1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spirit captain possible drug overdose

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by rausda27, Mar 17, 2017.

1. jtrain609

jtrain609 Director of Operations at Tycho Station.

They were a victim of addiction, it looks like. Imagine how bad they must have felt knowing that their addiction came before their kids.

I don't blame people like this, I mourn for them. A puritanical approach to these types of deaths does nothing to solve the problem of addiction or substance abuse. If anything it shoves the problem further under ground, fencing off those who would seek treatment because of the moral outage associated with admitting that they have a problem.

2. Bob Ridpath

Bob Ridpath Pit Bull love

There are several on here who have done things such as these which follow, and who remember these moments with clarity, in dreams if no where else.

I am neither special, nor unique. Still, I have helped bag the bodies of those who died of overdose (both intentional and not); cut the wires of a man, found by his thirteen year old son, which bound him on purpose to the electrical panel in his home; slipped in the brain matter of a gal who swallowed her twelve gauge; cut down teen-aged hanging victims, or taken them from a car long run out of fuel in a closed garage ... I have given meaningless last rites as a minister, and held the spouses and sons and daughters of the dead while they cried, wondering what they had "missed," and how so, in someone they loved and thought they knew.

Although no longer a man of faith, I understand that our human condition is complex. People die every day, for both ordinary and extraordinary reasons. Drugs mask a pain which can't be shared, though t'would be better if it were. The first step to counseling can yield a better end than the first step off a high Hudson River bridge; yet despair knows no logic and depression is neither swayed by reason nor stifled by love.

Children who once laughed freely and loved life grow into adults who can't. Their final freedom becomes the enduring burden to bear for those who loved them.

Life is rarely as simple as it seems, nor as black and white. We can mourn all who die, I think.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    inigo88, bksslc, Crop Duster and 13 others like this.
  3. Boris Badenov

Boris Badenov He comes to save the day in a broken truck.

Stealing that. Also, well said.

...not sure about the Monkees.

4. Lunchbox

Lunchbox Well-Known Member

That news story is true.

5. Maximillian_Jenius

Maximillian_Jenius Super User

Don't EVER say HIMS on here. You'll summon a demon into our midst, he'll be here soon. Watch.

IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!

gotWXdagain, pullup and AAPalmTree like this.
  6. BobDDuck

BobDDuck Gone whale watching...

yeah... not something to joke about max.

#### the "demon". (filter intentionally avoided)

Maximillian_Jenius likes this.
  7. Itchy

Itchy Well-Known Member

It makes me wonder if foul play was involved.

8. Roger Roger

Roger Roger Navajo Whisperer

Well, also with heroin you don't have to decide to try drugs, lots of folks get their start because of narcotic pain relief prescriptions.

Kingairer likes this.
  9. Derg

Derg Naval Intelligence, MCRN Staff Member

My sister in law died from an opioid addiction. I knew she was heavy into it after a knee replacement and I'm not sure of what else she was doing in addition, if anything.

I've kind of developed a "cold dead heart" to these things. I know it was the chemical speaking, but no amount of reasoning, "you're going to destroy your life and especially your children's lives" or Facebook dislikes/hugs/sadface emojis were effective. She liked it you weren't going to stop her and, after all, her approach was "if it's legal it's got to be safe, right?"

No.

Ungh.

Boris Badenov likes this.
  10. pullup

pullup Homewrecker

Why not? What he said was hilarious.

11. Autothrust Blue

Autothrust Blue mash buttan

Right. :rolleyes:

Yep.

There but for grace—or whatever—go I.

Eagle421flyer and Boris Badenov like this.
  12. Richman

Richman Well-Known Member

This. Same experience as Derg.

The natural stuff is bad. The genetically tailored/hybrid stuff is worse. The synthetics will turn someone's lights out if mishandled in the tiniest way.

If someone has even the smallest proclivity for addictive behavior, the synthetic stuff is the Devil incarnate.

Richman

13. Derg

Derg Naval Intelligence, MCRN Staff Member

Sorry man.

Yeah, it's nasty stuff. It's opioids and synthetics are the worst kept secret on Earth and it's not getting any better.

14. Bob Ridpath

Bob Ridpath Pit Bull love

I don't get it, honestly. Stuff's available, people screw-up. We all die, generally alone, in every circumstance - both good and bad.

It's not a goal to which anyone aspires while they play Little League or endure fifth-grade math and social studies. It isn't a demon anyone beats easily once he climbs upon their back. Almost everyone who dies was once a babe-in-arms, held close at a breast while suckling or bottle-fed.

The loss is real, however unrequired (so to speak) at the moment, for the potential unfulfilled.

Both the righteous and the damned end up with the same amount of ground, relatively speaking, for eternity.

Is it so hard to mourn the potential lost, the promise unfulfilled, whatever the reason?

15. gotWXdagain

gotWXdagain Highly Visible Member

That's some deep Jim Casy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

16. KaiGywer

KaiGywer Well-Known Member

As a cop, I feel bad for opioid addicts. Way too many otherwise very successful people are addicted to opioids, usually as a result of a prescription for pain at some time. The problem is that opioids are prescribed way too freely by doctors and are very addictive. With the "recent" influx of fentanyl, carfentanil and other synthetic opioids, many addicts are accidentally overdosing on them. Dealers will cut their heroin with fentanyl to increase their profit. Also, there are instances of fake pills being sold as a real prescription pill, when in reality, it's fentanyl.

Boris Badenov and Bob Ridpath like this.
  17. MikeD

MikeD Administrator Staff Member

An overheard from an heroin OD patient's acquaintance while we were on scene:

".....he figured it's safe, you know, because you guys will show up with that narcan stuff and save him if he OD's. That's what they all figure....."

Kind of difficult to have empathy for someone who thinks that way. Especially when there are legitimate medical needs out there from people who aren't being needed to be saved from their own stupidity, yet here we are stuck on scene and out of service with this clown. Ambulances, fire vehicles and their associated paramedics, are not your personal pharmacy. And just like the rest of EMS, your emergency isn't my emergency.

Stupid actions, have stupid consequences. That's called life.

18. jtrain609

Fentanyl is one hell of a drug. It was given to my wife when she had kidney stones recently, and it managed to eliminate the pain for about 20 minutes before even that wasn't effective.

But if you've ever had a kidney stone before, you can imagine how powerful of a drug it would take to eliminate that kind of pain. I can't imagine taking something like that to get high, and it's no wonder users aren't surviving the experience.

19. MikeD

MikeD Administrator Staff Member

It's one heck of a pain killer. And people are morting themselves taking it indeed, not just pure, but even as mentioned before, when its mixed with other opioids. Ole Darwin is smiling down on that situation.

20. jtrain609

After watching that one I couldn't believe that doctors would send people out of the hosipitsl with a drug like that. This was given in an IV in a very controlled environment. Giving a drug like that to an average person is like giving them a hand grenade with the pin taken out and instructions to be careful.