Spirit OCC Pre-Announcement - Pick your location

Choose Wisely

• Total voters

Altimeter

I don't think BNA would necessarily be a bad choice from the company's perspective. No one in town there to steal away employees and MTSU is right there. Just my observation but MTSU grads have been everywhere in this industry lately and seem to have made a good name for themselves. Wouldn't be the worst idea to try and tap that resource.
It's easy for people to threaten to quit but when the senior people are making 6 figures and still 10+ years away from retirement they sometimes shelve those threats. I've seen it happen.
If it was BNA three years ago I’d have gone and stayed forever. Cost of living 30 min from the airport is dirt cheap, oh yea and I’m from there. I’m happy with AA, but Dallas kind of sucks.

Wingy

I have a friend high up at NK says that LAS is highly being considered - No State Tax in Nevada plus tax breaks for companies who relocate/establish in Nevada.

I also spoke with a friend who does commercial real estate in Las Vegas told me there is 3 large companies who have been scouting out locations in Las Vegas but would not (could not) say. So, I would not be surprised if Las Vegas is the new city.
I could definitely see it being LAS or DFW. Plus both are spirit bases.

Flagship_dxer

Legacy Airline Dispatcher
If it was BNA three years ago I’d have gone and stayed forever. Cost of living 30 min from the airport is dirt cheap, oh yea and I’m from there. I’m happy with AA, but Dallas kind of sucks.
Spirit isn't moving because of a merger or acquisition. This move is to lower the cost of doing business. Whats to say in ten years or less that wherever they move to becomes too expensive. This could be one of many moves for someone younger.

Vinnyv88

Spirit isn't moving because of a merger or acquisition. This move is to lower the cost of doing business. Whats to say in ten years or less that wherever they move to becomes too expensive. This could be one of many moves for someone younger.
The company has come to realize it may be better off in the long-term having it's essential employees in a 'lower-risk' geographical location. The OCC Go Team activation is a last-minute logistical nightmare (albeit they've handled it well) when we have south Florida in the cone of a tropical system. So it's risk first... then the cost of doing business second.

I do not see NKS OCC personnel moving again after this outside of a merger/acquisition. IMO.

METARd

For what it’s worth, Spirit has begun posting jobs based in Detroit. Not sure if they’ve done this in the past. I’ve also heard Detroit rumored to be where the operation is moving to. No official source.

PorcoRossoDxr

For what it’s worth, Spirit has begun posting jobs based in Detroit. Not sure if they’ve done this in the past. I’ve also heard Detroit rumored to be where the operation is moving to. No official source.
Just skimmed through the career pages. Looks like it’s for maintenance positions. DTW is home to a spirit maintenance hangar. I wouldn’t look too far into that.

paincorp

Would be interesting to see what happens to Allegiant if Spirit moves to Vegas.

Spirit’s pay is far higher, so Allegiant would probably start to bleed people if Spirit moves there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scarebus

They have to know they would lose most of their people if they announced a move to DTW. I would resign even if I was topped out.

manniax

Well-met in the Ka-tet
They have to know they would lose most of their people if they announced a move to DTW. I would resign even if I was topped out.
Detroit Suburbs are actually pretty nice and your housing dollar would go a long way there. But yes, it would be a rude shock to the system to go from never having cold weather to a Midwest winter every year. I suppose we'll find out soon enough.

Wingy

Would be interesting to see what happens to Allegiant if Spirit moves to Vegas.

Spirit’s pay is far higher, so Allegiant would probably start to bleed people if Spirit moves there.

It might be higher now, but that's the part of the reason they would move. They would give lower salaries to new hires in the lower cost of living area. (Again, I'm thinking of those who aren't under a contract, like scheduling, crew training, IT, HR, etc.)

And on the point about losing a workforce should they move to DTW, again, wouldn't that be the point? No longer paying someone South FL pay and instead replacing them with someone who would work for Detroit/Nashville/wherever pay?

I've seen things, man.

paincorp

I think you misunderstood what I meant. Spirit in the near term would steal employees from Allegiant, and would potentially have to make Allegiant pay a semi-decent wage to their dispatchers.

Would be interesting to see how Allegiant would respond to Spirit moving their SOC to Vegas.

METARd

According to the pay spreadsheet here Allegiant pays relatively the same as Spirit? Granted the top out pay at Spirit is significantly more, but 1st year pay at Allegiant is higher.

METARd

Point was, it’s not like Allegiant is paying their dispatchers $16/hr. I don’t think they’ll start “to bleed people” to Spirit, if hypothetically they move to Las Vegas. But who knows.

who'swho

Don't hesitate. Penetrate!
It might be higher now, but that's the part of the reason they would move. They would give lower salaries to new hires in the lower cost of living area. (Again, I'm thinking of those who aren't under a contract, like scheduling, crew training, IT, HR, etc.)

And on the point about losing a workforce should they move to DTW, again, wouldn't that be the point? No longer paying someone South FL pay and instead replacing them with someone who would work for Detroit/Nashville/wherever pay?

I've seen things, man.
Pays in more ways than one to work under a CBA.

flynryan692

I think you misunderstood what I meant. Spirit in the near term would steal employees from Allegiant, and would potentially have to make Allegiant pay a semi-decent wage to their dispatchers.

Would be interesting to see how Allegiant would respond to Spirit moving their SOC to Vegas.

Allegiant has a 4% higher starting pay than Spirit, what's not semi-decent about their pay? I know top out is on the low end compared to Spirit and Frontier but I don't really see an issue, Vegas isn't that expensive compared to DEN/FLL. I don't think Allegiant would be affected by this at all, unless there are people really willing to leave their seniority at G4 and reset their pay for the prospect of the higher top out at Spirit. I guess everybody is motivated by different things.

Delta Echo

Allegiant has a 4% higher starting pay than Spirit, what's not semi-decent about their pay? I know top out is on the low end compared to Spirit and Frontier but I don't really see an issue, Vegas isn't that expensive compared to DEN/FLL. I don't think Allegiant would be affected by this at all, unless there are people really willing to leave their seniority at G4 and reset their pay for the prospect of the higher top out at Spirit. I guess everybody is motivated by different things.
LAS housing prices are constantly rising. Also, saying top out pay isn't a big issue is not correct. It may not motivate someone senior enough to jump ship, but there are mid and low seniority folks that would be looking at that. You also fail to mention Spirit's schedule compared to Allegiant or the fact Allegiant dispatcher's insurance is far better than Spirit's.