the near term would steal employees from Allegiant, and would potentially have to make Allegiant pay a semi-decent wage to their dispatchers.

Would be interesting to see how Allegiant would respond to Spirit moving their SOC to Vegas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, I understood what you meant, but I don't believe you understood what I meant. And AGAIN, I'm talking non-dispatcher employees because the dispatchers are under contract/CBA, and, therefore, are more likely to maintain their pay and be protected so long as they leave FL with the company.

So, yes, spirit could "steal" other airlines employees with a slightly higher pay figure, but spirit would get them at a steal by not paying them FLL pay. Like, hypothetically, let's say A employee (not under a CBA, probably from crew scheduling) from Allegiant is making 50% what the equivalent Spirit employee, B, is at, which is 100%. So spirit moves to Vegas, drops their B person, and picks up A person by only paying them 75%. Employee A wins 25% increase, the company saves 25%, and poor B employee is dropped.

I've lived through it.

But yeah, I agree with METARd, they're going to Detroit. And probably going steal CKS employees with promises of better flight benefits.

Frenchie

With all the speculation this has gotten very interesting. My cousin works for Spirit (not dispatch) in FL and she’s clueless to the move as well.

Edit: any idea when they’ll drop the location?

who'swho

Don't hesitate. Penetrate!
Rumor has it the company is in negotiations about it with the union. My guess is, they won't announce it until after a move package is sorted out.

flynryan692

There is a new corporate center being built in Vegas. Anybody could be the "potential tenanats", but it makes you wonder with the rumors that are swirling.

Sanson Companies is currently negotiating with potential tenants. The first phase of the center is expected to be completed in the spring of 2021. AXIOM’s estimated completion date is around the fall of 2022.

Hondo Calrissian

I love chicken wings and beer....
There is a new corporate center being built in Vegas. Anybody could be the "potential tenanats", but it makes you wonder with the rumors that are swirling.

Well, have lived in Vegas my whole life, there is always construction going on - especially now with the AHL now coming to Vegas with a new smaller arena slated to be built and the completion of Allegiant Stadium and our minor league baseball team just moved into a new ball park this past year. The growth here is simply crazy with this project one of many, especially in southwest Vegas. There is lots of opportunity here with both small and big business - Spirt could find a home here in Vegas, anything is possible for sure.

I live a little further south in Las Vegas, closer to Henderson and in the last year, the growth has been hectic. Amazon is getting ready to open its 8th distribution center end of this year

Sorry for the little tangent but I would not be surprised if Spirt found a new home here in Vegas, it’s a base and they also run simulator training here. It was rumored years ago back in the early 2000’s when they were looking to move its HQ, Vegas was on the short list. I am not sure what commercial property is like in Florida and what the tax breaks are like but Nevada in general has some nice take breaks. But it maybe what the long term plan is for Spirt, one pointed out merger - which could happen at some point in the next 5-8 years but honestly, I do not think Spirt would leave Florida but I could be wrong.

LAS makes BNA sound appealing to me
I will admit, BNA would be a cool place to live. My wife is from Memphis and I enjoy going back to TN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dx8709

JMO but I don't think OCC leadership wants to wait that long. My guess would be a move this year into a facility that is already built. Possibly before hurricane season starts again.

PorcoRossoDxr

JMO but I don't think OCC leadership wants to wait that long. My guess would be a move this year into a facility that is already built. Possibly before hurricane season starts again.
They would have to give employees at least 6 months notice before the actual move.. so if they don’t make a formal announcement before March, they will miss peak hurricane season and will just look stupid.

mrezee

Living the dream!
I have a feeling NK will get a lot more people applying for dispatch after this announcement. I know quite a few that refused to go there solely because of the FLL location (myself included) and others that would go there specifically because it's Nashville. Plus, MTSU (which has a Flight Dispatch degree program) is right down the road.

bbmikej

I have a feeling NK will get a lot more people applying for dispatch after this announcement. I know quite a few that refused to go there solely because of the FLL location (myself included) and others that would go there specifically because it's Nashville. Plus, MTSU (which has a Flight Dispatch degree program) is right down the road.
I would have applied there instead of staying at regionals as long as I did if it was in BNA

Wingy

I think NK will get a ton of applicants either way considering I know many people who applied solely because it is in FLL.

manniax

Well-met in the Ka-tet
There is no amount of money to pay me to live or work in FL, TN is much more appealing than FL...I think there may be a few who would agree..

I know guys who were looking forward to getting our of FL when AirTran/Southwest merged.
Personal preferences vary widely...I know some people absolutely love Florida. Having lived there for a year myself when I was in the military, I don’t really see the appeal. I did like it better than the (admittedly brief) time I’ve spent in Tennessee. However, I have some co-workers who, like yourself, are very fond of TN. Getting to work in a city/area that you love living in is the exception and not the rule in this industry. Thank goodness for flying and jumpseat benefits.

Hondo Calrissian

I love chicken wings and beer....
I have to agree with Negan - TN is more appealing to me than FL and I think I'd echo that same feeling with a few other who I know...
TN is cheaper to live than FL - I think life there is nicer but I am also an outdoors guy too.

That would be a good poll to do to see where people would rather live....FLL or BNA